Internal or Firewire Drive for Recording?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
goldziey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Internal or Firewire Drive for Recording?

Post by goldziey »

Hi all,

I just bought a second, 400 gig drive for my PowerMac G5. I've been recording and editing DP audio onto a 250 gig firewire drive using the 800 port with no problems. Does anyone know whether it would be better to keep using the firewire drive for recording and using the internal drive for backup and storage, or vice versa?

Your opinion is most valuable.

all the best,

George Oldziey
mcogs143
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Internal or Firewire Drive for Recording?

Post by mcogs143 »

In general it is always better to have your software (in this case DP) run on the main system drive and work from another drive. The reason for this is that if for eaxmple DP is on your system drive and you are also recording to and working on that same main system drive it significantly reduces preformance because you are asking the same drive to do both jobs. The way I have mine setup is with DP on my main, internal system drive and all DP projects are saved to and worked on from my external 250GB FW400 drive. I have recorded 16 live audio tracks simultaneously with no issues whatsoever. I also put a backup copy of everything I have done on my main drive but if I have to revert to the copy on my system drive I copy that over to my firewire drive and then start working on it.
Dual 1 GHz G4 w/1.5 GB RAM