Restrictions on how many insert plugins can be displayed

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Restrictions on how many insert plugins can be displayed

Post by wilkinsi »

I'm not referring to how many use can insert per channel, I mean how many plugin windows can remain visable at the same time. It would seem the number of monitors I use is irrelevant (1x HDMI, 1xVGA). Lets say I use 7 inserts, 1 on each track. 6 were dragged over to the VGA monitor. But clicking one of them in the insert panel of the mixing board causes the 7th plugin window I left on the HDMI monitor to disappear. Its not as if anything isn't working, and I'm not complaining. I just wonder if this is normal?

I was also wondering if at the same time, there is a limit as to how many seperate windows you can have - one for the mixing board, another for the sequence editor, etc. I mention this as I remember a NAMM photo where a DP10 project was spread across at least 3 monitors.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
FMiguelez

Re: Restrictions on how many insert plugins can be displayed

Post by FMiguelez »

That sounds very familiar...
How do you connect the VGA monitor to your MacMini? I think might be related to it.
If you use something like DisplayLink, that's the culprit right there.
In my case, I had to delete everything related to DisplayLink. It is such a piece of crap!

Having the mixer in the VGA monitor made DP stutter. A QT movie would bring it to its knees. The moment I dragged those windows to the HDMI-connected monitor everything was fine again. Console reported hundreds of errors related to DL. Uninstalling it was a bit of a problem too.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Are you sure it's closing and not just being sent to the background behind your main window? In the plug window mini menu there are two 'float' options. You can set the default to float all plugs or do each one individually. Floating keeps them in the foreground. Check that setting for your disappearing plugs.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Not familiar to me. I've never thought about this, and it seems odd that there would be a limit. Just tried it out, and got to 12 plugin windows showing at once on my old MBP before concluding there is no practical limit.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8