44.1 and 48 k samples

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

44.1 and 48 k samples

Post by twistedtom »

I have been doing some nature movies in 5.1. I have recorded a lot of sound at 48k to remix into my clips. I also use some sound effects samples 44.1 and cd's 44.1 as well. Dolby needs 48k. I do not like the sound of samples dithered from 44.1 to 48k. I can not find samples I need at 48k. The only work-around is to play the cd, ect. through my mixing board into DP. and record it at 48k. How are any of you dealing with this?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
lightningad

Re: 44.1 and 48 k samples

Post by lightningad »

Are you using DP's own conversion utility?

I use it a lot and find no problms whatsoever with sound quality.

Also if you are making for TV, don't forget that no-one watches TV with studio quality audio monitors, the broadcast method actually reduces the quality of the sound (nicam is definitely NOT "cd quality" and most people watch nature shows with the volume fairly low.

If the conversion software is not to your liking, then your only real option is as you described - digitize through your desk...but then if your being that picky, be careful you don't induce more noise into the signal!
"silly keeps you sane"
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I am doing the 5.1 for a set of dvd's. I will give dp's convertion anothe shot and do a test both ways and see what sounds best to me.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
jonwerx

Post by jonwerx »

Another option, (for the audio from cds at least) would be to import the audio at 48k using iTunes. In the iTunes preferences, choose "importing". When the dialog window opens up select "import using aiff encoder" (instead of mp3 if that's how it's set). Then in the "settings" area, choose "custom" (instead of automatic). With the custom setting you can choose whatever sample rate you want to import.
This was a cool feature in iTunes that I was recently turned on to myself by another in another forum. For your 44.1 samples, I think Quicktime Pro may be another way to convert. All the best!
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Hay that is one I never thought of, I hardly use i tunes. I'll try it in QTP also. Thanks.