Horrific noise from cross fading

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

dang47
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Horrific noise from cross fading

Post by dang47 »

HORRIFIC digital noise after #1.normilizing a sample then
#2.creating an alternate loop
#3.enable crossfade

almost blew my monitors!!!!! what the hell... repeated this action and same thing.

machfive 3.2.0 x64

macbookpro 10.6.8 DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Horrific noise from cross fading

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

One has to be careful with levels when normalizing. The fact that you felt a need to normalize indicates a low sound level in a file. Once you decide to go that route you need to be prepared and lower your channel levels before playing the newly normalized file. Neither DP, M5, nor any other app knows what you're about to throw out to the speakers. It's up to YOU to bring the level down before playing a file like that.

Do unless we're talking about something else, it would appear on the surface that this is operator error/inexperience.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps - same with crossfades. You're piling two sounds on top of each other, thereby multiplying the amplitude. It's up to the operator to understand that will increase amplitude. It's not built into any app to understand your intent.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dang47

Post by dang47 »

no no man, this was unbelievable.... it continued uncontrollably, even continued way after i stopped playing the sample.... yes the sample was so very low so i normalized but this was some kind of white noise RED noise (lol) squelching screaming blowing the speakers, was not any part of what the sample sounds like... it was real weird.
dang47

Post by dang47 »

and aaaaa no not inexperience.... something happened upon normalizing the file then crossfading... the file was corrupted then triggered some kind of glitch in the hardware.. i stopped playing the sample then the hardware belched out the horror and continued long after i let off the keyboard... some kind of digital loop feedback white noise of all kinds.... it happened in my home studio with the mk828 and in another studio with the Apogee ensemble..... i dont even care to investigate at this point im trashing the takes and rerecording at a better volume and NEVER normalizing within M5 again.
MIDI Life Crisis

Generally a dynamics plug is better IMO. Normalizing is risky. Red noise? Very funny.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dang47

Post by dang47 »

yeah, red noise mixed with chainsaw !!!!