Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by Rick Cornish »

Gravity Jim wrote:Yeah, I'm running DP 10 and the Icon Platform M is still cooking.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I just noticed a new iCon control surface: the single-fader Platform Nano. The specs only qualify it up to High Sierra, but I know other folks are using iCon Platforms on Catalina. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I have a Mackie DP control surface I never use—I’ll sell it to anybody interested—!?

Greg
Austin TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

As others have said, the iPad with a Mackie emulation software is pretty good. In the studio the Slate Raven cannot be beat.

I'm going to post again that one of DP's shortcomings is in fact its lack of control surface support.
Logic, Bitwig, and Live all offer support for dozens of controllers. This means things like NI Komplete Kontrol type universal knob and fader support for FX and instruments that you can modify to taste for these surfaces.

In all three of those DAWs you have the ability to take a fairly generic piece of software like the AKAI MPK series and map support for various plug ins, your mapped controls for various parameters pop up as you select the device.
this can also be done with faders in the mixer etc.

At this point I don't know if it will ever happen, but it would be great if MOTU took it on, MIDI assign is cool and all, but basic things mapped to faders and knobs is super convenient and makes software that much more enjoyable to use.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
RobKaplowitz

Post by RobKaplowitz »

I found this thread when trying to get my XTouch (or X-Touch) Compact to work with DP. First - thanks so much to seedylee for the Mackie Mode - totally the solution - FYI, the way to start it in "MC Mode" as they call it is to hold down the bottom left-hand button (#1, with a light grey "MC" etched next to it) while powering up.

Then, to put it in this thread for other noobs like me who had to look it up elsewhere, under Studio / Bundles / MIDI I added the controller, then, under Setup / Control Surface Setup, I Selected Mackie Control as the Driver, Mackie Control as the unit and Input / Output Ports XTouch-1 / XTouch.

Out of the box, it gives me fader control for tracks 1-8 and the Master, transport control, and the button above the fader lights up when fader automation is in record mode. I'm still trying to figure out how to assign other faders to the banks, rather than having to track the faders I want to mix to the top of the window, and to see what else it does - but - for fader automation for $350? Very viable. Fader automation on playback is a bit choppy, but it's really smooth for mix entry.

FYI -be careful about your Track Grouping! It's definitely not a great controller for a bunch of grouped tracks at different levels - I had 7 grouped tracks, 2 faders all the way out, 2 at -3 and the rest at U; the second I touched an X-Touch fader, things got way wonky, in terms of the -inf faders relationship to the rest. But I imagine that's really more about DP and Mackie Control than the X-Touch.

I may also dig into the (PC Only) control software thru parallels later - but for the "I need a fader to mix this thing!" needs of right now, it's totally on the mark. I've also ordered one of the their single-Fader versions - I'll report back if that works.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There is a new knob-based control product on the horizon from a particular despicable company. I'll not mention the company or the product, but in case someone is very much needing that functionality, they can perhaps use these obvious clues to discover it.

If someone has an issue with me calling said company despicable, just let it go. If you love that company, feel free. We can disagree to agree to disagree.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

RobKaplowitz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:34 pm I've also ordered one of the their single-Fader versions - I'll report back if that works.
I think you're lucky because the Compact version has few function buttons and no scrub/scroll/zoom controls compared to the full version or the One. I have the single fader One version and many of the buttons do not map correctly. DP has its own flavor of Mackie Control that is unsupported on the X-Touch series. I wish Motu would provide a standard layout version of the MC driver rather than the DP modified version. I've had better luck configuring the X-Touch One as HUI with DP, but have become frustrated and removed it from my rig as did seedylee.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

CharlzS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm
RobKaplowitz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:34 pm I've also ordered one of the their single-Fader versions - I'll report back if that works.
I think you're lucky because the Compact version has few function buttons and no scrub/scroll/zoom controls compared to the full version or the One. I have the single fader One version and many of the buttons do not map correctly. DP has its own flavor of Mackie Control that is unsupported on the X-Touch series. I wish Motu would provide a standard layout version of the MC driver rather than the DP modified version. I've had better luck configuring the X-Touch One as HUI with DP, but have become frustrated and removed it from my rig as did seedylee.
So, is the general take away at this point that there is no really good solution for a control surface with DP 9.5, or 10?... I am just coming to this now and it looks like this is the case. I would love to be wrong, just asking to see if I should bother with this before wasting time and money for no reason...

Thank you for any insight!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.5, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

sayatnova wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 pm
So, is the general take away at this point that there is no really good solution for a control surface with DP 9.5, or 10?... I am just coming to this now and it looks like this is the case. I would love to be wrong, just asking to see if I should bother with this before wasting time and money for no reason...

I think that depends on how much functionality you’re looking for in a control surface. If you’re just looking for faders, pan knobs and record, mute and solo buttons along with transport there’s a bunch of stuff out the that fits the bill and probably works well. When you go beyond that is where you bump up against limitations. The only thing I’ve run into that supports the DP template for the MCU is the Android control surface app TouchDAW. I have just fooled around with it running on a cheap Android tablet and got it working, but not used enough to endorse. There’s a lot of respect for Raven around here so you might want to engage those folks.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

CharlzS wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:39 pm
sayatnova wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 pm

I think that depends on how much functionality you’re looking for in a control surface. If you’re just looking for faders, pan knobs and record, mute and solo buttons along with transport there’s a bunch of stuff out the that fits the bill and probably works well. When you go beyond that is where you bump up against limitations. The only thing I’ve run into that supports the DP template for the MCU is the Android control surface app TouchDAW. I have just fooled around with it running on a cheap Android tablet and got it working, but not used enough to endorse. There’s a lot of respect for Raven around here so you might want to engage those folks.
Thank you for the info, it is appreciated.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.5, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I'm still using the old Neyrinck app in my iPad.
Works great!
Faders, pans, transport, markers etc.
Plus, it has an assignable window that can grab any of the DP panes.
Can give access to any floating window.
I haven't found anything that it lacks for my remote control needs.
Way more than good enough for recording acoustic guitars in the booth with no assistant.
Wish MOTU would make one.
All is well
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

waterstrum wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:45 am I'm still using the old Neyrinck app in my iPad.
Works great!
Faders, pans, transport, markers etc.
Plus, it has an assignable window that can grab any of the DP panes.
Can give access to any floating window.
I haven't found anything that it lacks for my remote control needs.
Way more than good enough for recording acoustic guitars in the booth with no assistant.
Wish MOTU would make one.
Forgot about that one - V-Control. That probably is the best tablet control surface app. I had the original version until my iPad fritzed. It pretty much covers it all. There's some sort of free version available: https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/applications/
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe some potential here: https://www.solidstatelogic.com/product ... b=overview
DP is not listed as currently supported, but programmability looks to be a strong point. Maybe some gear lust kicking back in.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hah, CharlzS beat me to it! I too am interested in this new SSL module, as I am thrilled with their "big knob" two-channel Audio I/O desktop module, which I bought during my five month working in North Carolina as I didn't bring my RME or other gear with me. Really well built, great sound and superior ergonomics to anything on the market. First look at this mixer looks slightly strange though, in terms of ease of workflow, so hopefully we'll see some good in-depth demos soon, and it'll be customizable to support DP10. It's also a good price for what it offers.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

I have a Slate Raven Mti2 that I'm selling.
Barely used...I have long fingernails on my right hand and it was a little hard to use a touch screen.
A really cool control surface though!
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8