Misleading Demo - Symphonic Instrument

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Misleading Demo - Symphonic Instrument

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For more details on the new MOTU demo, see related thread.

But has anyone noticed the caveat on the demos:

"ALSO FEATURES"?

They tastefully advise us that other sample libraries were used. You listen to the demo and think "Wow! Ethnic voices!!!" But those came from Ultimate Soundbank Vocal Collection.

There are several other sources credited which left me wondering what exactly am I buying?

To put this in another context, you check out the Apple site and they show you a video of the Mac running all this great software, but fail to tell you you need to buy another $1,000 worth of Adobe products, a Intuos tablet, a flat screen monitor and color laser printer.

Well, that simply does not happen. And while MOTU does advise us that other products are "also featured," THEY ARE SELLING A SAMPLE LIBRARY AND A PLAYER, damn it. And they really should provide samples that are limited to THAT product and not frame it around other samples which make them look good.

Where does the MOTU stuff end and the other stuff come in?

I really think this is rather deceptive and was done to conceal any flaws that might be present in their sample library. At least Garritan lets you hear HIS library without extras from someone else.

Add to this that the buzz was all about the violin solo in some Euro site touting Symph. Inst. Turns out that the violin WAS a REAL violin! THAT piece of info was not on the Euro sample site I saw. And is that sample now on the MOTU site with a credit as such. I didn't see it, but even if it is, I still say it is highly questionable to provide samples of a library for sale in this manner.

Garritan has my $$$ and I don't think MOTU will see a sale to Burbank at my address any time soon.

MM
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sdfalk

Re: Misleading Demo - Symphonic Instrument

Post by sdfalk »

Exactly..
If something about it bothers you, don't buy it.
Me, I'll wait until a copy arrives at my local music shop of choice and is installed.
Then if I like it, I'll buy it.
I really could care less about advertising practices.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
ABECK

Post by ABECK »

I agree that demo samples should include only pieces created with the application being advertised (no FX or supplimentary instruments). What does it say if the best examples of the software include outside material?

However, it looks like MOTU does specifically list where other samples are used.
thracks

Post by thracks »

Personally, I don't see this as a big deal. There are plenty examples of "M.S.I. only". The demo with the live violin was very helpful (to me). It gave me a good idea of how the plug-in will integrate with real instruments. Audio demos from many different vendors often do this. Look at the audio demos for the Korg Legacy Collection, almost every audio demo uses other sound sources not included in the final product. In fact, now that I think about it, more often than not the online audio demos I hear include other products. It's not at all deceptive as long as it is spelled out clearly, as it is on the demos MOTU has put up. Plus, I don't think MOTU had anything to do with that Euro site officially, so you can't blame MOTU for creating unworthy hype. ;)
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
Rush909
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Rush909 »

I agree thracks.. besides, the elements they are adding from "other sources" do not influence the product they are selling... Bass and drumloops from other libraries do not "intersect" with what MOTU is offereing, which is essentially an orchestral library... when I listen to these demos I usually listen to everything BUT what the company explicitly is telling me I would not be getting as part of their product... Now If MOTU did not mention what elements are not from the library or if they say that certain elements were from the VSL or something :) then I would be worried....

r.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

To note: MOTU offers a pretty large variety of mp3 samples here.

You get to hear SI tunes with other third-party instrumentation (which is how it'll often be used in practical situations), SI-only tunes and a bunch of single instrument samples. And all are labeled as such, so there's no duplicity to my mind.

From all this data, you can generally surmise what SI is capable of.

<small>[ July 29, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: heavypick ]</small>
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by sdfalk:

Me, I'll wait until a copy arrives at my local music shop of choice and is installed.
But isn't that an advertising practice?
studiodog

Post by studiodog »

Ever bought a Big Mac that looked like the one in the commercials ?
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Originally posted by studio dog:
:D :D :D :D :D
True dat.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
MIDI Life Crisis

Originally posted by heavypick:
Originally posted by sdfalk:

But isn't that an advertising practice?
West LA Universal doesn't know if they will get a demo copy. If they don't, there will not be an instore demo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Originally posted by studio dog:
Or a Whopper for that matter!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
woodlakesound

Post by woodlakesound »

Originally posted by MIDI Life Crisis:
For more details on the new MOTU demo, see related thread.

But has anyone noticed the caveat on the demos:

"ALSO FEATURES"?

They tastefully advise us that other sample libraries were used. You listen to the demo and think "Wow! Ethnic voices!!!" But those came from Ultimate Soundbank Vocal Collection.

There are several other sources credited which left me wondering what exactly am I buying?

To put this in another context, you check out the Apple site and they show you a video of the Mac running all this great software, but fail to tell you you need to buy another $1,000 worth of Adobe products, a Intuos tablet, a flat screen monitor and color laser printer.

Well, that simply does not happen. And while MOTU does advise us that other products are "also featured," THEY ARE SELLING A SAMPLE LIBRARY AND A PLAYER, damn it. And they really should provide samples that are limited to THAT product and not frame it around other samples which make them look good.

Where does the MOTU stuff end and the other stuff come in?

I really think this is rather deceptive and was done to conceal any flaws that might be present in their sample library. At least Garritan lets you hear HIS library without extras from someone else.

Add to this that the buzz was all about the violin solo in some Euro site touting Symph. Inst. Turns out that the violin WAS a REAL violin! THAT piece of info was not on the Euro sample site I saw. And is that sample now on the MOTU site with a credit as such. I didn't see it, but even if it is, I still say it is highly questionable to provide samples of a library for sale in this manner.

Garritan has my $$$ and I don't think MOTU will see a sale to Burbank at my address any time soon.

MM
Since you caught the caveat you do not need to expound on how deceptive it is. It is actually rather illustrative of how the library DOES interact with other sounds not included. It's all there for the discerning musician to sort out and really not all that deceptive to the intelligent consumer. Just listen to the examples on the preset examples page. That is what one needs to check out.
Cory
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

What's the problem?

They have songs using nothing but the MSI, and they have songs showing how the MSI integrates with other samplers or live instruments. If you think this isn't a problem, you've either got not much experience in this area, have been very lucky, or are an amazing engineer. I actually consider the inclusion of this stuff a plus.

At any rate, the 'all-MSI' and 'have some other stuff' songs are clearly labeled; there is no guesswork involved on our part and no deception that I can see on MOTU's part.

Heck, they even have samples of the individual instruments up to hear.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by heavypick:

On the MOTU website, they do tell you what is and isn't SI in these samples. This has been noted more than once on this thread.
Yeah, I just went back and saw that. So I take back my previous post. Earlier in the week when I was at the site they just had the sound files posted.

Anyway, take a listen to David Das's piece on the site, which according to the blurb on the site was done with one instance of the plugin. It sounds awesome.

<small>[ July 29, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: TimeMist ]</small>
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by TimeMist:
They should note what is SI and what isn't.
On the MOTU website, they do tell you what is and isn't SI in these samples. This has been noted more than once on this thread.