Calling All Keyboardists....

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BobK »

1. I was fortunate to be able to get a grand piano a few years ago. I ended up with a Yamaha C6 which I love. [Now if I could only afford to rent a larger house in the insane housing market here...but I digress! ;-) ] It has a warm, rich, clear sound and records well. Also have a Yamaha S90ES, Roland XP-80 (which I use for most gigs) and last year regained possession of my old 73-key Rhodes Mk II stage piano, which I may someday have restored. Virtual: Native Instruments B4, Pro-52. Just got Scarbee Keyboard Gold Bundle (Rhodes, Wurly, Clav).

2. I don't really covet any keyboards right now; I'm pretty happy with what I have. Sometimes I think I'd like to get some hardware with lots of actual hardware knobs (in the vein of Evolver), so I could get a better feel for synth programming, but my other priorities - improving my piano, composing, and production skills - will probably take the rest of my life.

If money were no object, a hand-picked, well-maintained Steinway B might be nice. Or a high-end European grand. But I'm not pining - my Yamaha is great.

3. I don't have any unique MIDI controllers.

4. My slant is toward acoustic pianos.

5. Preferred genres: tough one. Jazz - not necessarily straight-ahead bebop-based styles, but harder to define hybrids like my old favorites Oregon and Pat Metheny Group, and some ECM stuff. Brazilian jazz-pop (an almost ideal blend of sophisticated harmony, compelling rhythm, and great arranging); AfroCuban music. Oh yeah, there's also New Orleans funk, and some rock, and on and on.

6. Keith Jarrett, more for his standards playing than solo improvs or classical interpretations.

Herbie Hancock, more for his straight-ahead playing than his electronic excursions (though his Rhodes solo on Chameleon is a classic). Some of his recent stuff doesn't do much for me, but his Blue Note recordings from the 60s and his work with Miles Davis are phenomenal.

Lyle Mays is one of my faves, not just a great pianist but an incredible synthesist/arranger/composer, whose work in combining piano with electronic instruments (and, in performance, MIDI) with the PMG is, to me, unequalled and perhaps under-appreciated. Check out his piano solos on 'Proof' (both on 'Speaking of Now' CD and concert DVD); and the synth solo on 'Imaginary Day' with its incredible morphing tone. Oh, and the cascades of synth ostinatos in the background of the intro to 'The Way Up,' a brilliant composition based on a 3-note motif (as he explained in Keyboard magazine a few years ago). Works for me on multiple levels.

Now for a left turn: in AfroCuban music, my favorite contemporary montuno player, hands down, is Cesar ('Pupy') Pedroso. He was with the great Cuban dance band Los Van Van from the 70s till the early 2000s, and now leads his own incredible band 'Los Que Son, Son.' In such a restrictive form as montuno playing, it's hard to be original, but Pupy's montunos are completely unique, like mini-compositions. They can be hard to hear in the dense mix of those bands, but to me they're little gems that are worth digging out. He's a great writer-arranger, too, and a good soloist, though soloing isn't where he stands out. Of his band's CDst: 'Que Cosas Tiene La Vida' and 'El Buenagente' are my faves.

One of my other favorite Cuban pianists is Luis Martinez Grignan ('Lilí'). A contemporary of Ruben Gonzales, he died in 1990, well before the Buena Vista Social Club craze, but back in the day he was generally considered the stronger pianist, from what I've learned. His short solos on old Arsenio Rodriquez and Chappottin recordings are a gold mine of Latin piano.

In pop music, I used to listen to Little Feat a lot, and enjoyed Bill Payne's playing. Oh, and of course Stevie Wonder. I can't necessarily separate his playing from his songwriting - it's all part of a seamless whole.

I could go on, but it's time to get back to work!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
npatton

Post by npatton »

OT:

I was just offered a ticket to see Mr. Hancock this Sunday night here in Eugene!

Happy Fathers' Day to me...

:D :D :D :D 8)
Mac Pro (Late 2013) (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM) OS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gigs RAM); OSX10.11.6; DP 10.13; Unisyn 2.1.1; Stylus RMX; MOTU MIDI Express XT; MOTU 828x; Kurzweil PC3 with Kore 64; Roland XV-5050, D-50; Alesis QS7; Yamaha S90ES, TX-216; Hammond XK-3

----------------------------------
FWIW, my own music can be heard at...
http://www.neilpatton.net
http://http://www.pandora.com/neil-patton
Business Site: http://www.pattonmusic.com
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Shooshie wrote: A pianist who rose to international stature, then kind of disappeared from view, Charles Floyd is an intriguing interpreter. I've not heard much of his playing, but what I've heard (Rachmaninoff Études-tableaux, Op. 39: No. 1 in C Minor, for example) leaves me wanting to hear more.
Aw, that guy's a hack! :P

Actually, I *may* have access to some of his recordings if you're really interested... :wink: I'd be curious to see what you think...
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

BobK wrote:...Pat Metheny Group, and some ECM stuff. Brazilian jazz-pop (an almost ideal blend of sophisticated harmony, compelling rhythm, and great arranging); ... Keith Jarrett, more for his standards playing than solo improvs or classical interpretations.

Herbie Hancock, more for his straight-ahead playing than his electronic excursions (though his Rhodes solo on Chameleon is a classic). Some of his recent stuff doesn't do much for me, but his Blue Note recordings from the 60s and his work with Miles Davis are phenomenal.

Lyle Mays is one of my faves, not just a great pianist but an incredible synthesist/arranger/composer, whose work in combining piano with electronic instruments (and, in performance, MIDI) with the PMG is, to me, unequalled and perhaps under-appreciated....

Now for a left turn: in AfroCuban music, my favorite contemporary montuno player, hands down, is Cesar ('Pupy') Pedroso. ....

Luis Martinez Grignan ('Lilí'). ...

Little Feat a lot, and enjoyed Bill Payne's playing. Oh, and of course Stevie Wonder. I can't necessarily separate his playing from his songwriting - it's all part of a seamless whole.

I could go on, but it's time to get back to work!
A beautiful and diverse list. Wow.

And even Mr. NPatton gets a nice Daddy's Day performance from Mr. Hancock.

As long as we're talking about Oregonians, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Vanelli Brothers-- Gino, Joe, and Ross. I went insane over "Brother to Brother" and so many other albums they did. The lyrics and subtle keyboard work on the tune "Ugly Man" from the album "Gist of the Gemini" used to just slay me. I'd never heard (or paid attention to) chord changes like that before hearing that tune-- it really was a turning point for me. The Vanelli's are among my biggest non-classical influences which helped bridge the gap between jazz and pop.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

monkey man wrote:The Frogster...Flap-foot...
:lol: :lol:

Two more classics to add to the almanac of hobbit nicknames!!

Thanks, Prime M8!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Frodo wrote: A beautiful and diverse list. Wow.
Thanks, Frodo!
Frodo wrote:As long as we're talking about Oregonians, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Vanelli Brothers-- Gino, Joe, and Ross.
I agree - very cool keyboard stuff. Love that CP-70 and fat synth bass on 'Brother To Brother' and 'Appaloosa' (the only recording of theirs I have - on vinyl from back in the day). The song 'Jack Miraculous' (from 'Powerful People') has a gorgeous phased Wurly (or Rhodes?), jammin' organ, and juicy chord changes. I found some of the lyrics and vocals a bit melodramatic for my taste, but what fantastic keyboard and production work. They just don't make 'em like that any more. Now that you've reminded me, I'm gonna have to pick up a copy of 'Powerful People.'

