Sound Design Tutorials

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
strikingtwice
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound Design Tutorials

Post by strikingtwice »

Ok, so i know of the hundreds on youtube, but I'm more interested in the why and what rather than just the how. I'm working on a game right now with a lot of mechanical sound fx. So far, I've gotten pretty creative, sun roof and other car parts for hydraulic sounds, clangs, impacts, but is there a really good resource to actually learn this stuff short of going to school for it? I've also been heavily reading designingsound.org, but there is only a limited amount of actual tutorial, a lot of articles about the business.

I've never read the foley bible or anything like that, but I fear those books are more geared to real world sounds. I need to know what a low orbital laser sounds like!! I understand how limitless the possibilities are with impulse responses, the myriad synths available, but just looking for some general points.

Anyone?
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sound Design Tutorials

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

Thanks MLC, that's one of my favorite quotes ever. I have definitely been using playing imagination because there just is not enough knowledge! I just figured that they were at least a few more concrete examples and good places to start.
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Watch a lot of movies. Play with your sampler. Pitch shift like crazy, reverse like crazy. Do both. Add chorus, delay, use an aardvark for a sex scene... oooops! Did I say that? Trade secret... fortunately not a family secret... or is it? ☺

I've been designing sound since 1970 and it always helps for me to think of it as a score unto itself.

Oh, there may be one or two books of interest. John Cage: "Silence" and Alan Watts "The Book."

See what I'm sayin? I don't usually try to follow "rules" but try to make them and then break them. It's all about experimentation and a good sound library to start with. That last thing can't be stressed too much and they're pricey but in the long run it will save you lots of time if you're doing this professionally. It's an important tool, and it's important to have that stuff on a hard drive indexed by name and other criteria (spotlight info, etc). I have a fairly modest sound library of about 156GB with pretty much everything kind of sound possible - except the ones I want, which I have to craft myself, sometimes in the kitchen which is a great place to start. A junk draw is also a great source of sonic inspiration. And nothing beats a frog in a blender.

j/k about that last one.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS