Motu 828MK2 USB troubles

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tijl
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 828MK2 USB troubles

Post by tijl »

hey everyone,

last thursday i picked up my copy of the motu 828 MK2 usb at the feedback store in Eindhoven, Netherlands
I was using an original Digidesign mbox w/ cubase sx and never had any problems whatsoever

The mk2 however is a different story, i browsed a lot of topics here and found some related stuff but not the answer to my question really..

i installed software from the cd first and then powered up the device.. which told me couln't find any hardware drivers on the located device (cd driver). So i unistalled the software from the cd and downloaded a driver from the motu site (the one for firewire/usb for winXP) and installed that

This time i actually got the motu to recognize all the drivers and install itself.. i thougt it worked, for a second.

Now i CAN get sound to play from cubase or mediaplayer, but as soon as i fire up another application (msn or internet for instance) i lose all sound, same goes for big scrolling/zooming actions in cubase
i also lose sound after a while when i just let WMP play for a while..
Sometimes sound comes back, sometimes it doesn't at all and i have to reboot. ALso i get a really strange noise everytime my sound goes out.. like a short but loud buzz

Also, video also freezes a lot when the motu is on, and my whole pc seems to be working slower.
sounds very much like a videocard conflict to me actually.. but im not a computerhero at all

so;

- I tried the windowshotfix someone posted here for usb2.0 problems in XP, but that didn't help much except for the fact that my portable HD seems to be working a lot faster (could just be me).

- I tried plugging it into different Usb ports (even on the front of pc where no other usb devices are connected)

- i set the optical ins/out to ''off'' since i have no need for the right now

- i bought a pci usb2.0 card.. no help

- i tried a bunch of different drivers
- i changed the installing order a couple times
- I tried calling the store.. they couldnt help me either

Then finally one more weird thing about the Motu:
In order to recieve TECH advice from the motu site i need to register my product.. but when i type in the serial nr.at the bottom of the box it:
A: doesn't recognize it as being a Mk2 usb model
B: when i remove 1 digit from the serial nr (according to motu site 828 model nrs start with 828, mine starts with 8282), i get a message saying that nr. is already in use by someone else

--------------

im getting to the point of frustration.. and im hoping someone can help me... im sorry if this post got a little long though:)

question recap:
- Does anyone know how to fix this or recognize the problems (i think so judging from the # of topics here)

- Does anyone know where the .SYS files go where hardware is installed from? is it automatically deleted when you uninstall a device?
because if it ain't and this motufwa.sys (or something like that) remains on your harddrive then you're installing the same (hardware) driver over and over even though you might have installed different software (if that makes sense!?)

- could this be video driver related? i have a NVIDEA geforce 7300SE that came with the computer when i bought it

Thx in advance!
T.

p.s. my system:
Windows XP home + SP2
Dual core pentium 2x 1.8ghz
1Gb ram
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

Sounds like IRQ conflicts between USB Root Hub and Video Card to me...

Read my thread - http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24657

Try starting from the post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 pm Post subject: Motu 828 MKII USB, pops, crackle, squeals - NOT FIXED!
Last edited by thehowler on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

Sounds like you've got a conflict between your Video card and your USB root hub
tijl

Post by tijl »

hey howler, i read it and found a lot of usefull info..

we have the same videocard i guess but im not sure how i can turn of my geforce card and still see something..
i don't have any other videocards lying around here:(

im not that good with computers but im trying and learning on the way

thx
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

Read all of it and you'll see that the problem is not with the Video Card itself, but with your Windows installation...

Look for the bits about Hardware Abstraction Layers and IRQs - ignore the early GeForce stuff in the thread...
tijl

Post by tijl »

allright i'll take a much much closer look this time and try to understand it all.. thanks so far!
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

No problem at all. I know how frustrating it can be...
thehowler

Post by thehowler »