Results of a recent song-writing session

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
markwayne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Results of a recent song-writing session

Post by markwayne »

Okay, this is not finished product. There was only time for a rough mix and, obviously, no mastering. The vocalist is a woman that I've worked with on a bunch of jingles, and in several bands and casual gigs over the last eight years. She brought in some lyrics and we tried writing a couple of things together for the first time last year and this is some of what came out.

Everything tracked and mixed in DP 4.61 except for the drums and groove elements which were all done in Live 4.1 on a PC (gasp!) which was then slaved to the Mac via MTC. I'm having a hard time being objective because of our friendship and her health issues. All suggestions welcome.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslangford/w ... eFloor.mp3

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslangford/w ... odrain.mp3

thanks,
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
DigitalGod

Good rain coming down. Beautiful.

Post by DigitalGod »

I really like this song, you must of been going for the blues a'la Bonnie Raitt feel with the slide. If you were it came through. The guitar is very well done, good taste.

(If I may cautiously say this may be what the other song needs).

The song does need stronger drums and the keyboard seems faint but this song has alot of potential in my opinion.

I'd throw it into my playlist Itunes.
It has the appeal of a standard being returned to, nice lyrics.

You and your long time friend wrote it?

I'd push this one.

It's soulful.

Get me a good copy I can download, aiff or wav, once you're sure it's final and I can almost absolutely get it played on a friend's christian radio station here in my home town if you want.

Jimmy
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

Thanks very much. Yes the slide guitar was a tip of the hat to Ry Cooder. Bonnie Raitt is, obviously, a huge influence on my musical partner (Peggy Hoskins). We weren't thinking of Bonnie but the song just went in that direction. (I have since had to dig through her entire catalog as so many people have asked if it's a Bonnie Raitt cover I was getting scared.)

The problem is that I'm so close to this stuff that it's really hard to be objective. We tend to write two or three tunes every time we get together.

Thanks for the tip. I'll go back and check out the drums and keys. I played everything (obviously) and we were moving at a pretty fast clip. This copy was just for getting copyrights secured and to sell at some local gigs.

thanks for the feedback,
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
swampfox

Post by swampfox »

I can invision greatness in this song. I don't usually coment on these posts. But this one got my attention. I believe people would buy this. I believe it could be a hit on the Country charts, or pop either for that matter. GREAT SONG.

Wally Smith
Temple GA
Music is not a job for me, It's a passion.
Mac Pro 8 core
Mac G4 dual 1ghz
DP, Finale, Amadeus, Toast all latest versions.
Several other apps
MOTU 2 MTPAVs, 24IO, 828.
2 Allen Heath MixWiz
Several Roland, Yamaha, Alesis synths, Yamaha P120 keybd, Roland GR-50 Guitar synth with Fender Roland Ready Strat. Various inexpensive Shure SM57s,58s, AT 4054,4050,MB4k, (GASP) Beringer B1,C2,Headphone Amp. DBX 166,266, Alesis RA300
soulful strut

Post by soulful strut »

Wow, really good work here...I don't have much more to share, other than that the whole is as great as the individual parts, and the sound and production is very smooth and groovy.

Great job!
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

Thank you both very much for the kind words and positive feedback.

It nice to hear as we've recently lost a long-standing house gig due to changes in some local, alchohol laws and I just lost a studio client who felt his demo was sounding too slick and pretty. (I really wasn't really sure how to reply to that one.)

thanks again,
Wayne
also in Georgia
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hit the Floor: Outside of the sampled drums, for which I have a personal distaste, this is a really good song and recording. Excellent job on the mix, vocals and instruments. But, most of all, nice composition and good vox work.

Good Rain: Excellent production with the aforementioned proviso about the drums. It has great playing, singing, vibe and feel. However, the composition seems a bit generic and forgettable... no memorable hook or lyric theme. But, take this critique with a grain of salt: This is coming from a guy who thinks the blues is a moribund art form. Not my cup o' tea, FWIW.

But, I do enjoy the funk. 4 stars for Hit the Floor.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Really dig the funk track.
The sampled drum kits sound a bit flat to me
(on either track)
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

Thanks so much for the comments. Yeah, the funkier tunes are closer to my heart as well. I wanted to be James Brown in the worst way when I was six.

My acoustic drum programming chops are obviously not where I'd like them to be. What do you think I could do to liven up the drums other than to use a real drummer? (My room is sadly inadequate for live drums.)

thanks,
Wayne
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Cool stuff there Wayne! Diggin' the funk tune. Vox & grt is the rage there.
drums.. well yeah I agree it needs some mojo. Have you tried reamping?
I've been thinking of doing that myself since digital drum kit always sucks in my own projects. Something is always lacking.

T
Jim

Post by Jim »

markwayne wrote:Thanks so much for the comments. Yeah, the funkier tunes are closer to my heart as well. I wanted to be James Brown in the worst way when I was six.

My acoustic drum programming chops are obviously not where I'd like them to be. What do you think I could do to liven up the drums other than to use a real drummer? (My room is sadly inadequate for live drums.)

thanks,
Wayne
I had a bad case of the JBs ever since I saw The TAMI Show movie when I was in junior high. Then, I saw JB perform in Dallas in '68, when he was in the top of his form... did the cape thing... the whole bit. Quite a show. Clyde and Maceo were in the band. I was hooked.

My drummer bias tells me that there's no way to get a live drummer feel without a live drummer, unless you can find some loops from a live drummer that would fit or you could patch and stretch. It's not so much the feel that's the giveaway, it's that sampled snare drum sound that I've heard a million times.

You could get Dave Weckl to post-drum it for $1000. I might be willing to give it a go for... well, PM me if you're interested.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance