DP + Airfoil 2024?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP + Airfoil 2024?

Post by Irimi Nage »

I have a DP setup in my basement where I record drums. Mac mini + Apollo x8p

Upstairs is a more comfortable, treated “main” room running DP, where I want to listen to takes sent directly off DP’s master fader in the basement. Like to receive it on an aux track upstairs. Upstairs is a Mac studio + Apollo twin duo mk2

The sessions are 32 bit fp / 48k.

Can I use Airfoil for transmitting/receiving, all though DP? I’ve tried it in the past, a few years ago. I couldn’t get it to work at that time.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: DP + Airfoil 2024?

Post by mikehalloran »

Rogue Amoeba thinks you can.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

I wouldn't count on anything involving Bluetooth, however due to its inherent latency. WiFi may work these days depending on your network. If your max speed is 5k over 802.11ac, a router upgrade may be necessary. WiFi has come a long way in the last few years and 802.11ac is so 2013.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Latency with Airfoil is significant (in seconds, not ms). In the past, I recall it could do some latency compensation when working with some video formats, but not sure if that's still the case.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Sounds like a big ol NOPE then
Thanks for the input!

Anyone use anything else that’s working well for this task? I’ve used Listento but I don’t love the subscription model.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is running balanced audio cable out of the question?

I run audio around my house via an FM transmitter which has no latency-- but the fidelity is just ok.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

I’d rather avoid it. It’s a possibility, though an expensive and complicated one (if I did it at all I’d want to fish about 24 channels worth on Ethernet cables). Atm I just wana hear takes in the other room.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Irimi Nage wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:54 pm I’d rather avoid it. It’s a possibility, though an expensive and complicated one (if I did it at all I’d want to fish about 24 channels worth on Ethernet cables). Atm I just wana hear takes in the other room.
Hmmm... I don't know... but just throwing this out there... maybe some sort of bluetooth transmitter and receiver might work. Range might be an issue however:

Transmitter:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ransmitter

Receiver:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... h-receiver
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

That’s an interesting idea James thank you. It’s no more than 40 feet but that’s through two floors, I’m not sure it’s got enough beef :D

It’s weird how most of our computers are amply outfitted for this but are utterly unable to pull it off. It’s just sending stereo audio over WiFi it shouldn’t be this hard lol
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Irimi Nage wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:16 pm That’s an interesting idea James thank you. It’s no more than 40 feet but that’s through two floors, I’m not sure it’s got enough beef :D

It’s weird how most of our computers are amply outfitted for this but are utterly unable to pull it off. It’s just sending stereo audio over WiFi it shouldn’t be this hard lol
Hmmm... just thought of something. THIS might be able to do it:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... Connector/

If both computers are on the same network, pretty sure you can put the transmitting plugin on an insert on the main output bus on one computer and then put the receiver plugin on an insert on a different computer or other app that accepts plugins and transmit the audio over a network connection.

You may have to do a little reading on this, but this might do what you need. Actually on closer inspection, seems like this might really be a viable solution. There's also a demo. I know the developer... he's a solid guy and his products are top notch.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

I tried it about a year ago, I didn’t get anywhere with it. Thanks tho!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Irimi Nage wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:41 pm I tried it about a year ago, I didn’t get anywhere with it. Thanks tho!
Really? That's odd. Hmmmm... I'm tempted to give it a shot right now over my own network and see if I can send audio from DP over to my office Mac. Can't see why it wouldn't work. Might want to give it another shot.

Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

I forget the details, it might have worked but had too many artifacts or something to that effect
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have no idea what your latency would be like, however.

I had the same issue (sort of) where I liked to track vocals out in a soundproofed rehearsal room that was a separate structure from my house. Hate to say, I did it the old fashioned way... REALLY old fashioned with an analog snake for the audio. I ran a 50 monitor cable out there and then had one of those Gefen USB > Ethernet adapters to connect a keyboard and mouse back to my MacPro in my control room.

Ugh... you might just need to go hardwire... especially if you want to be able to track... dunno.

I know Blue Cat Audio has a new product called FaderHub which is supposed to allow for very low latency collaboration. Maybe this might be pressed into service somehow?

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FaderHub/

Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Ooh I was unaware of that one, nice find! I would definitely have use for that
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Irimi Nage wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 pm Ooh I was unaware of that one, nice find! I would definitely have use for that
Maybe you can try the demo and see if it would do the trick?