Tilde

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Ital
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Tilde

Post by Ital »

Hi, how to make this combination shift-option-tilde on a non USA keyboard, or simply how to horizontalize the tool palette.

A very annoying question i know, but i just started with DP, i apologice

ital
newrigel

Re: Tilde

Post by newrigel »

Go to preferences and under "tools" there's an option for horizontal or vertical placement.
Ital

Post by Ital »

Thank you very much newrigel! A useful forum can support few annoying questions. Thanks again!
I have to say that the user guide has been thought to get a Phd on dp7 ;-(
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

Ital wrote:Thank you very much newrigel! A useful forum can support few annoying questions. Thanks again!
I have to say that the user guide has been thought to get a Phd on dp7 ;-(
EXCUSE ME?!?!?!?!?!?

What do you mean by "to get a Phd on dp7"??? Do you mean a PDF file?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Phd as in doctorate. DP is a very deep program and takes a lot of reading and study to figure out the whole thing. Seems like a language issue maybe.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I KNOW what a PhD is... But what does that have to do with DP's User Guide?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

FMiguelez wrote:.

I wasn't saying the language issue was yours. Your English is probably better than mine. I was referring to the OP - I think he was expressing the difficulty in learning DP from the tome of a manual.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The suggestion is you need a PhD to understand it. I know what he means. The manual is more of a reference than a learning aid. You have to know a lot about DP to make good use of the manual. (Not that it should be a learning aid -- there are other ways to learn)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

NazRat wrote:

I wasn't saying the language issue was yours. Your English is probably better than mine. I was referring to the OP - I think he was expressing the difficulty in learning DP from the tome of a manual.
Oh, and that's why he needs a PhD, to learn DP? Duh! I get it now. Sorry, Ital. I was just asking.
But you'll see you won't really need a PhD to figure it out. Time... you'll need plenty of that one to read the whole thing :?

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It ain't rocket science. Not even advanced music, but if it is not in your native tongue it can probably be daunting. FWIW, I also didn't understand the o/p and he didn't clarify. Probably too busy with the tilde...

Tilde tilde, bo-bilda,
Banana fanna fo-filda,
Fee-fi-mo-milda,

Tilde!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

I might be OT here, but I´ll talk about one of the problems I´ve encountered with DP and languages (apart from versions which will not work properly unless OSx is in english) I hope this helps the OP too.
Even with OSX in english and a US keyboard input method (using an spanish keyboard) some commands don´t work straight out of the box. I have to reassign them to THE SAME command, and then this ain´t easy, for it will ignore some punctuations marks, so when I press them to assign them to the highlighted command field, it just does nothing. I don´t know a proper workaround, but if I keep trying for a while, pressing again and again, at some point (pressure, time held, number of times,..don´t know) it will give a DP message saying something like "this key is a punctuation mark, and is strongly reccomended not to use it as a command" and gives you the choice to finally assign it. Tilde is ammong those in the spanish keyboard.
I don´t know why this happens, but I´ve guessed it´s related to languages, because it´s the DEFAULT keystroke I wanna use for the command.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I use international english keyboards with my Macs. Even though I'm in Sweden. I've found that stuff generally works best that way. I use OSX and all apps in english where possible.
It's pretty annoying writing the å ä and ö's they have here but pretty fast when you get used to it.

For example, shortcuts (at least a few of the more important ones) in Adobe InDesign (english version) hardly work using a swedish keyboard...

So my suggestion is, get an english keyboard to use with DP.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

zaratero wrote:I might be OT here, but I´ll talk about one of the problems I´ve encountered with DP and languages (apart from versions which will not work properly unless OSx is in english) I hope this helps the OP too.
Even with OSX in english and a US keyboard input method (using an spanish keyboard) some commands don´t work straight out of the box. I have to reassign them to THE SAME command, and then this ain´t easy, for it will ignore some punctuations marks, so when I press them to assign them to the highlighted command field, it just does nothing. I don´t know a proper workaround, but if I keep trying for a while, pressing again and again, at some point (pressure, time held, number of times,..don´t know) it will give a DP message saying something like "this key is a punctuation mark, and is strongly reccomended not to use it as a command" and gives you the choice to finally assign it. Tilde is ammong those in the spanish keyboard.
I don´t know why this happens, but I´ve guessed it´s related to languages, because it´s the DEFAULT keystroke I wanna use for the command.
Agreed.
I HATE these keyboard language discrepancies. My G5 and MacBook Pro are perfect, but my iMac has a spanish language keyboard and there are a LOT of commands that don't work. This happens with DP and even with regular OS commands (like Command-Tilde... it doesn't work. It must be reassigned in the preferences).

This is really annoying, especially if you are used to using tons of shortcuts. When the shortcut doesn't work then you have to hunt all over the menus... and remember where the commands are hidden.... I tend to forget where they are if I'm used to using the keyboard shortcut.

Yes. It can be frustrating. My advice: Just buy an english language keyboard (IF that's the issue).

zaratero

Post by zaratero »

I´ve found this problem only with keystrokes containing punctuation marks and keys having a punctuation mark as the main symbol.
This is the right side of the keyboard mainly.
I take very good care to bckup all my preferences and keycommands. This is a combination of DP´s and now Quickey´s(Thanks Shoosh!),then my shuttle´s, to have my edit controls working.

Now I believe I´ve achieved a good balance, I can use my spanish keyboard, and have all the punctuation marks where I´m used to have them for word typing, and I don´t have commands(among those I use) failing anymore.
It was a pain in the ass though.

now, just for the sake of moaning (long day of boring digitazing of stuff)
ñññññññññññññññññ

FM:
Cmmd_Tilde works everytime everysoft in all my macs :?:
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24