Two M4s on one computer?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
lobewan
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Two M4s on one computer?

Post by lobewan »

Is it possible to connect two M4s to one machine?
I do have two of them, and while I can connect them both, the driver sees only one of them, and Windows seems to see only one of them.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!
tazzboy

Re: Two M4s on one computer?

Post by tazzboy »

Question how are you connecting these two together? Are you connecting through the RCA Connectors or the MIDI Connectors
lobewan

Post by lobewan »

I don't need, or even want them connected together - they're just two, separate M4s connected to two, separate USB c ports.
Thanks
tazzboy

Post by tazzboy »

lobewan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:05 pm I don't need, or even want them connected together - they're just two, separate M4s connected to two, separate USB c ports.
Thanks
Well if your computer system isn't reconizing it through two USB C ports then you are going to have to combine them together through MIDI (which would be my first choice) or RCA
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

In macOS you simply plug them in and the system will see them as M4-1 and M4-2 or something to that effect. I don't know how this is supposed to work in Windows, but it seems very likely the more or less the same thing should happen. If there aren't any helpful answers here from Windows users, perhaps posting a Tech Link at the MOTU site is the easiest approach.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
lobewan

Post by lobewan »

Unfortunately since I asked this question here, I did ask tech support a Motu, and they responded there isn't a way to do it, other than maybe trying to do something custom with ASIO4ALL, which they were doubtful about.
Thanks for the attempts to help, all, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
I'll come up with an alternative for what I want to do.
Jimthree

Post by Jimthree »

Just checking in to see if you ever found a solution for this. I think it's called creating an aggregate device from one or more interfaces.
lobewan

Post by lobewan »

I did not - but, to be fair, I gave up on finding a solution.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Jimthree wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:08 pm Just checking in to see if you ever found a solution for this. I think it's called creating an aggregate device from one or more interfaces.
As has been posted, there is no system level support in Windows for creating an aggregate device. ASIO4ALL has been used successfully by some but the name is a lie — many audio, interface, AV and game drivers are incompatible.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro