Many Soundbites Slowing down Edge Editing (fixed in 4.52

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Rush909
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Many Soundbites Slowing down Edge Editing (fixed in 4.52

Post by Rush909 »

I don't know if this question has been answered yet... but in 4.52 has the problem of many soundbite causing slowdown of edge editing operations?

This is not the same problem as having the soundbite window open or a record enabled track on... just simply having many soundbites causes this problem in 4.5

has it been solved in 4.52?

thanks!

r.
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Many Soundbites Slowing down Edge Editing (fixed in 4.52

Post by pencilina »

no - I use slowdowns as an opportunity to write nice notes to MOTU tech support. Everyone should as this problem is really really stupid.

<small>[ March 17, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: pencilina ]</small>
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

no

Don't do that on more than one track at a time.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Rush909

Post by Rush909 »

Timeline???? what does that have to do with this problem?

one thing I notice helps with this problem is that if you turn off scrubbing (little speaker in the top left hand corner) edge editing is good again... this is not a solution though since you no longer can hear what you want to edge edit :( . but this points to some kind of scrubbing audio problem slowing things down...

r.
modular

Post by modular »

I've posted this before. Closing the soundbites window speeds things up tremendously for me. The slowness occurs when doing any audio editing-even erasing 1 bar of data can take 20 or 30 seconds (and this is on a dual 2.5 G5). With the soundbites window closed everything is nearly instantaneous. I've been in contact with Josh at tech support about this problem and he had me send a file with thousands of soundbites in it-no audio, just the project file. The problem occurs even if DP cannot find the soundbites. I sent the file earlier today.

<small>[ March 17, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Modular ]</small>
DP8.04, Mac Pro 2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core running 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools HD5 with four 192 interfaces,VEP Pro 5 running on custom built PC/Windows 7, Vienna Instrument Pro, 2 x MOTU Travellers, UAD Apollo Quad, Waves 9, Slate Digital, Sound Toys, Spectrasonics Stylus, Omnisphere, Trillian, Ivory, Lounge Lizard, Kontact 5, Guitar Rig, LASS strings, Symphobia 1 & 2, Control 24, 2 x Artist Mix and 1 x Artist Control, Yamaha Disklavier Pro plus too many other VIs and plugins to list
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Originally posted by Modular:
I've posted this before. Closing the soundbites window speeds things up tremendously for me.
Yes, for me as well. It's the only "solution" for now I guess. I hope the next update will fix this, because it also takes forever to open the soundbites window on large projects (since sometimes I do have to open it)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

one thing I notice helps with this problem is that if you turn off scrubbing (little speaker in the top left hand corner) edge editing is good again...
Not sure but it's a clue. Maybe DP is trying to scrub all of the tracks at once which is likely undoable? Don't know.

I just don't have time to mess with it. Happy you guys are on the hunt though. Best of luck.

Cheers,

G
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Rush909

Post by Rush909 »

Originally posted by Modular:
I've posted this before. Closing the soundbites window speeds things up tremendously for me. The slowness occurs when doing any audio editing-even erasing 1 bar of data can take 20 or 30 seconds (and this is on a dual 2.5 G5). With the soundbites window closed everything is nearly instantaneous. I've been in contact with Josh at tech support about this problem and he had me send a file with thousands of soundbites in it-no audio, just the project file. The problem occurs even if DP cannot find the soundbites. I sent the file earlier today.
are you serious??? what do you mean by closing the soundbite window... you mean just not having it open right??? cause I never have the soundbite window open and DP is SLOWWWW for edge editing... the only thing that solves this problem is removing soundbites from the soundbite window... but just closing it does not fix this for me... are you working with big projects?? cause I would love to see a big project that does not have this problem...

r.
modular

Post by modular »

are you serious??? what do you mean by closing the soundbite window... you mean just not having it open right??? cause I never have the soundbite window open and DP is SLOWWWW for edge editing... the only thing that solves this problem is removing soundbites from the soundbite window... but just closing it does not fix this for me... are you working with big projects?? cause I would love to see a big project that does not have this problem...
Yes I mean just not having it open. Do you use the consolidated window? I stopped using that because it also slowed things down for me though that could have been related to the open soundbites window.. And yes, I'm working with big projects (thousands of soundbites and 30 to 40 chunks in the session). Even after clearing the undo history the file could be 30-35MB. For me, when the soundbites window is closed, edge editing or any audio editing is instantaneous.
DP8.04, Mac Pro 2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core running 10.6.8, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools HD5 with four 192 interfaces,VEP Pro 5 running on custom built PC/Windows 7, Vienna Instrument Pro, 2 x MOTU Travellers, UAD Apollo Quad, Waves 9, Slate Digital, Sound Toys, Spectrasonics Stylus, Omnisphere, Trillian, Ivory, Lounge Lizard, Kontact 5, Guitar Rig, LASS strings, Symphobia 1 & 2, Control 24, 2 x Artist Mix and 1 x Artist Control, Yamaha Disklavier Pro plus too many other VIs and plugins to list