Long as I'm at it, since I mentioned Brazilian music, I should mention the work of singer/songwriter/keyboardist Ivan Lins, one of my music heroes, but not well known in this country except among Brazilian music fans and jazz musicians, who have covered his tunes for years. If you haven't heard of him, he's been going since the early 70s, and has produced, with lyricist Vitor Martins, one of the best Brazilian songbooks since Jobim - sophisticated harmony, beautiful melodies, poetic lyrics (I don't speak Portugese, but that's what I've heard). In concert, he sings and plays keyboard, and usually tours with a second keyboardist. His recordings are wonderfully produced and arranged, typically including both acoustic and electric piano, synths, and acoustic and/or electric guitar. Early recordings 'A Noite' and 'Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite' contain many of his hits, and are full of great keyboard work. An even earlier one, 'Chama Acesa', has something of a contemporary jazz feel in parts (Rhodes, soprano sax) and includes keyboardist/arranger Gilson Peranzzetta (even less known in the USA). Ivan's show at Yoshi's in the late 90s (the tour which produced the CD 'Live at MCG, I think) was one of the best concerts I've ever seen of any type of music.

Another great contemporary Brazilian keyboardist/arranger is Cesar Camargo Mariano, who was married to the late legendary Elis Regina, a Brazilian superstar singer. 'Elis and Tom' (1974) is a classic - another Brazilian recording where piano and Rhodes and acoustic and electric guitar all get along and complement each other.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, I guess I'm willing to expand my favourite pianists lists to five now, even if I refuse (so far) to compile a list of my favourite bass guitars, bass guitarists, keyboards, etc.:

1. Sergei Rachmaninov -- probably the greatest who ever lived
2. Vladimir Ashkenazy -- also a great/underrated conductor with a unique perspective
3. Marta Argerich -- her passion is almost unsurpassed, and she knows how to "tame" bloated works like Tchaikovsky's 1st
4. Alicia de la Roccha -- such tiny little hands, but such emotional depth and strong statements for broad contrast
5. Sviatoslav Richter -- probably the least egotistical pianist of all time; easy to work with; a great listener on concerti/sonatos
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Frodo wrote:SixStringGeek: I really didn't expect to see you here AND on the guitar/bass thread, too. Very impressive!!
I'm a guitarist first, but in the 80's when I played full time, work was scarce for guitarists - so I bought a Juno-106 and answered one of the many ads for keyboardists. Bonus is I have a knack for programming the things - so while I'm not a great player - I could always get the tone/patch right.

I mothballed the whole pile of stuff in '89 and went to work in computers becoming a migrant worker in the process (no project lasts more than 18 months - then you move to the next one). Hence the amazing collection of ancient technology.

Lately I've swallowed the anchor, spawned a young'un, and settled into a house with a little spare apartment that I can use for a studio. So, I've decided I've put it off long enough. I'm gonna do that album I've been meaning to put down forever.

Got a new mac, some new toys, time to get crackin'
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

BobK wrote: Long as I'm at it, since I mentioned Brazilian music, I should mention the work of singer/songwriter/keyboardist Ivan Lins, one of my music heroes, but not well known in this country except among Brazilian music fans and jazz musicians, who have covered his tunes for years. If you haven't heard of him, he's been going since the early 70s, and has produced, with lyricist Vitor Martins, one of the best Brazilian songbooks since Jobim - sophisticated harmony, beautiful melodies, poetic lyrics (I don't speak Portugese, but that's what I've heard). In concert, he sings and plays keyboard, and usually tours with a second keyboardist. His recordings are wonderfully produced and arranged, typically including both acoustic and electric piano, synths, and acoustic and/or electric guitar. Early recordings 'A Noite' and 'Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite' contain many of his hits, and are full of great keyboard work. An even earlier one, 'Chama Acesa', has something of a contemporary jazz feel in parts (Rhodes, soprano sax) and includes keyboardist/arranger Gilson Peranzzetta (even less known in the USA). Ivan's show at Yoshi's in the late 90s (the tour which produced the CD 'Live at MCG, I think) was one of the best concerts I've ever seen of any type of music.
Oh, man. Ivan Lins is awesome. I stumbled upon him in an LA club the same month I stumbled upon Dori Cayimmi. Those two guys are incredible. As for Lins-- "Nos Os Somos Igauis" is a classic. There was a brilliant version done by Lee Ritenour with Phil Perry doing vocals. Not sure if you're familiar with Phil Perry-- another unsung vocal genius, that guy.
BobK wrote: Another great contemporary Brazilian keyboardist/arranger is Cesar Camargo Mariano, who was married to the late legendary Elis Regina, a Brazilian superstar singer. 'Elis and Tom' (1974) is a classic - another Brazilian recording where piano and Rhodes and acoustic and electric guitar all get along and complement each other.
Okee-dokee-- I'm going to have to add these names to my list since they are unfamiliar. I could do Brazilian all day long and never tire of it!!
SixStringGeek wrote:...Lately I've swallowed the anchor, spawned a young'un, and settled into a house with a little spare apartment that I can use for a studio. So, I've decided I've put it off long enough. I'm gonna do that album I've been meaning to put down forever.

Got a new mac, some new toys, time to get crackin'
You sound like one lucky guy-- new computer AND a new young'un!! I imagine that you are going to have a lot to say with this next project of yours. Be sure to post some teasers down the pike!
mhschmieder wrote: 1. Sergei Rachmaninov -- probably the greatest who ever lived
2. Vladimir Ashkenazy -- also a great/underrated conductor with a unique perspective
3. Marta Argerich -- her passion is almost unsurpassed, and she knows how to "tame" bloated works like Tchaikovsky's 1st
4. Alicia de la Roccha -- such tiny little hands, but such emotional depth and strong statements for broad contrast
5. Sviatoslav Richter -- probably the least egotistical pianist of all time; easy to work with; a great listener on concerti/sonatas
Can't argue with that list at all. We share the same likes (I've mentioned most of the same pianists in various threads here and there), but....

Isn't interesting that 4 of your 5 are Russians! I have no problem with that whatsoever!

Remarkable about Alicia-- have you heard her recording of the Rachmaninoff Third Concerto? Talk about small hands, she makes such tidy and passionate work of that monster-- fares better than a lot of folks with larger hands. Of course, her Albeniz and da Falla are second to none. I first came to know her through her recordings of Mozart. It's really hard to find anything bad to say about her at all-- and there seems to be no end to the good things that can be said truthfully.
logo80

Post by logo80 »

1 Korg Triton Classic proX as main controller with moss scsi and exb08, a cme uf7 master keyboard, kurzweil k2500r, motif es rack and a virus B... uh I forgot.. a roland ax1 and a U3 yamaha vertical piano
2 I'm trying to selling my k2500r to buy a k2661... but if we are talking about dream a fazioli grand would be simply perfect...
3 nothing more than a behringer BCF2000: very usefull with digital performer and to save drawbars settings without to affect programs on the kurzweil.
4 I would like to build a big modular... maybe a doepfer... but I don't have money..
5 Classical, metal progressive and many other except for dance music, hip hop and reggae.
6 Moore, Sherinian, Petrucciani, Jarret, Hiromi Uehara
7 g
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Flipper wrote:
Thanks, Prime M8!
No wuckers, WookieFoot. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

monkey man wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Thanks, Prime M8!
No wuckers, WookieFoot. :lol:
Wookie Foot
Flap-foot
Flipper
Big Foot
Frogster
Fwoggy

I'm losing count!! :P :P

I wear an Australian men's size 10, but I guess in halfling sizes that would be be closer to a size 20.

Point taken! :wink:
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

For key boards;
Decker Brothers of NY cabinet grand built around the 1870••™s, I had a photo of it but James pulled it, may be the girl in front he did not like. Kurzweil PC88MX, Yamaha DX7 good for fat sounds, 2 Korg Poly 800••™s nice for pad sounds.

Modals;
Yamaha TG500, 2 Yamaha FB-01 not used much,
Drum machine;
Yamaha Ry30 with a Dave Weckl card.
Not much VI••™s yet;
Reason, Acid Pro, Fruity Loops.

I play ever thing into a mixer then send to a 2408.

I will be getting more VI••™s, as they are very useful.
As for lust; as MLC said in the guitar post ••œ Bosendorfer 9' Imperial Concert Grand••
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.