Kontakt usage

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mustech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kontakt usage

Post by mustech »

Hey. Wasn't sure which board to post this VI newbie question on but here goes: When using an instrument like Kontakt, is there a "best practice" with regard to instances (single vs. multiple)?

Should I create ONE instrument track assigned to Kontakt and then use multiple MIDI tracks to generate by drums, my bass, my keys, strings horns, etc.
OR
Should I create multiple Kontakt tracks for each of these elements of my song?

In the first approach (single instance), will I therefore only have one fader on my mixer controlling a vast array of instruments?
Are both approaches acceptable? If so, what are the ups and downs of each.
Thanks!
MG
cuttime

Re: Kontakt usage

Post by cuttime »

If you have a multicore computer, the best practice is to create a separate instance for each instrument. This allows the DAW to assign each instance to a separate core. Also, make sure that the Kontakt memory server is OFF, as this housekeeping is done by the DAW itself, and can create conflicts, unless you operate in standalone mode.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

+1 on cuttime's advice but, depending on how many CPU cores your computer has, you can reach a point of diminishing returns as you add new instantiations of Kontakt. In a larger project, I will often group several instruments within a single instantiation of Kontakt according to external (to Kontakt) processing needs.

If Kontakt instruments are set up to respond to MIDI control, you can control/automate individual volume and panning of each instrument within Kontakt using DP's corresponding MIDI channel fader and panner
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mustech

Post by mustech »

Thank you both. HCMarkus, I dabbled in automation last night and was able to automate a fader in the Kontakt mixer for some Abbey Road Drums. Are you saying that I could have dragged the icon to a DP mixer fader to achieve this? That would be cool. Do the other available parameters work in the same way or is it just volume and pan (which might be plenty)?
mustech

Post by mustech »

And if you'll forgive me, why do I see both "Kontakt" and "Kontakt 5" as choices when I am creating an instrument track. Is the one without a 5 a previous version?
Thanks so much!
MG
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mustech wrote:And if you'll forgive me, why do I see both "Kontakt" and "Kontakt 5" as choices when I am creating an instrument track. Is the one without a 5 a previous version?
Thanks so much!
MG
Good Question.

I see Kontakt 5, Kontakt 8out and Kontakt 16out but never just Kontakt.

Did you ever download and install the free Kontakt Player? If so, you don't need it anymore. Also, a number of apps bundled Kontakt 2 to provide VIs — Finale in the 1990s comes to mind (what a PIA that was!).

To clarify earlier answers. DP assigns each instance of Kontakt to a separate core as cutime wrote up to the number of cores in your machine. The object is to balance the load for best performance as HCM indicates. Some VIs are a lot more CPU hungry than others.

There's tons of info out there on this—much of it on these boards and NI user sites. Google is your friend on this as are we.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mustech wrote:Thank you both. HCMarkus, I dabbled in automation last night and was able to automate a fader in the Kontakt mixer for some Abbey Road Drums. Are you saying that I could have dragged the icon to a DP mixer fader to achieve this? That would be cool. Do the other available parameters work in the same way or is it just volume and pan (which might be plenty)?
I don't think you can do what you suggest as simply as that. DP's mixer fader and pan knobs will control overall volume and pan of Kontakt instruments for which such control is enabled. For most instruments, say a piano or bass, a single channel of control is all that is required. A drum kit is a special situation; it requires balancing of many audio streams. Unless each kit piece is assigned to respond to a different MIDI channel, you will likely have to balance within Kontakt using Kontakt's mixer. As you note, automation can recall such moves. There may be a way to assign various MIDI controller numbers to the parameters you seek to control, but I don't think it is a drag and drop situation.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mustech wrote:And if you'll forgive me, why do I see both "Kontakt" and "Kontakt 5" as choices when I am creating an instrument track. Is the one without a 5 a previous version?
Thanks so much!
MG
I'm not sure what would cause this. A quick look at Native Access should tell you exactly what you have installed. Either that, or a glimpse in your HD> Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components folder.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31