828x + Mac OS Ventura + M1 MacBook Pro not working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jpgringo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x + Mac OS Ventura + M1 MacBook Pro not working

Post by jpgringo »

Hi, after about a 6-month hiatus from music making, I tried to turn my setup on about a month ago and… nothing. I've tried a lot of combos of un-/reinstall, swapping cables, etc. and have established that the 828x works just fine (with my Windows laptop from work and with my daughter's non-M1 MacBook, also on Ventura), that my laptop works fine with other interfaces (my Zoom U44, for instance), etc. While connected to the Windows machine, I updated the 828x's firmware to see if that would help (it didn't, but didn't break any of the other setups, either.)

I'm running Mac OS 13.1 (22C65), CPU Type: Unknown, CPU Speed: Unknown, L2 Cache: Unknown, L3 Cache: Unknown, RAM 64.

I posted to support ticket with MOTU almost immediately, still nothing. Any advice or redirection to helpful resources, etc., would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
mikehalloran

Re: 828x + Mac OS Ventura + M1 MacBook Pro not working

Post by mikehalloran »

You installed this driver, I assume. If not, this is the correct one:
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
Some of this (System Settings/Privace & Security) has changed for Ventura. Hopefully, you'll be able to figure it out from this document that references Big Sur. It needs to be done within 30 minutes of the driver install — if you miss that, reinstall the driver and try again.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... audio-inst

If this doesn't do it, please tell us what has changed when you hear back from MOTU Support.

In your DAW, you must allow access to the Microphone. That setting is also in Security.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jpgringo

Post by jpgringo »

Hi, Mike
Thanks for that… I had done that before, but went through the steps meticulously once more to make sure I hadn't missed anything. No luck.
please tell us what has changed when you hear back from MOTU Support.
I certainly will! However I've been waiting a full month now with nothing other than the automated acknowledgement, so I'm not optimistic we'll ever hear back on this one. More than a little disappointed, I love my MOTU products… but if it goes more than a couple more weeks then I think I'm going to have to start looking at other vendors :(
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jpgringo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:27 am Hi, Mike
Thanks for that… I had done that before, but went through the steps meticulously once more to make sure I hadn't missed anything. No luck.
please tell us what has changed when you hear back from MOTU Support.
I certainly will! However I've been waiting a full month now with nothing other than the automated acknowledgement, so I'm not optimistic we'll ever hear back on this one. More than a little disappointed, I love my MOTU products… but if it goes more than a couple more weeks then I think I'm going to have to start looking at other vendors :(
Take a look at this thread, also from yesterday.
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73015
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nagma22
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by nagma22 »

jpgringo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:16 am Hi, after about a 6-month hiatus from music making, I tried to turn my setup on about a month ago and… nothing. I've tried a lot of combos of un-/reinstall, swapping cables, etc. and have established that the 828x works just fine (with my Windows laptop from work and with my daughter's non-M1 MacBook, also on Ventura), that my laptop works fine with other interfaces (my Zoom U44, for instance), etc. While connected to the Windows machine, I updated the 828x's firmware to see if that would help (it didn't, but didn't break any of the other setups, either.)

I'm running Mac OS 13.1 (22C65), CPU Type: Unknown, CPU Speed: Unknown, L2 Cache: Unknown, L3 Cache: Unknown, RAM 64.

I posted to support ticket with MOTU almost immediately, still nothing. Any advice or redirection to helpful resources, etc., would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Sir, I have a question, Why is your MOTU 828x not working with your M1 MacBook on macOS Ventura, even though it works with other computers and interfaces? I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks