Transfering DATs to Mac

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
ThomaStudios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Transfering DATs to Mac

Post by ThomaStudios »

I've been transferring many old cassettes to my Mac via DP5 and an ART USB Phono Plus recently. Now it's time to tackle all my DATs. I have a Panasonic SV-3700 and was wondering if there was any way to transfers the tracks on the DATs digitally. I can go analog thru the USB Phono Plus but it seems arcane to go that way. The USBP+ has a digital in via S/PDIF but the 3700 doesn't have that output.

Is there a way to transfer them digitally?

TIA.
J D Thomas
ThomaStudios
jrdmcdnld

Post by jrdmcdnld »

Find someone with a DAT that has digital output and use that to go into the mac.
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by baanes »

I worked with an sv-3700 that had s/pdif (coaxial and optical, I think) as well as aes/ebu. Are you sure it doesn't have s/pdif out? It should be next to the aes connectors.
ThomaStudios

Post by ThomaStudios »

baanes wrote:I worked with an sv-3700 that had s/pdif (coaxial and optical, I think) as well as aes/ebu. Are you sure it doesn't have s/pdif out? It should be next to the aes connectors.
What looks like S/PDIF is marked IEC Type II, and it's right next to the AES/EBU. I say looks like since it's an RCA jack with an orange core, just like S/PDIF. Just for grins I tried hooking this up to the S/PDIF in on the USBP+, but nada. There are no other digital I/O's.
J D Thomas
ThomaStudios
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You can interface the AES/EBU into SPDIF with an appropriate adaptor, which you can make yourself if you can solder.

http://www.joshwoodward.com/mod/news/vi ... le_id=4148
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.31
garryc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

how old is your mac?

Post by garryc »

How old is your mac? If it's a newer one, don't they have an optical SPDIF i/o? If that's the case, you could bypass the Art USB Phono device, and use a AES/EBU to optical SPDIF converter. Check for those by HOSA or Midiman/M-Audio.

Another thing to check for: how does the Art USB phono device switch inputs from Analog to SPDIF? Switch? Software?

Garry
PhireAlly

Post by PhireAlly »

ThomaStudios wrote:
baanes wrote:I worked with an sv-3700 that had s/pdif (coaxial and optical, I think) as well as aes/ebu. Are you sure it doesn't have s/pdif out? It should be next to the aes connectors.
What looks like S/PDIF is marked IEC Type II, and it's right next to the AES/EBU. I say looks like since it's an RCA jack with an orange core, just like S/PDIF. Just for grins I tried hooking this up to the S/PDIF in on the USBP+, but nada. There are no other digital I/O's.
If I'm not mistaken, that RCA jack on the SV 3700 was for dedicated clocking.
The Lucid GenX192 WC generator has 2 RCA out jacks for clocking this type of device.
So what you'll need is a AES to SPDIF or ADAT format convertor.
Check this ....

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?Pr ... Interfaces
MacMini M1, 8-Core @ 3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, MacOS 12.6.5 (Monterey)
MOTU 1248 - MOTU 16A - (2) MOTU 8A - Arturia AudioFuse - Antelope ZenGO
Studio One Pro 6 - Logic Pro 10 - Nuendo 12 - MOTU DP 11

Acustica - Antares - Apogee - Arturia - Blue Cat - Boz Digital - Celemony - Dolby - Eventide - FabFilter - Flux
HorNet - IK - iZotope - Kazrog - McDSP - Melda - Nomad Factory
Plugin-Alliance - Softube - Soundtoys - Tokyo Dawn - UAD-2_TB2 & PCIe
Valhalla - Waves v14