New drivers available: 3.7.37320

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
xbass247
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New drivers available: 3.7.37320

Post by xbass247 »

come on motu , i use too love ya ,you giveing ya slef a bad name , its all over youtube , loads of people are haveing promblems wiv their 828mk2 usb and windows 7 ,32bit and 64bit most people have moved from vista and xp too windows 7 and the new drivers just dont work proper ,the sound is distoted like a blown out speaker , on xps its fine , come on, wats going down , people payed good money for your stuff ya sell , and way things are going people are just selling their motu gear now , sort it out , your support is rubish , how long you going make the people of windows wait , for drivers on windows 7 ,32bit 64bit,
and i mean drivers wat work and which have been tested ,ill wait a next mth then im selling up and will never buy motu again , im one of many trust me ,you ment b one of the best in game ,sort it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monstroon

Post by Monstroon »

I have to agree with xbass247 I've hit an absolute dead end with my 828 mkII USB on win7 64b. My system is a clean install with no other audio devices - and yet it works fine if I boot up in Vista (soo glad I went dual boot !) It would be great to have some word of hope from MOTU that they even acknowledge the problem or at least to stop claiming the driver actually works in win 7 64.

I see some people in ither fora claim to have had succes with earlier versions of the driver - Motu don't seem to have a link to legacy versions however. If anyone has a slightly earlier version and could post a download link I'd be thrilled to bits.

Help us MOTU !

M
gahmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gahmusic »

I've got to agree with what is being said. I'm still running Vista 32 and when I installed the new drivers I got exactely the same as everyone else here. And why am I so desperate to install new drivers? Because the ones I have and all before cause constant blue screen issues (3 times last night in 2 hours)
Furthermore I want you guys to realise something. I'm not a financialy backed recording artist or studio I have to work and save to buy equipment. I can't afford the latest and greatest on the market, I have to use windows because I can't afford to have a dedicated mac. When I bought the 828mkII it was in good faith, it says on the box for gods sake that it works with windows. So please, please please remember the little guys and get this sorted because we can't just use something else having put our faith in you MOTU.

Cheers Gary
RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

Monstroon & gahmusic.

Can I assume you are both trying to use a USB connection with the current release drivers 3.7.37320?

If so it may be that your problem is related to the issues some people are experiencing with the new Ultralite Hybrid. (c.f. thread Ultralite Hybrid: Any views?).

If so it would help if you could post up in that thread giving your system details particularly the type of USB controller you are trying to use. Look under USB Controllers in Device manager. The format will be ICHnn where nn is an integer. So far we suspect ICH8 works but ICH 9 & 10 do not but further info would be welcome.

btw In case you didn't know. This is not an official MOTU site. It's counterproductive to moan too much here as we are all trying to help each other out and a more friendly atmosphere is more conducive to productivity. :D
gahmusic

Post by gahmusic »

Hi Ronald
I will sort that info and let you know any help is welcome and yes your right it is USB. Sorry about the moaning, it was aimed at MOTU with complete allegiance and sympathy with other board members who suffer from this here.
Thanks Gary
cragto

Post by cragto »

I'm using firewire with a TI chip and not having great success on Win 7 64 bit. I get stuck MIDI notes unless I set buffers of at least 512 using WaveRT and WDM drivers and at least 256 using ASIO. This just should not be necessary with double Xeon dual core processors at 3 Ghz each, 10 gig RAM and hard drive at 7200 rpm with 3 gig dumps and 32 mb cache. Sonar 8.5.3 shows no more than 2% CPU load on the most intensive audio and MIDI songs, and DPC Latency checker is all green (though around 200 milliseconds). It must be the drivers.

I'm considering rolling back to the drivers that came on my MOTU install disk, which immediately preceded the driver posted on the sticky at the top of the page. Do you think the roll back would help?
gahmusic

Post by gahmusic »

Hi Ronald
I've been looking into what you said. Firstly I can't find the info on the controllers you asked for as it doesn't mention anywhere ICH. I suspect this is because I'm using a PC with an Nvidia chip set and not intel, I may be wrong but from what I read ICH is an intel chipset specification. If you know any more please let me know as I would love to get to the bottom of this.

cheers Gary
RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

ok gahmusic. That sounds reasonable. Probably the I in ICH stands for Intel.

