No 24-Bit Recording Or Playback Moto 828 mk2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
____RAGE____
Primary DAW OS: Windows

No 24-Bit Recording Or Playback Moto 828 mk2

Post by ____RAGE____ »

Question #1: Is there anything I can do that will make the Win7 sound manager show 24 bit settings for the Motu 828 mkII (Firewire)?

I'm tried new drivers, I've tried old drivers, nothing shows the 24 bit settings.
Also, when using the newest drivers, I pressed the test button (in Win7 Sound Manager) and got the blue screen of death.
Thank goodness airplanes don't depend on Motu to stay in the air.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: No 24-Bit Recording Or Playback Moto 828 mk2

Post by mikehalloran »

The 828mkII is 24-bit up to 96kHz — no problem there. The newest 828mkII is 14 years old and the rest are older — that you are seeing 16 bit in a control panel tells us that the unit is working—that's good. If you haven't reset it to the factory defaults, that's Step 1.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

There is not nearly enough info for anyone to address your question. What hardware? What audio system? What app are you using? What other hardware?

FireWire on Windows works best (or at all) with a Texas Instruments chip in the FW card in an Intel based Windows machine (and most but not all AMD). Other CPUs, not so likely.

With the MacOS, one is dealing with CoreAudio; not so with Windows where there are many audio drivers. In short, your hardware, audio drivers and app need to support 24 bit and you need to be using the correct MOTU drivers for your setup.

Here's the searchable Windows manual. 24-bit is mentioned 38 times.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Win.pdf

MOTU has a free app, Performer Lite — you have tech support. When you get PL working, you will likely have solved the other issues that are in your way. I tried to explain this in a recent thread where a guy brought up this same subject. He just doesn't get it, though. Don't be him.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68322

You're on Windows and everything has to be right before this will work — but then it will.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
seemebreakthis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by seemebreakthis »

____RAGE____ wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:35 am Question #1: Is there anything I can do that will make the Win7 sound manager show 24 bit settings for the Motu 828 mkII (Firewire)?

I'm tried new drivers, I've tried old drivers, nothing shows the 24 bit settings.
Also, when using the newest drivers, I pressed the test button (in Win7 Sound Manager) and got the blue screen of death.
Thank goodness airplanes don't depend on Motu to stay in the air.
Here is an answer that will hopefully contain some actually useful info to you.

I have owned the 828mkII for years now. I am also an owner of an audio interface from another brand. So I know exactly what you are talking about (because I have another brand to compare 828mkII with). The short answer is to your question is - no.

Long answer - if you want to dig a bit deeper, refer to this article: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... e-drivers/

For Windows (modern ones anyway), two types of drivers are in play for audio interfaces - ASIO, and WDM.

ASIO is what a DAW uses to communicate directly with audio interfaces. You can refer to the article for more info. Basically like other manufacturers with products that support 24-bit, MOTU's driver for 828mkII supports 24-bit ASIO. So for instance when you fire up Cubase, you will have the option to output 24-bit 48KHz audio to your 828MKII.

WDM is what Windows OS uses to output sound from games, media player, and your everyday programs etc. And for MOTU, no, of all these years I've owned the 828mkII, they have never released any driver that has 24-bit WDM support. My other brand (TC Electronic) on the other hand has drivers that support WDM 24-bit, so that option is available in Win10 (or in your case Win7) sound manager.

Hope this helps.
____RAGE____
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by ____RAGE____ »

@seemebreakthis - thank you for your time and insight.

That's what was suspecting, it's Motu that didn't write drivers compatible with 24-bit WDM.
I wrote a longer reply to articulate the audacity in the lack of Motu not being candid about that fact.
But it ended up being another novel length, car bumper chewing, complaining bitch post, so I erased it and just wrote this.

Thanks again for your time and insight.
Peace
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm a Mac guy, so no idea really, but wondering... Could a PC user route audio thru a DAW then out to the 828 using ASIO?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.31