Bouncing out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Bouncing out

Post by swpowe »

I'm sure there's a much better way to do what I'm trying to do. I've got a project that I'm essentially trying to create individual stems from and the was I was doing it seemed very inefficient. I would select an entire track and then scroll up further to find another couple tracks I wanted to mix into this stem and I'd select them and then I'd bounce it out, go back into the project and mute the 3 tracks I just selected and then select another 3 tracks. Surely there's a better way to do this? I'm also used to Pro tools where a bounce is basically just playback of whatever isn't muted so everything is in that bounce. It seems digital performer doesn't do that? It only bounces out what you've selected in the tracks overview? Is that correct? I'm totally lost on how to use DPs bounce feature. I'd appreciate any help on this. :banghead:
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bouncing out

Post by Dan Worley »

You have to select/highlight the range and tracks you want to bounce. There are some exceptions, but that just complicates matters and leads to mistakes.

You cannot bounce multiple (separate) stems in one shot.
DP10.13
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by swpowe »

So there isn't a way to select an instrument track (say omnisphere) and bounce out all MIDI tracks playing through that instrument? Or bounce out everything running through a bus by selecting that bus? If I don't select a soundbite or MIDI region it won't bounce...is that right?

How do others normally bounce out there projects? I'm curious how people organize their tracks to make bouncing easy. I was working with only a few tracks and found bouncing to be painful but maybe I just don't know my way around DP well enough yet.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

swpowe wrote:So there isn't a way to select an instrument track (say omnisphere) and bounce out all MIDI tracks playing through that instrument? Or bounce out everything running through a bus by selecting that bus? If I don't select a soundbite or MIDI region it won't bounce...is that right?
That's right. You stated it perfectly. You need to select the tracks (audio or MIDI) going INTO the instrument or bus, then select the correct output in the Bounce window. Any track not selected will not be included in the bounce, the exceptions to that is Master Faders, Aux tracks and VI tracks, they do not need to be selected, but I find it easier to include them in the selection anyway.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

At the risk of stating the obvious, this sentence from the manual's chapter on Bounce to Disk says it: "Basically, what you hear when you play the sequence back is what you will get in the resulting mix down." So however you get the playback you want, selecting tracks and ranges, mutes, enables, etc., gets you what you need. The caveat is that everything to be bounced has to be routed to the one output.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Not completely true, in fact, not true at all. The tracks not only have to be unmuted, but they also have to be selected.

I seriously wish there were a better system for creating stem bounce templates. Select tracks and a range (or a start point, and let it bounce to wherever the end is), and label it as a stem. Then you could set up a queue with your different stem settings, and output them all at once.

I'm currently working on a long distance project, and we're constantly uploading stems to dropbox at different stages of development. It's such a pain to do this. Not only does it take quite a bit of time for the bounces to happen, but you have to sit there and babysit the process.

So, mark this as a feature request. Adobe video suite has a wonderful system. It has an external program called Adobe Media Encoder, in which you can set up a list of all your renders and hit start. DP wouldn't need to have a separate program, but a separate window (sorta like the bundles window) would be great. Bouncing down is never going to be a fast process, might as well make it so we can go get a cup of coffee, go practice, and have it be all done when we come back.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:Not completely true, in fact, not true at all. The tracks not only have to be unmuted, but they also have to be selected.
Yes, select all, then do the various mutes etc you need to change what you hear.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bayswater wrote:
Prime Mover wrote:Not completely true, in fact, not true at all. The tracks not only have to be unmuted, but they also have to be selected.
Yes, select all, then do the various mutes etc you need to change what you hear.
You can't work with mutes like that if you have automation set to them. Selecting/Highlighting (or not) is the way.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The point was that if you know what to do to produce the mix you want to bounce, you know how to do the bounce.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bayswater wrote:The point was that if you know what to do to produce the mix you want to bounce, you know how to do the bounce.
It's not unlike me to miss the point.

My point was: If you want it, highlight it. That has served me well over the years.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan Worley wrote:
bayswater wrote:The point was that if you know what to do to produce the mix you want to bounce, you know how to do the bounce.
It's not unlike me to miss the point.

My point was: If you want it, highlight it. That has served me well over the years.
Well that means learning two things. Too complicated for me. :oops:
frankf

Post by frankf »

I seriously wish there were a better system for creating stem bounce templates. Select tracks and a range (or a start point, and let it bounce to wherever the end is), and label it as a stem. Then you could set up a queue with your different stem settings, and output them all at once.

I'm currently working on a long distance project, and we're constantly uploading stems to dropbox at different stages of development. It's such a pain to do this. Not only does it take quite a bit of time for the bounces to happen, but you have to sit there and babysit the process.

So, mark this as a feature request. Adobe video suite has a wonderful system. It has an external program called Adobe Media Encoder, in which you can set up a list of all your renders and hit start. DP wouldn't need to have a separate program, but a separate window (sorta like the bundles window) would be great. Bouncing down is never going to be a fast process, might as well make it so we can go get a cup of coffee, go practice, and have it be all done when we come back.
The solution I use involves taking advantage of DP's elaborate bussing capabilities, grouping and auto record features and do a single real time pass for all stems. It takes more time to set up the template than to do a real time pass. Unless the cue is 15 minutes long or longer, I don't have time to make coffee :) plus I can have another listen as I lay down the stems. I understand the desire for simultaneous off line bounces, but in the meantime....

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
wheever

Post by wheever »

This discussion reminds me why I do all my bounces in REALTIME, like Frankf. Just easier. And faster. And less prone to oopses. But each to their own!
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

And I've found the opposite, I'm constantly pushing the limits of my CPU (I've never had the top of the line, even when I used my Mac Pro), and real time records typically introduce glitches, where-as bounces can take their time and get it right. So for me, real time records are the risky choice.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
frankf

Post by frankf »

Prime Mover wrote:And I've found the opposite, I'm constantly pushing the limits of my CPU (I've never had the top of the line, even when I used my Mac Pro), and real time records typically introduce glitches, where-as bounces can take their time and get it right. So for me, real time records are the risky choice.
Interesting, I've never thought of it that way, but I haven't had glitches myself with real time. Thanks.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB