UltraliteAVB Windows 8.1 reinstall, no sound SOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
alex2035
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraliteAVB Windows 8.1 reinstall, no sound SOLVED

Post by alex2035 »

Hello, Im back at the Forum after probably one year, when after buying an Ultralite AVB for my home use I was lost in the matrix... I overcame this thanks to some really helpfull members, and could work on Mac and Windows alternately without any problems, until Windows 8.1 crashed forever and I had to reinstall. I took oportunity to do it on a SSD drive, was surprised at the speed of everything, better than SSDs at the studio.
First thing I did was update system and install MOTU Audio Driver, the Ultra had already the newer Firmware. Well, it would not recognize the interface at all, I could not get sound from it although the system sound faders showed activity when fed sound.
To make things short, I spent 2 days changing version drivers, and installing all MS Visual C++ Runtimes I could find, because the problem starts with a popup "The program cant start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime |1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling.." and then Motu Zeroconf would not start the service, thus, no interface.

I filled a TechLink at MOTU but have received no answer yet, last year I spent 30 minutes at the phone with them to hear the tech man telling me they had no Windows machine, so...
Ill be thankfull if any of you guys have experienced this or have an idea how to deal with it.
alex2035
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UltraliteAVB Windows 8.1 reinstall, no sound SOLVED

Post by alex2035 »

OK, I did solve the problem, I am posting the solution in case somebody has the same situation. I went to Microsoft Support page, there I looked for "Universal C Runtime for Windows" , downloaded and installed. Rebooted, problem solved, sound appeared inmediately on Ultralite, and also my Spitfire Labs app booted normally ( it refused with the same message).

In the meantime I was surprised to receive no response from MOTU support, I see many posts where people praise them so much, well, it was not my case, last year in a phone call to a support tech he said "we dont have any windows machine here...", go figure. And now, just waiting...if you ask me, bad experience.
The opposite is true with this forum, I remember I posted my 2018 problem and received a lot of help promptly, I am sure somebody would have chimed in with this but luckily I got it right. Thanks MOTUNation.