UltraLite MKIII & Logic Pro 9 setup?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
GlynH
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite MKIII & Logic Pro 9 setup?

Post by GlynH »

Hi there,

Long time away from sequencing etc. but bitten by the bug and a recent visit from a singer/songwriter friend of mine have decided to get back into the swing of things.

After some research I decided on a MOTU interface and so here we are with an UltraLite MKIII connected by firewire (like the bus power/one cable connection) and have a Rode NT1A connected via front input 1, a guitar connected to rear input 2 and a Korg Trinity connected to rear input 3/4 and MIDI In/Out.

I have a pair of Mackie 624's connected to Main Out so quite a basic setup for you guys here I would think but might as well be rocket science for me!

At this stage I am not too interested in effects or anything else to confuse the issue but just want to concentrate on getting good, clean sound into and out of the Mac.

The bells & whistles can come later if I manage to grasp the fundamentals that is... :wink:

Bearing in mind the last software I used would have been Cubase VST 5 (the original 5) and Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 on a PC with just a bunch of MIDI modules and here I am now sat in front of a late 2011 27" iMac staring blankly at Logic Pro 9 you might understand my dilemma! :?

What I would like - but correct me if I may be wrong or misunderstand - are;

Audio Track 1: using input 1 Microphone from UltraLite
Audio Track 2: using input 2 Guitar from UltraLite
Audio Track 3 & 4: using L/R out from the Trinity plugged into UltraLite 3 & 4
MIDI Track 1: MIDI IN/Out Trinity plugged into UltraLite MIDI Out/In

Regarding Audio 3 & 4 along with MIDI Track 1 - not sure if I have the right end of the stick here but what I would want to do is play the Trinity and record the audio as an audio track but also record the MIDI data at the same time so I have the option of playing back the track using MIDI if the Trinity is available or playback the track using the actual audio recorded if the Trinity is not available by muting one or the other for playback.

Would this work or is there a better way?

And assuming this basic layout would be correct & achievable is there an easy way to clone one of the above tracks to add an additional track if needed...for example add another Audio track for backing vocals, add another MIDI Track for drums for example?

Can some kind soul please offer some advise or point me to a resource/idiots guide that would walk me through setting up both my UltraLite & Logic Pro so I can set a working template so when my musician friend comes back in a couple of days we might be ready to just record instead of wasting time setting things up and tying myself in knots? :roll:

Thanks in advance & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
bayswater

Re: UltraLite MKIII & Logic Pro 9 setup?

Post by bayswater »

You can get excellent help with Logic here. Quite a few of the members know MOTU hardware.

http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums ... y.php?f=56
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
GlynH

Re: UltraLite MKIII & Logic Pro 9 setup?

Post by GlynH »

Thanks for the quick reply bayswater...following your link I have posted over there also.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-