Unisyn not displaying patch lists

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

AgainsttheWall
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unisyn not displaying patch lists

Post by AgainsttheWall »

Well all I did was open patchlist manager in classic mode (OS 9.2) and jump out to DP 4.5 I got all excited because at last the patches for my drum-machine were showing up in Digital Performer. Things have gotten worse since then. I'm trying to get good .midinam files from cherrypicker 2.0.1 it has worked for my DR-660 drum machine but my JV-880 synth is randomly cycleing through patches as I play.
Please accept my appology for posting a premature solution. If I stumble accross a better way I'll let you know, once I'm sure that it works. I'm close to calling it quits and returning to OS 9 just 'cause this computer didn't used to waste all my time.
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

CherryPicker 2.0.1 is obsolete - 2.2 came out a while ago, and supports more of the midnam tags that MOTU uses. It may help.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hi Jim my name is Tony from Toronto. I have the same problem with Unisyn I have contacted them and the y replied and supposedly they are working on fixing yhe program
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm both shocked and pleased to infer that they have even admitted there is a problem. That is an important first step.

recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What? MOTU admitted that they sell a product named Unisyn? Keep working on them. Maybe they'll eventually adopt it and make it work. That has to be the most cheaply programmed piece of crap in the music industry.

I say that knowing full-well that I could not live without it, and that I have even been complimentary of the improvements in Unisyn over the years. Unfortunately, using it is like a puzzle with no concrete solutions. If you mess with it long enough, you'll eventually either completely mess up your patches and banks, or you'll get them working. Sometimes both in the same day.

But... I depend on it, whether or not it's a pleasure to use. So I'm glad it exists. But if I was a software vendor, I would NOT put my name on that thing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rwb

Post by rwb »

I am having similar problems. First of all I could never get the OS 9 version of Unisyn to work. I wrote and called MOTU without response. The program would invariably crash. So I finally gave in and upgraded everything to OSX and glad I did. Unisyn doesn't crash but I am still having problems.

I also use a Kurzweil K2600 abd a MOTU MTP AV while running Tiger. The first problem I am having is that the effects 1-909 page remains empty. Other banks will transfer into Unisyn but the effects data will not.

Problem 2 is the 900 bank not transfering into DP correctly. I have the orchestral sound bank loaded into Unisyn correctly. That is I see all 900-999 paches transfered from the k2600 to the Unisyn bank. Yet when I try and display the patch list in DP all I get are the first two programs (900, 901). The rest are blank! Unisyn shows patches for the entire 900 bank. DP only shows two.

I have gone so far as re-installing the entire package and reloading the bank into Unisyn to fix this to no apparent effect.

<small>[ July 05, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: rwb ]</small>
Follow Your Bliss.
-Joseph Campbell
Mac Pro dual core 2.66, 20gb Ram, DP 7.24, Protools 8LE, MachFive 3, MX4, Absynth, B4 II, Reaktor 4.0, Massive, FM 8, Unisyn 2.0, MTP AV, Steinberg UR824, Digi 002, Mackie Control Pro, Kurzweil K2600xs & K2000r
rwb

Post by rwb »

I have discovered that one file in the root/library/preferences/unisyn/midiNameDocuments/
was not formatted correctly. The reason that I was not getting any patches to load except 900 and 901 is that all the rest of those names were set to receive their information from patch #100. 900 and 901 were set appropriately to "00" and "01". I used text edit and sequentially changed all the program numbers to reflect where said patch would come from. Then I ran unisyn and reloaded the 900 bank. A new document with names was then formed in that folder that had all the correct names! Then DP saw them!

Why the document was incorrect I can only guess. It could be an OS X problem or a Unisyn problem.

Next I have to figure out why the Effects bank is not loading. Nor is there a document in the Prefs folder to represent Effects. That in itself may be the problem.

<small>[ July 04, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: rwb ]</small>
Follow Your Bliss.
-Joseph Campbell
Mac Pro dual core 2.66, 20gb Ram, DP 7.24, Protools 8LE, MachFive 3, MX4, Absynth, B4 II, Reaktor 4.0, Massive, FM 8, Unisyn 2.0, MTP AV, Steinberg UR824, Digi 002, Mackie Control Pro, Kurzweil K2600xs & K2000r
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hi Guys Tony from Toronto here. I just emailed MOTU about the patchlist problems. I have a email reply from Jan 05 that they are working on the problem. I cannot believe it would take this long . Originally I used Opcode's Galaxy and it was far supieror. I got sys 9 Unisyn when Opcode went out of business and you needed to be a rocket scientist to figure how to work it. Could not figure it out and I gave up and went back to Galaxy. When I switched to DP4 I upgraded to Unisyn OSX and it worked much better but would not link up with DP4 with the patchlists. Dont these companises try out there products before they sell them !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

Has running Unisyn on Tiger fixed anything?
thesoundsmith

Post by thesoundsmith »

AgainsttheWall wrote:I just noticed that I can run patchlist manager in classic mode while DP4 is running in OS X And my patches show up in DP4 just like they did in DP3 under OS9.
Hmmmm. When I ordered the 4.5 DP upgrade, I also ordered the Unisyn upg. And the woman on the phone said, "Oh, our records show oyou've already got that." And the one I had was the latest OS9 version.

Maybe this is the problem. Maybe this is why they seem to be ignoring us.

MAYBE THEY STILL THINK THEY'RE WORKING ON OS9!!! :roll:

I can't get anything to work in Unisyn these days, even the old reliables, DX7II and 01/W. But I also recabled twice in the interim...

And I still need to know how to export DX7 patches for the FM7... :D
Dasher
---------
Dual 2.7 G5, 10.5.8, 4.5G RAM, 250+250HD
2408 Mk3, MTP A/V, DP 7.12, Tranzport,
Omnisphere, Trillium, RMX, VB3, B4ii, EWQL Silver, GPO, JABB, Stormdrum, Afrolatin Slam, Art Vista Grand, Altiverb 6
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello:
I thought I would post this here in this thread too. I found out if you use "meta" characters in the patch names DP will ignore the lists. So take out the "<", ">", "&" etc. and see what happens.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

Hi folks - Sorry I saw this topic a bit late - anyway...

I do not know for CERTAIN that Unisyns somewhat erratic behaviour has anything to do with this but...

I was trying to install Unisyn for a different user on my newly reformatted
system. I.E I first installed it as the usual "semi-admin-user" the one you create
when setting upp the system from scratch.

I then created a new user intended solely for running DP Unisyn & sundry musicrelated programs.
After logging in as cleverly named music-user "digiperf46" 8) I WAS NOT allowed to start Unisyn,
in fact the icons of unisyn and the Unisyn folder had changed looks., thus indicating a changed status.

However I emailed MOTU-support and got back the following reply:

To install unisyn on multiple user accounts you will need to first go to Applications/ Utilities/ Terminal and type the following text.

: cd /
: chmod a+rw "Auth-Unisyn 2.1"
: cd Applications
: sudo chown -R xxxxx:yyyyy "Unisyn 2.1 Folder/" **
: chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx "Unisyn 2.1 Folder/"

** "xxxxx" = your username, "yyyyy" = your group

Then you will need to run the unisyn installer CD and authorize each of your user accounts.
A problem with permissions - no less.
To me it seems a bit silly that experienced programmers should have problem with permissions for their finished products.
I mean the unix underpinnings of Mac OS-X is a what 30-year old mature technology.
I cant help thinking that the problems of setting correct permissions - must a subject rehashed thousands of times during this timespan.

And yes following the above advice seems to fix my problem at least..
Give it a shot and se if things work out or not.

Cheers: Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------