Preventing UAD Meter & Control Panel launching at boot?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Preventing UAD Meter & Control Panel launching at boot?

Post by James Steele »

ggm1960 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:01 pmI went into library>audio>plug-ins>components and deleted some of those unauthorized (why are they even there?) plug-ins. I haven't gotten back to determine if that is a good method or not yet.
It works. I guess the reason UA does this is they're thinking you might want to activate the 14-day demo on some of these plugins. I have done what you've done with the AAX plug-in versions because I don't know if there's a way to just "turn them off" like in DP and I don't want my plug-in menu cluttered with plugs I can't use. But it irritates me when developers do this.

Likewise, IK Multimedia seems to install a whole ton of plugs in some cases. I find myself avoiding these developers as I really don't want a lot of junk on my system. IK even archives complete installers on your boot drive without telling you, and I've gone in and manually deleted those. Again... annoys me to no end.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Looks like we no longer have to hack the plist file anymore in Ventura. You can just turn it off now:

turnoffuadmeter.gif
turnoffuadmeter.gif (73.45 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Also I made a post about a utility that makes the job easier of hiding the UAD plugs that you do not own.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73020

The only caveat is that although it archives the VST and AAX versions and can restore them later without the need to run the UAD installer, it apparently deletes the Audio Units versions... at least on my system. I'm engaged in a discussion with the developer about this. Of course he says it shouldn't be happening, but it is indeed on my system, so I'm at the "gathering evidence" phase. You have to first convince a developer that what you're experiencing is real. It's a free utility, so I appreciate that he's done this at all.

Anyway... the fact that they are deleted doesn't really bother me that much. It will get fixed and if I want to do a demo for something I don't own, I have the UA installer backed up on another drive anyway.

ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

Very nice, Thanks James!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ggm1960 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:19 pm Very nice, Thanks James!
Hopefully the utility still works. I know UA released an update. There are issues with UADx AUs and DP right now. Usually trying to validate them causes lots of crashes and if you can persevere and get though the crashing, they will work okay after that. Alternatively you can try using VST3 versions of the UADx plugs instead.