Symphonic Instruments versus EWQLSO

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

loff56
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Symphonic Instruments versus EWQLSO

Post by loff56 »

So, here's the BIG question for those of you that might have both SI and EWQLSO. Which is better?

I currently use EWQLSO Silver edition, which is somewhat limited because it's the Silver edition. The price of SI is very comparable for what it would cost me to upgrade to the Gold version. And rediculously cheaper than what it would cost to upgrade to Platinum. (Granted, I just don't have the resources finacially or hardware to go Platinum anyway). So any thoughts on a comparison between SI and EWQLSO (particularly the Gold edition)?
G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, 250 Gig HD, 200 Gig HD, 600 Gig HD, OSX 10.5.2, MOTU Traveler, MOTU 8Pre, DP 5.13, EWQLSO Silver, Blue Bluebird Mic, Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro, Korg Triton Extreme
MrVideo

Re: Symphonic Instruments versus EWQLSO

Post by MrVideo »

I just posted a topic on the MachFive forum asking about using EWSQL with MachFive.

I would like to purchase Symphonic Instrument and while at Guitar Center, I noticed that they have EWSQL Gold on sale at HALF OFF this month.

I just would like to know IF EWSQL can be used with MachFive sucessfully.
What Else?
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

I just checked out the East/West site at www.soundsonline.com and they are having a big kick ass 1/2 off sale on many of their sample packages including the Platinum.
What Else?
RMD Music

Post by RMD Music »

The Answer is No concerning using EW stuff with Mach V. The only sampler it will play in is Kontakt. The libraries are coded a certain way only to be played with NI sample players and Kontakt. I haven't used the new SI plug, I will get it this week, but it looks sweet and I'm almost certain it will be better and have instruments more than the Silver edition, which I have. I'd spend my money on the SI before the SilverGold ESQLO stuff.

RD
Randall Derchan

MacPro 2.66;Macbook. DP 5.12, Logic, Pro Tools,
Kontakt, EWSQL, Colossus, VSL, MX4, Ivory, MSI, MEI, GPO, Miraslov, UAD-1, Ozone, Ensemble and everything else Mac...
barton1899

Post by barton1899 »

1. EWQL Symphonic is vastly superior to MSI, in my opinion. I've been using Silver, and I'm about to upgrade to Gold.

2. EWQL Symphonic is on sale at half-price because they are about to release the "Pro" versions (Silver, Gold, Platinum), which will feature a major expansion in articulations, etc. I'm waiting to buy Gold Pro in one transaction. The Pro versions are scheduled for roughly September 1. Their website is a mess, but if you dig around, you can get a list of the Pro improvements.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

In my opinion there is no comparision between SI and EWQLSO. I have the EWQLSO Gold as well as the Plat. Strings.

I picked up SI, but honestly probably will never use it.
SeikoT123

Post by SeikoT123 »

Sorry for a slightly off-topic question, but are the EWQLSO Gold and Platinum samples mutually exclusive? Doesn't Platinum incorporate everything Gold has but adds more? Or are all the EWQLSO libraries made up of distinct (i.e., non-overlapping) samples?
westla

Post by westla »

EWQLSO Plat. incompasses all the Gold samples, but also adds all three mic positions, and is 24bit.
qo

Post by qo »

16-bit

westla, this is the one thing that nudges me to look into SI. I have EWQLSO Gold and, as you say, its samples are 16 bit. Are SI's samples 24 or 16?

Thanks!
westla

Post by westla »

Originally posted by qo:
16-bit

westla, this is the one thing that nudges me to look into SI. I have EWQLSO Gold and, as you say, its samples are 16 bit. Are SI's samples 24 or 16?

Thanks!
qo,

It uses the 32 bit UVi engine.

But I gotta say, and to each his own, but to me, and all the other film composers I've talked with here in LA (and no, I haven't talked with all the film composers) no one thinks this is a professional product that you could use in a film or broadcast. Compared to EWQLSO ond VSL it's in he minor leagues.

Now that said, as a temp sound library, for a laptop or away from your main room, it might be useful.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Is EWQLSO what ships with Sibelius? That was my impression. I was so horrified at the quality of both the basic and the enhanced editions of the sound sets for Sibelius that I got steered away from EastWest stuff. The historic instruments helped put SI over the top for me. GPO is pretty good for the money, but SI sounds more realistic to these ears (for that boxy sound, I'll go to my Kurzweil PC2r instead). VSL isn't a fair comparison as its cheapest version is way beyond the price of these other products. That said, I prefer SI to VSL's entry-level product as well. And I do soundtrack work (though so far, only for local productions -- and now some of you are going to tell me I'll never "make it" unless I put myself in debt for the rest of my life by buying VSL -- forgetting that physical controllers make a bigger difference anyway, and I have plenty of those, from Kurzweil ribbon controller to Yamaha WX5 wind synth to Roland HandSonic, etc.).

<small>[ August 15, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Mark Schmieder ]</small>
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
westla

Post by westla »

Not sure what ships with Sibelius ... but I'm sure it's not the real library.

As far as comparision VSL Opus 1 is listed at $1100, and EWQLSO Gold is listed at $995, so they're comparible (I know that you can buy the Gol Edition on sale for $500 now)

All I know, and I'm just talking from my experience, most compsers here in LA is using either VSL or EWQLSO for there libraries.

Again, this is just my opinion, but MSI isn't even close to these libraries in terms of quality. It is a fine tool for mocking things up while composing (maybe while your away from your main rig), but I wouln't up it on the air.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I was mistaken; Sibelius uses Sonic Implants, as that is what Kontakt Player generally ships with for its orchestral sounds. I got confused by the "Gold" name.

I would never want a sample library to be my final recording; just good enough to get me attention so that hopefully a real orchestra would play my works at some point.

As Gary Garritan himself says, he doesn't want to put symphonies out of business -- quite the opposite.

By allowing non-professional composers to better realise their works, there is more chance that they will be heard and performed by a live orchestra, thus keeping live symphonic music alive at a time when orchestras are dangerously close to extinction in most of the world outside Asia and Latin America.

I am more interested in physical modeling than sampling; especially as I am very proficient at woodwinds and certain stringed instruments and keyboards.

No matter how good the samples, unless there is some modeling involved, I find it extremely difficult to get an organic result.

Just my skill set (or lack thereof), I suppose. I'm more of a player, writer and arranger, than a deep MIDI programmer.

So hopefully MSI, especially with its set of historic instruments and wide variety of bowing styles, will prove helpful, even if it won't get me taken seriously by Hollywood (not where my interests lie anyway).

<small>[ August 15, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Mark Schmieder ]</small>
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

SIbelius ships with some stock Kontakt sounds. I don't believe they have anything to do with East West sounds. They are (and here's where the confusion sets in) called Kontakt Player Silver and Kontakt Player Gold. I agree with you that they are NOT good.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
dynamix

Post by dynamix »

Sitting tight for GPO ADVANCED here.

Erik

<small>[ August 16, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: dynamix ]</small>
http://www.dvbmusic.com

Dual 2 Ghz G5, MOTU 896, OS 10.3.9, DP 4.6, Mach 5, Kontakt 2.2, MX4, Reason 3.0.5, GPO, Absynth 4.0.2, B4 Organ II 2.0.3,. MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM w/ MOTU Traveler & MOTU Bag w/ OS 10.4.10, DP 5.12