Retina MBP Bus Power Traveler

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jammer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Retina MBP Bus Power Traveler

Post by jammer »

Hey All,

I have a MkI traveler and I ws wondering if it's possible to power the Traveler MkI via the Thunderbolt port?

I have the TB to Firewire adapter and the required cables. The TB port provides 10w and I think that is sufficient for the Traveler but I'm stuggling to find the specs online.

Cheers,
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Retina MBP Bus Power Traveler

Post by mikehalloran »

FW bus power spec is 22 W. As you see, the most power available from the TB adapter is 10W and many report the real number is closer to 7W.

There are very few (if any) audio devices with preamps capable of running on 7-10W.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jammer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Retina MBP Bus Power Traveler

Post by jammer »

Yeah, I've found some info shortly after posting this that says the TB port is just totally incapable of providing the Traveler (or many bus powered devices) with anywhere near enough juice.