sony vaio old 896 problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
gcosner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

sony vaio old 896 problems

Post by gcosner »

i have a2.8ghz sony vaio laptop and an old 896 not hd,cannot get cuemix to lauch(windows xp sp2 w/885222 etc loaded)tried what turned out to be an adaptec pcmcia fw but had nec chipset,still didn't work.I have a pcmcia fw on order w/ti chipset . does anyone think this will work?also driver i have is downloaded from motu3.5.3.2
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

get rid of SP2, see what happens.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
gcosner

sony vaio laptop old 896 problems

Post by gcosner »

sorry forgot to mention that I tried that also.with no luck.the strange part is that you can pull up the smpte panel and the audio panel and change meter programming clock rate etc,I have also downloaded the soft ware/ reinstalled too many times to count,hoping the card i have ordered will solve the problem.
RichC123

Post by RichC123 »

I too, seem to have the same problem as you. One answer I got was that the old 896 does not support a software cuemix but does support a hardware one? I'm still confused. Then I thought I could use the 8 outputs and send then to a mixer so that I could monitor live input that way - I still couldn't make it happen seemingly because the 896 will only allow monitoring of one stereo pair at a time. Again, I'm still confused.

How do you determine if you have the 885222 patch? Is that from microsoft? I'm running SP2 and I let it update automatlically as it requests, so do I have it? Still confused?! You bet! And I have to overdub tracks staring Friday night! No pressure.......!!!

Rich C
gcosner

sony vaio laptop old 896 problems

Post by gcosner »

Rich-I tried to load 885222 w/o service pack 2 & windows wouldn't let me do it, so i'm thinking you have to have sp2 to load that.motu told me(i feel fortunate to have gotten through ,twice even)885222 would fix the problem w sp2 but cannot offer any help until I'm sure that I have TI chipset in my fw card.I'm also relying on downloaded software from motu as I don't have the original(bought unit on Ebay).I tried to use "Kristal"last nite but it makes my computer lock up,but it did seem able to recognize all 8 analog ins and would allow you to output all 8 as 4 stereo pairs,haven't tried it yet because my mics/cables and board are at the location where I'm recording right now.I'll repost if it works,hopefully will finish bass and guitar sat nite.and have my equipment back home,I'm very new to this(recording)but have done live sound in the past so I don't even know if Im doing things "correctly" but we seem to be getting decent results with very little investment in equipment(behringer 32 eurodesk,OLD hd recorder lots of eqs and compressors)I just thought I could use the motu to maybe mixdown back through the board to 2 tracks and then burn to cd so maybe there is something better for my application--