Controlling CueMix via MIDI without a computer

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mdk
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Controlling CueMix via MIDI without a computer

Post by mdk »

Hi, im trying to find out if its at all possible to control the mixer settings in my 828 mk II via MIDI.

I want to just be able to run the 828 and my BCR2000 together, using the BCR to control the mixer settings as its a lot easier to use the BCR than the front panel of the 828.

I've not found any information about this so im assuming it cant be done, but id love to be proved wrong.

thanks..
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

I know the actual routing is supposed to happen within the hardware, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still some driver or software involvement required, maybe to decipher/direct the messages or something.

-George
qo

Post by qo »

I don't think this is possible mdk. The MIDI ports on the 828 get routed over the FW port (or USB port, depending on the model you have) to your mac/pc and weren't intended to carry control info for the 828 itself.

A company (who's name I can't recall) used to make a 1 IU, rack mounted MIDI-controlled line mixer. I thought that was soooo cool when I saw it and was considering integrating it into a guitar rig. Then it disappeared and I haven't found anything like it since. :cry:
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

JL Cooper has a bunch of lesser known "short lived" specialty boxes like that. I see things by them from the early MIDI years, which I've never heard of and will probably never see again.

I swear I think I know the thing you're talking about. I wanted it as well many years ago, as it was getting old and didn't cost much. The 1U thing I'm remembering had a weird color or "not so attractive" artwork. I'm almost thinking brown or dark green. That could have just been a mute & solo box though. I also looked at a digitally controlled 1U Presonus DCP back when I wanted an ACP-88, but the digital thing got ragged on in the stuff I read. I'm not sure cheap or older VCA's,etc. are considered worth their potential ill-affect on signal quality. If you're just doing live stuff it might not matter as much.

Take Care!

-George