624: Local Access to Web App + Touch Console (Is Ethernet Port Required?)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
specialmonkey
Primary DAW OS: Windows

624: Local Access to Web App + Touch Console (Is Ethernet Port Required?)

Post by specialmonkey »

Hello,

I'm considering the 624 but am unclear about how to access the controls (web app or touch console) of the device. I've checked out the discovery app on an iPad and see how it might work, but it seems to imply the 624 must be a device on the network.

In my workspace, I have the option to connect my Windows 10 PC wirelessly to my home WIFI (via a USB Ethernet adapter). There's also an ethernet cable coming to my PC from my router which is how I go online now.

Ideally I wouldn't have to go wireless on my PC. There's currently only one network cable in my workspace which is ~ 24 feet away from the router. I prefer the wired connection on my workstation.

I suppose I could run a second cable or connect my existing cable to a switch to increase wired connections in my workspace. Would this be sufficient? It seems like the 624 should be able to connect wirelessly (w/o the ethernet port) to my existing WIFI network. Is this possible?

I plan to use the 624 via a thunderbolt 2 card and if that doesn't work, via USB2 or USB3.

The question I have, is... is it required the 624 be plugged in (or wirelessly connected) to the network my computer is on in order to access the web app or touch console, even locally, on the computer the 624 is connected to (or via an iPad or some other wired or wirelessly connected device on my WIFI)? Or, will I be able to access it at least locally in a web browser on my workstation via the USB or thunderbolt connection my PC shares with the 624?

Is there any possibility for physical control of the device via a break out box, i.e. perhaps plugged into the port (USB/thunderbolt) not being used to connect to the PC (or via the ethernet port/avb network)? Something that would give the physical buttons, level adjusts, etc.? Looking at the description, I see there is physical control on the device for levels, pad + phantom power (but there's much more in the app + console) - so something physical that could take the app's place.

Thanks!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 624: Local Access to Web App + Touch Console (Is Ethernet Port Required?)

Post by mikehalloran »

https://motu.com/products/avb/624
but it seems to imply the 624 must be a device on the network.
The device doesn't have its own wireless but it needs to connect to the network somehow. One way is via your PC; the other is over ethernet—it can then be accessed wirelessly if that's what you need.

Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt™, super-speed USB 3.0 or AVB/TSN Ethernet…
Connect an Apple® Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router with a standard Ethernet cable for wireless control of device settings, powerful 48-channel mixing and DSP effects.…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I connect my 828ES via Ethernet. You can use a standard Ethernet switch if you need to add ports.
specialmonkey

Post by specialmonkey »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:15 pm I connect my 828ES via Ethernet. You can use a standard Ethernet switch if you need to add ports.
Thanks for the info. I may need to get a switch.

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:45 pm The device doesn't have its own wireless but it needs to connect to the network somehow. One way is via your PC; the other is over ethernet—it can then be accessed wirelessly if that's what you need.
Are you saying, assuming my PC is on the network, the USB/Thunderbolt connected 624 can get on the network too via its USB/Thunderbolt connection to my PC, without using the AVB port? That would be great. In this case I'd be able to access the web app or console wirelessly on an iPad via the discovery app too? Almost seems too good to be true.

How do you like working with the web app vs the touch screen? Do you find they're easy to work in? Do you have to go into either much, or once set can you do most things with the dials on the device?

Thanks!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

specialmonkey wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:54 pmAre you saying, assuming my PC is on the network, the USB/Thunderbolt connected 624 can get on the network too via its USB/Thunderbolt connection to my PC, without using the AVB port? That would be great. In this case I'd be able to access the web app or console wirelessly on an iPad via the discovery app too? Almost seems too good to be true.

How do you like working with the web app vs the touch screen? Do you find they're easy to work in? Do you have to go into either much, or once set can you do most things with the dials on the device?

Thanks!
I access my USB-connected 828ES regularly on an iPad that is on my local wi-fi network, to which the 828ES is hardwired via Ethernet. It works very well to control AVB Mixer built in the 828ES. Although the interface can be a bit slow at times (my iPad is fairly ancient), there are some great advantages to controlling the AVB Mixer on a separate device other than the computer running your DAW. Two primary for me:

1. No shifting focus from DAW to Web App... I use the Web App on the iPad to manage levels and mutes on the AVB Mixer while tracking in DP on my Mac. DP is always the focus, so no annoying/error-inducing mouse miscues.

2. Anybody with a phone or iPad can access the Web app to control their personal monitor mix. I have six discrete monitor mixes available in my studio. I typically set up rough Aux mixes in advance for performers, who can then adjust to taste while tracking. There is a lock function to prevent players from inadvertently accessing mixer pages they shouldn't.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
OKinATX

Post by OKinATX »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:15 pm [...]
2. Anybody with a phone or iPad can access the Web app to control their personal monitor mix. I have six discrete monitor mixes available in my studio. I typically set up rough Aux mixes in advance for performers, who can then adjust to taste while tracking. There is a lock function to prevent players from inadvertently accessing mixer pages they shouldn't.
HCMarkus,

OK, I know this is an "older' thread, but this info is impossible to get! This is a piece of the puzzle that is super crucial to me and even Motu support is giving different answers based on the day you call. You are saying that you can have multiple INDIVIDUAL (in-ear) monitor mixes for performers. Performers can adjust their own mixes to their liking. I have a couple of additional questions regarding this:
  • Are you referring to the Web based Pro Audio Interface?
  • Are performers able to select which tracks they want to hear (in their individual mix) and at what volume each track is played?
  • Does this mean that multiple musicians can log into the Pro Audio Interface at the same time and make adjustments?
There is a hint of this capability in the "MOTU Pro Audio Interface Mixing Part 1: Basics" lesson [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBS_upG2v0s&t=350s], but they are only scratching the surface.

Thank you for verification/clarification!!

Oliver