8Pre USB PAD disabled

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
unitard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8Pre USB PAD disabled

Post by unitard »

Hi all!
I recently purchased a new 8Pre USB to use with my 2019 MacBook Pro (OS 12.7.1) and also as a standalone without the Mac. However I use it, I'd like to "Engage the PAD switch to apply a -20 dB reduction in level" as advertised and described in the manual. With a 1/4" cable inserted into an input, the "PAD" button for that input becomes disabled. When I remove the cable I can re-enable it. I've tried reseting the 8Pre but no success. I've tried other cables with the same results. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Phil O

Re: 8Pre USB PAD disabled

Post by Phil O »

I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong, but pretty sure) that the pad is in the mic preamp stage. So, when you plug in a 1/4" cable you are not using a mic and have bypassed that stage. That's my take anyway.

What is your application where you need to use a pad with a 1/4" input?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Each analog input has individual front panel controls, including a preamp gain knob, 48 volt phantom power on/off switch and -20 dB pad switch.There is 48 dB of preamp gain for the mic input and 39 dB for the quarter-inch instrument input.
All I can find in a quick review of the manual. I suspect Phil is correct.
unitard

Post by unitard »

Thanks for the replies! I suspected something like that but I never saw a mention of it. The 48 volt phantom power on/off switch becomes disabled also.
Phil O wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:29 am What is your application where you need to use a pad with a 1/4" input?
I'm running 7 channels of various eurorack mixers and VCA outputs, plus one channel for a Boss DR-55 into the 8Pre USB. The eurorack outputs run hot so I was trying to account for the loudness. I'm able to adjust the 8Pre's individual track volumes and the outputs of modules to manage levels without distortion etc. I mostly would like to confirm that my device isn't malfunctioning.