BMI - endless waiting for cue sheets to register

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BMI - endless waiting for cue sheets to register

Post by Tripi »

So, I've always had a great relationship with BMI, and this post isn't a problem with them. I'm just going crazy trying to get some cue sheets to show up on my BMI catalog. I've worked on network shows before where the cuesheets pop up a week after they are submitted. I've worked on other things that take a month, sometimes 3 months. I've got two tv movies playing in rotation right now, and it's really bugging me that the cue sheets do not show up on BMI at all. I have a tv show that I finished scoring a year ago that still hasn't shown up. Every time I call the production companies, they swear it has been sent in already.

Anyways - I'm really just trying to figure out when the latest BMI can receive these cue sheets to count for the quarter that the shows aired. I would think that the cue sheet could be entered the day before quarterly distributions..... but I'm not really sure. Any ideas from the Motunationians?

thanks!

tripi
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
bralston

Re: BMI - endless waiting for cue sheets to register

Post by bralston »

Just call the Film/TV dept here in Los Angeles. Ask to speak with with Doreen Ringer Ross (Vice president of BMI for the Film/TV division)...or if she is not available, one of the assistants in that department. They should be able to expedite the process for stuff that has already aired. They have helped me out with similar situations like you are describing.

I believe I was once told that you have about 3 months (1 quarter) after it first airs to get it registered and tracked. Up to a year if it is a foreign show or broadcast. And if you have specifics about when and where it aired...that can help them look out for it for your account too.

So...just call their Los Angeles office and ask for film and TV and explain...and someone there will help you.

I agree that their cue sheet submission process and entry needs to be addressed and improved. They have a direct computer entry system for cue sheets...but only the big studios have access to it. For other smaller projects, submitting manual sheets or to cuesheets@bmi.com is the only way and things take FOREVER to appear. It is definitely a problem...especially in this computer age where we expect things to be registered and up there quickly.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Thanks Brian. I know Linda and Doreen here in LA... but I always feel like my petty cue sheet go fetch requests are kind of a burden on their time. I knew Linda's assistant pretty well.... but she left recently. Guess it's time to make another friend over there.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well if you guys find out who really knows how to manage cue sheets I'd love to know. There are a few duplicate titles in my rep @ BMI and it is causing me no end of headaches. 25 minute bgr cues are paying at 2.5 seconds. I've been to BMI in NY (in person) as well as calling BMI in LA but no one seems to be able to delete or change the errant cue sheets. <sigh>

At least the live classical stuff is reasonably in order, but I get the BMI anxiety stress illness every 3 months now every time something that airs doesn't show up - again. I have the same impression that my measly little shows (mostly in Europe, BTW) don't make a big enough profit for them the care over at BMI.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS