SCAM or real deal

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
lampostudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SCAM or real deal

Post by lampostudio »

I have an interesting situation. I received an email out of nowhere from an artist in Africa that want to come to America to record in my studio. He wants to know if I accept international money orders that can be deposited in my account. He talks like he knows about recording but it just sound fishy to me. Anyone else ever get these kind of request?
Al
Al Chisare
Lamp Post Studio
www.lprstudio.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

It sounds like one of the popular scams that a lot of us getting from some relative of a prince in some African country who wants to give you a lot of money for doing a transaction for him.

But, it should be easy enough to check out. Tell him you don't work with international clients without a retainer and have him wire a down-payment deposit to your account... say half the anticpated session fee.
qo

Post by qo »

I wouldn't tell him anything about your account. Period. If he specifically asked about your account, then IMHO you need to watch out.

My first question to him would be "Who referred you to me?"
jon

Post by jon »

I agree with qo. I had a friend who was a part-time car dealer. He fixed then sold his rare autos on the web and had a similar type situation. He rather found him self in a pickle and being taken as well from an overseas customer. You know the saying when something is to good to be true it is probably not. It may not apply in your case but always check your sources thoroughly.
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
lampostudio

Post by lampostudio »

I asked why he would need my account info he said he needs to start right away and there is no time to mail a money order, I haven't heard back but that just happened. He said he got me from the internet. No way I give bank acct info. ... I guess when it sound to good to be true it is..
Al Chisare
Lamp Post Studio
www.lprstudio.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

lampostudio wrote:I asked why he would need my account info he said he needs to start right away and there is no time to mail a money order, I haven't heard back but that just happened. He said he got me from the internet. No way I give bank acct info. ... I guess when it sound to good to be true it is..
Good for you, Al! Sounds like you dodged a bullet on this one. There is no way you should give out account information. I bet this guy is calling every recording studio he can find online with this scam.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
qo

Post by qo »

James Steele wrote:I bet this guy is calling every recording studio he can find online with this scam.
Darn, he hasn't called me yet. I need to have a talk with my Marketing department. Oh, wait, I'm my Marketing department! :mrgreen:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Have you guys never done a wire transfer?

You call your bank and ask them for a number for your account (that includes the bank number), you give it to somebody, and they can use it to deposit money in your account. It's not as if you're giving away any confidential info that they can use to heist you.

Never written a personal check?

Every time you write somebody a check, you give them your account number. This is no different. How many unsavory people to whom you've written checks have busted into your account and violated you? None, I bet. Banks are usually diligent about not giving your money to anybody who asks for it. That could be bad for business.

You could also use an escrow system, like Paypal or others, where his money is held by a third party until you both give the authorization to disburse.

If this guy from Africa is legit, you may be turning down a cash cow. As I said, you're wise to be alert. That's why you should ask him to put up or shut up, and show some good faith.
jon

Post by jon »

When I acquire a new (potential) customer no matter where he or she is from the first thing out the customers mouth has never been where can I wire the money even before any type of negotiation is drawn up. If the customer has not been referred to me by someone I am familiar with I like to get to know them at least just a bit before any action cause I am not eBay nor a bank. You are absolutely right though on your final point and to quote Geddy Lee Show me don't tell me always applies.
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
lampostudio

Post by lampostudio »

As per the origanal post.
Here what he is now asking.

••• He sends me a certified International money order for $5000 U.S. dollars from Africa.
••• I deposit the money order.
••• After the money clears I WIRE $4000 to the producer in the UK for traval expences.
••• I keep $1000 as a deposit in my account.
••• When the band arrives they pay the balance in cash.

Sounds like a money laundry, no?
Al Chisare
Lamp Post Studio
www.lprstudio.com
maintiger

Post by maintiger »

i had a guy in uk who wanted to buy my old G4- same scam, send me a check for $5000, somebody picks up the G4 and I mail back $4000

well, the check came in and we deposited it in the bank. Of course it bounced but I was just out the bounce check fee. If i hand't waited for the check to clear and had send his contact $4000 i woould have been out that money- do not do it, its definitely a scam :!:
Xavier Calvera
DP 6 dual G5 2.0- 828mkii-
apogee rosetta - Mach Five, Atmosphere, Stylus, Garritan, Soundtrack,
more soft synths...
check out my latest DP project at www.theorishasarecoming.com more on www.lordtiger.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

lampostudio wrote:
It makes me wonder why he won't wire the UK producer directly.

Still, a money order is as good as cash if it's a real money order from a real bank. Since he's given you the option to let it clear before you proceed, you have nothing to lose... financially. That is until you get to the "balance" part of his proposal.

Why don't you write him back, and ask why he can't wire the UK producer directly without getting you involved. Just tell him that acting as intermediary or paymaster is going to increase your paperwork and tax reporting, and would have to be accompanied by an extra premium or surcharge. If he's not legit, and figures that you're above a shady deal on the side, he'll move on to greener pastures.

Something to remember is that a lot of these scams depend on the greed of the mark to succeed. If you signal that you're open to a little something for nothing, it makes you their prey. After you say something like, "let me run this past my lawyer (or priest, or cop brother), you'll know more.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

lampostudio wrote:As per the origanal post.
Here what he is now asking.

••• He sends me a certified International money order for $5000 U.S. dollars from Africa.
••• I deposit the money order.
••• After the money clears I WIRE $4000 to the producer in the UK for traval expences.
••• I keep $1000 as a deposit in my account.
••• When the band arrives they pay the balance in cash.

Wow... this is just getting weirder and weirder. It makes me think of something... and that is through bad experience I have come to believe in "trust the little voice inside you." It's saved me money and great injury before. I hate to be so cynical... I don't know how to tell if it's legit, but sometimes rather than expose myself, if I'm feeling out of my depth, I just pass on something. Yeah, why they don't wire the UK producer directly doesn't make sense. Furthermore, if he can send a money order to you and wait for it to clear, why not do the same with the UK producer?

The biggest question is what is it about *you* that has this person so persistent? Why wouldn't he just move on and contact other studios by now? This whole situation would just make me feel queasy.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
lampostudio

Post by lampostudio »

Thanks, funny you should say that. Here is a copy of the email I just sent him.

I will keep you posted so if this is a scam others won't get burned.

Abraham,
How could it take longer to send $4000 to the UK and $1000 to me as
opposed to sending me $5000 waiting for it to clear then having me send
$4000 to the UK?
Why not just send me the deposit of $1000 and a $4000 money order to the UK.
In fact you don't need to send me a deposit at all when you show up at the
studio on the assigned day in a few weeks just bring cash. That seem like
a better plan than mailing and wiring money all over to people either you
or I don't know. You know the UK people but I don't and you don't know me.
For all you know I may not even have a studio.

Trust me I don't want to turn away a Christian brother and I would like to
work with you but to be honest, something sounds wrong here. It seem to me if your willing to trust that I won't split with your $5000 you should be
able to trust that I will be here when you get here to record without any
money exchanged prior to the session. I would have nothing to gain by not showing up for the session and just because I would have a $1000 deposit does not assure you that I'll show up for the session.

I'm sorry but in this day and age I am forced to be as gentle as a dove
and as wise as a serpent, even to the point of losing a good client.
If you are indeed a Christian believer as you say, I know you will understand.
In Christ
Al
Al Chisare
Lamp Post Studio
www.lprstudio.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

You handled that well, Al. You'll know soon enough if he's for real. Usually, if you start asking questions, the scammers will blow.