23.976 fps

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
manichouse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

23.976 fps

Post by manichouse »

Hi all,
Just wondering how you all are dealing with 23.976 fps HD projects in DP? I'm getting more and more projects that are staying HD throughout all stages of production, and since DP does not provide a 23.976 / 23.98 timeline, i'm forced to use PT. Any tips?
Many thanks,
Martin Trum
barreltone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 23.976 fps

Post by barreltone »

Ugh. I was thinking of buying DP for some post-work, which probably will be using 23.98 fps - I had no idea it wasn't supported until I read your post.

Is ProTools the only other option? I don't really want to give my money to Avid.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
manichouse

Post by manichouse »

Originally posted by barreltone:
Ugh. I was thinking of buying DP for some post-work, which probably will be using 23.98 fps - I had no idea it wasn't supported until I read your post.

Is ProTools the only other option? I don't really want to give my money to Avid.
Yeah, as of right now PT is the only other option. I'm suprised Logic7 doesn't include it either, given the new inport XML from Final Cut. I contacted MOTU and they said they would add to the feature request database. We'll see...

Martin Trum
manichouse@mac.com
dottedsixteenth

Post by dottedsixteenth »

Glad I checked in here.
I'm about to re-build my studio with a Hi-def video and Surround system. I hate digidesign after using it for so many years. I was planning to use all motu hardware, as I am a DP4 fan. I wonder if there is some workaround for this 23.976/23.98 problem?

Dottedsixteenth :(
manichouse

Post by manichouse »

Make sure you guys email MOTU explaining that you'd like this feature implemented. The more requests we submit, perhaps the better our chances will be...

Martin Trum
manichouse@mac.com
kenn michael

Post by kenn michael »

I've been doing 23.98 HD post projects in Logic and Nuendo which don't have true 23.976 support with no problems. Just finished mixing a feature in Nuendo. Everything phase locks when laying back to FinalCut. I think the only issue is that instead of cutting sound on the exact frame edges, you might be off a quarter frame the the end of a reel... But video always plays back in sync and like I said I haven't had a problem... so if you don't want to give your money to Avid/Digi (which I didn't) DP should be okay.
manichouse

Post by manichouse »

Originally posted by kenn michael:
I've been doing 23.98 HD post projects in Logic and Nuendo which don't have true 23.976 support with no problems. Just finished mixing a feature in Nuendo. Everything phase locks when laying back to FinalCut. I think the only issue is that instead of cutting sound on the exact frame edges, you might be off a quarter frame the the end of a reel... But video always plays back in sync and like I said I haven't had a problem... so if you don't want to give your money to Avid/Digi (which I didn't) DP should be okay.
Hi Kenn,
I've mixed a few 23.98 projects in DP and Nuendo working this way as well... with a 23.98fps window burn in the Quicktime video. It's not so much the mixing aspect of it as it is the editing. Without frame edge accuracy, it's difficult to accurately spot fx, record/edit ADR, etc. I know that it CAN be done, but it's a lot more work. Just hoping we'll see 23.98fps in DP (and in Nuendo).

Martin Trum
manichouse@mac.com