Motu 828 mk3 high pitched sounds and dropouts!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Tommytog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 828 mk3 high pitched sounds and dropouts!

Post by Tommytog »

So i got the mk3 for a month now.
The first time i hooked it up everything seems fine.
After a couple of music tests i got this high pitched sounds and the music just stops for a couple of seconds.
I been told this has to do with the firewire chipset and that i needed a chipset that has Texas instruments.
So now i have that chipset but the problem is still the same :?

Who can help me please!
jpleong

Re: Motu 828 mk3 high pitched sounds and dropouts!

Post by jpleong »

Can you provide more details?

OS? Software? mk3 firmware ver? etc...

JP
hbrems

Post by hbrems »

Hi, I have exactly the same issue after switching to Vista 64. I noticed on the Motu website that there are 2 different firmware downloads to get to 1.06. One for 32, one for 64 bit. This is what I'll try tonight.
Th3_uN1Qu3

Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

First of all make sure you are using a grounded outlet with your computer/laptop.

I have a Traveler Mk2 in for repair and after replacing the firewire controller and soldering the firewire ports to the board so they don't split again, allowing the cable to be inserted in reverse, i found it extremely sensitive to static electricity and EMI when connected to a computer. It'll work great standalone but on playback from a laptop it'll start choking to the point that it crashes the computer if it's wiggled around too much. Just earlier i could make it crash by simply touching the laptop it is attached to, after coming from outside. Fortunately as long as you don't send audio to it it'll run and you can control it from the computer. Recording also works alright, and that's what the owner is interested in, but still, this abnormal behavior cannot be overlooked.

I suspect the firewire interface chip next to the controller is shot as well, but i cannot find it for sale anywhere so it'll have to do. I say this because when touching that chip in a certain spot i can trigger the dropouts. And it's not cold soldering because i've redone it three times already.
po:recording
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by po:recording »

Well, HOORAY! After a phone call to Apple Canada's "Express Lane" tech support I have finally resolved the High-Pitched Noise issue on my MacBook, using Traveler (orig) and 828mkII.

The tech first had me reset the "System Management Controller" ( see: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

He then suggested I create a new "test" user account (in system preferences/accounts) and try out the firewire audio system, to see if I could get it to freeze-up again and lo and behold it worked like a charm.

I logged back in as my normal user account and it still works!!! Hooray again!
White MacBook 2GHz C2D, 2 GB Ram, Traveler, 828mkII, DP7.22, LogicExpress 9
j_e_f

Post by j_e_f »

You're posting in the "MOTU Hardware and Windows" forum. Why would you call Apple support about a problem with your Windows PC?
wigglee

Post by wigglee »

My 828mk3 suddenly made lots of loud white noise one day for no discernable reason, and since then i get no sound, the computer outputs sound but there is no life in the led's which show the input levels on the motu. Does this mean it fried? I tried a m-audio card and it works fine , but the motu is definitely hurting? Anybody heard of this?