Am I Missing Something?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Am I Missing Something?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I just finished having my solo guitar album mastered. Piper Payne at Neato Mastering in Nashville (you may recognize the name from the Waves mastering videos) did an amazing job.

So, while I’m waiting for the right time to release the project, I noticed two tracks that have slightly longer tails than the others, so I thought I’d trim them in DP.

I recorded the project at 48kHz 32-bit. I got back a full range of file formats, but the “high res” files are at 96kHz 24-bit. I created a new DP project at 96/24 and dragged in a couple of those files, but was surprised to see background processing churning away on import.

Questions/concerns:
1. What is DP processing when I bring in 96/24 files to a 96/24 project?
2. Am I at risk of losing any of the wonderful analog tonalities from mastering if I bring a couple tracks back into DP?

After too many years of playing loud music and standing in front of trumpet sections, I’m not sure I trust my own ears to hear every subtlety any more. Please help me not do anything stupid.

Thanks, gang.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Phil O

Re: Am I Missing Something?

Post by Phil O »

Just stab in the dark here, but maybe it's creating analysis files.
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Phil O wrote:Just stab in the dark here, but maybe it's creating analysis files.
Hmmm…. Could be. I’ll check when I get into the studio later today. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:23 am Just stab in the dark here, but maybe it's creating analysis files.
It’s definitely doing that and finding beats if you have that turned on. If you have Automatic Conversions turned on, is it also converting to 32bit float? Easy to check. If you aren’t familiar with doing that, I can post screen shots—much better than me describing it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

What Mike said. There are three places in Preferences to look at to control DP's behavior when importing audio, (this should change IMO, but I digress), and your general audio setup: Background Processing, Automatic Conversions, and Pitch and Stretch. Along with looking at your Project Settings, either docked in Transport or in Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Audio Driver.

So for instance I wanted DP to analyze beats on some 35 year old songs I was remixing lately, but Pitch and Stretch are turned off. This way these tracks that were played to a sequence in Performer could be used to tell the conductor to align to the beat of the drums etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.