You could still provide very useful information.

Open the Windows Device Manager, and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
At least one USB enhanced host controller device should be listed. Double-click on the USB enhanced host controller device to open its Properties window, and choose the Details tab.
In the Properties menu choose Device Description. What is the text? It should look something like. Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
Also in the Propery menu, choose Hardware IDs. In the Value field, what is the first line of text? It should look similar to this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02
gahmusic

Post by gahmusic »

Hi Ronald
I've had a look and here are the results

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_056A&SUBSYS_E0381631&REV_A1

Definately not Intel because I know that the VEN number for intel is 8086 and 10DE is Nvidia

Thanks Gary
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:ok gahmusic. That sounds reasonable. Probably the I in ICH stands for Intel.
ICH stands for integrated controller hub. It is Intel's name for the southbridge chipset used on boards supporting Pentium CPUs through Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc. Newer boards that support Xeons, Core i5s, and Core i7s use a technology that Intel calls PCH or platform controller hub.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

ICH stands for integrated controller hub. It is Intel's name for the southbridge chipset used on boards supporting Pentium CPUs through Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc. Newer boards that support Xeons, Core i5s, and Core i7s use a technology that Intel calls PCH or platform controller hub.
That's interesting info then.

I'm using a i7-920 on a popular X58 mobo (ASUS P6T Deluxe Vn2) under Vista 64 and Device manager gives my USB controller type as
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller

No explicit mention of PCH. Will look into this. Thx.
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:I'm using a i7-920 on a popular X58 mobo (ASUS P6T Deluxe Vn2) under Vista 64 and Device manager gives my USB controller type as Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller.

No explicit mention of PCH. Will look into this. Thx.
Not all Core i5- and Core i7-compatible boards have PCH. It's still relatively new. But in the near future, it's probable that ICH will be replaced entirely by PCH.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
Monstroon

Post by Monstroon »

Apologies for my earlier whingeing :oops:

I appreciate that this is not an official forum, and I aappreciate any light all of you enthusaiasts can throw on the problem - but one always hopes that someone from MOTU might be looking in !

My USB host controllers are ICH9,

M
Monstroon

Post by Monstroon »

I should have also mentioned...

ICH9 USB controllers
on an Asus P5K-E
a USB 828 mkII
with the latest 3.7.37320 driver
Win 7 64 bit

and its crackalackling like crazy

ta
M
RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

Hi Monstroon.

Thx for providing the USB controller info.

I wish I could be of more help with your particular issue. I have no personal experience with the 828 Mk2 USB. There is still a chance that someone more knowledgeable will come forward.

I own an Ultralite Hybrid and have been keeping a close eye on developments as mine does not work at all via USB (firewire is fine) using the latest drivers (3.7.37320). Also on a 64 bit system (Vista).

I'm assuming the drivers are more or less uniform across all products in the MOTU range as the software install s/w process is identical. So it's something of a mystery as to why your interface works at all. Other users have reported total failure with a ICH9 series USB controller. At least on UL Hybrids.

When MOTU got round to reading my TechLink and accepted they had a problem they asked me to provide more detail on the USB device I was using. After I did this I received an invitation to beta test a new version of the driver for them(us?). This proved to work. Although they seem to have broken some other aspects of the functionality in the process.

Perhaps if you did the same here someone from MOTU may be surreptitiously reading and it could prove helpful. This is what they asked me to do.
Open the Windows Device Manager, and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
At least one USB enhanced host controller device should be listed. Double-click on the USB enhanced host controller device to open its Properties window, and choose the Details tab.
In the Properties menu choose Device Description. What is the text? It should look something like. Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
Also in the Propery menu, choose Hardware IDs. In the Value field, what is the first line of text? It should look similar to this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02
It's not much I'll admit but doing something is better than nothing and getting more frustrated.