828x and SSD Noise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828x and SSD Noise

Post by ggm1960 »

I get noise at the output of this 828x interface that varies depending on what the computer's SSD is doing, like a type of interference.
It's certainly annoying. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there any kind of fix?

DP10 on a 2017 MBP.

Last edited by ggm1960 on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
daniel.sneed

Re: 828x and SSD Noise

Post by daniel.sneed »

Not sure about your case, but sure, I've encountered noises while using audio devices and computers.
Quite always solved with audio isolation transformers with earth-lift AND/OR usb-isolators.

IMHO, this one is a must have in any digital studio:
https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Ket ... VyFQ%3D%3D
Not that cheap, yes, but IMOE worth every cents.

Please, let us know what works and what doesn't.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Is your 828X or any outboard audio gear, especially mic preamps, in close physical proximity to your laptop?

I've not experienced interference from SSDs, but certainly have from cellphones placed near mic pre's.

As Daniel notes, lifting grounds can also help. I've been able to eliminate ground loops by simply cutting the ground wire and shield on USB cables feeding USB1-connected devices, but this only works if the device is not USB-powered. If using Thunderbolt to connect your 828X, this would not be an option... I would not mess with TB cables!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

I wish I could get images to display, wouldn't work from iCloud and now won't work from Dropbox either, what up with that?

Anyway, the interface is in a four space rack case standing upright on the floor, there is a Furman M-8D and a Line 6 Relay G90 guitar wireless receiver (not powered on for the purpose of this discussion) also in there. This setup was previously the core of our live backing tracks but we're now working with a live band.

There is an external Transcend TB2 SSD velcro'd in the back bottom of the case that contains the DP and some plug-in files, etc. but this doesn't appear to contribute to, or cause, the problem; I have an identical that I've hooked up outside of the case.

Because the 2017 MBP is only TB3 there are a couple of the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapters protruding from the computer; one for the 828x and one for the external drive.

In addition to the MBP display there is an LG 43UN700-B 43" monitor connected via TB3/USB-C.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cqllvj65 ... zw51y&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yn912wsv ... lgldf&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hruebs45 ... 4o1f1&dl=0
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can upload up to three .jpg or .png graphics to a post here. I take screenshots and upload from my desktop. Click on Attachments and you'll see how to upload.

I was able to view your Dropbox images but they don't tell me what kind of noise you are hearing.

SSDs don't make noise but the fans that cool them certainly can, acoustic and magnetic — which means that disk activity can be the indirect cause as can CPU and GPU, anything that causes your Mac to run hot. There are other components that generate electrical noise as well that may vary depending on activity.

Having something taped to the bottom of your MBP — that's where I would look first. Get some distance between that and your machine and see if the noise changes.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:46 am Having something taped to the bottom of your MBP — that's where I would look first. Get some distance between that and your machine and see if the noise changes.
What would one tape to the bottom of a MBP?