828mk2 crashing SX2, powerbook,

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
darkblueman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828mk2 crashing SX2, powerbook,

Post by darkblueman »

hello all, first post. ive read through and searched and havent found this exact issue, so i decided to post.

i am trying to solve an issue for a client. i am not as profeicient in MAC audio troubleshooting as in PC.
what we have is a powerbook with an 828mk2. we were on OSX 10.2.7, and sincei left she has updated to panther. (and thus everything that follows is for 10.2.7. i wanted to gather info before i go back tomorrow, thinkinf the update may have helped.)

when playing a song with one audio track in Cubase SX2, 828 connected and selected as audio driver in SX setup, SX crashes after about 5 minutes. in the experiments she did before we met, each crash was followed by another sooner one.
result 1 - crash after about 5 min.
result 2 - GUI froze, yet music kept going.
result 3 - crash after 5 min
result 4 - crash after 1.5 min
result 5 - crash after .5 min.

im not sure if between these crashed, she restarted SX and/ or the OS.

when i did it, it always crashed after a few minutes, usually with an error message OR a POOF!
i unplugged the motu, and selected core audio as the output in SX setup, and it STILL crashed! i dont know if there is anything else in the OS that should have been done to really make SX not think the motu is there....an extension or something...?

in HER tests, disconnecting the motu and playing back the same one audio track SX songs resulted in no crash (but i know she didnt change the SX driver to core audio.)

i reinstalled the motu drivers while there, and updated to newest via motu site. but im thinking there was more ot uninstalling than i knew. i also updated SX from 2.0 to the newest, 2.2.0.39 i think.

so any advice is much appreciated. since panther was installed, ive had her 828 - teseting it myself here with SX on PC, and its worked SOLID - ill be there tomorrow.

im thinking

uninstall 828.
reboot
uninstall SX.
reboot.
install/ update 828.
test playback with itunes / already installed player app.
install update SX.

what if any extra steps involving "cleaning" OSx, extensions, etc, added to the above can i do to help solve the issue?