MOTU M4 - 3&4 Inputs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Zichniy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU M4 - 3&4 Inputs

Post by Zichniy »

Hi! Can you tell me if the M4 inputs 3 and 4 are separate or is it the left and right channel? If I connect the instrument to only 3 input, will it play in both ears or only in the left?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M4 - 3&4 Inputs

Post by mikehalloran »

Zichniy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:42 am Hi! Can you tell me if the M4 inputs 3 and 4 are separate or is it the left and right channel? If I connect the instrument to only 3 input, will it play in both ears or only in the left?
Depends on how you set the Monitor.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb-c ... _Guide.pdf
10. Engage the MON (monitor) button to enable hardware
(direct) monitoring, which routes the channel’s input
signal directly to the outputs and pans the mono signal
evenly across both outputs (1-2). A blue box appears
around the input channel number in the LCD to indicate
that hardware monitoring is engage. Press and hold the
MON button to engage stereo monitoring for both inputs.
In this mode, Input 1 is routed to Output 1 and Input 2 is
routed to Output 2, allowing you to monitor in stereo while
recording in stereo
There is no mixer in the M series. 1&3 pan hard L over USB; 2&4 pan hard R. In your DAW, this only affects stereo tracks where your Input is 1/2 or 3/4. Your mono tracks will see only one track—the track's stereo output will see the track the same on both R/L.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro