A suggestion for this GREAT forum...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

MLC wrote:How about "Creating Music" or Music Creation? The description can cover all the bases after that.
Reads good, as long as the description specifies that is devoted to music creation not by technological means, but actual musical stuff, (eg, NOT music creation with software, etc) since it would be the only forum not related to technology stuff. Just bare brains, heart and ear. Err... and taste... :D
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A few more section title suggestions:

Musical Thoughts

Musician's Notebook

Musica Pratica

The Hobbit Hole

Free Shooshie

Maybe that last one sounds too political or too gastronomic?

:)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

`
Dang, I sense monkey-CPU overload.
It's proved to be quite a challenge trying to keep up with you humans with your speech, technology and now theory.

Patience may be required where this numb-skulled monkey's concerned.
I'll be here as kid in a candy store, a newbie in the veteran's quarters, a rookie in the league, a wet-behind-the-ears young punk at UnicorNation, if you will. :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

monkey man wrote:`
It's proved to be quite a challenge trying to keep up with you humans with your speech, technology and now theory...
Dude, in the end there is ONE rule to music theory, arranging, orchestration, composing, lyrics and the like. Count Basie said it best: "If it sounds good, it is good." On the more intellectual side, Aaron Copeland also had an insightful phrase: 'Anytime a learned man puts two words together about music, one of them is bound to be wrong.' Or Debussy: ••œWorks of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.••
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
monkey man wrote:`
It's proved to be quite a challenge trying to keep up with you humans with your speech, technology and now theory...
Dude, in the end there is ONE rule to music theory, arranging, orchestration, composing, lyrics and the like. Count Basie said it best: "If it sounds good, it is good." On the more intellectual side, Aaron Copeland also had an insightful phrase: 'Anytime a learned man puts two words together about music, one of them is bound to be wrong.' Or Debussy: ••œWorks of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.••

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:My biggest 'concern' about the new section is the same concern many have about the www and blogs. People become instant experts when, in fact, they may have very little to base that expertise on. Clearly, there are a few here who are qualified to offer definitive opinions. But there have also been some trolls who offered nothing more than spur of the moment crap with truly no basis in actual experience and with no real value in their words at all (IMO).
Totally agreed.

BUT, they usually become "demasked" and embarassed. They are usually pretty easy to spot. I suppose that only adds to the spark of heated arguments and the likes :D

It is usually good policy to take stuff from forums with a grain of salt (depending, of course, on the nature of the topic, poster, and forum)

What I usaully find best of these discussions is that you can see differing opinions and,, based on your own knowledge, you can take/leave what you need. Also, a few times you come along great resources/links (like the 2 YOU provided a few posts before --those were GREAT, BTW. Thanks!--)

It should be a lot of fun, and I imagine we will attract another crowd of people here as well. Let us just hope they are as "civilized" and non-trolls like the overwhelmingly majority here in UN.

And always, like your quote on Miles: If it sounds good, it sounds good. Period.

If we get this new music-only forum to be in quality and content as deep as the DP forum, it won't be long before it becomes one of the BEST music discussion forums on the web. With as much variety, since a lot of us come from very different backgrounds.

Really looking forward to it :P

Take care, my friends.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BTW, any volunteers to moderate this particular forum on here? I'm spread thin as it is. MIDILife or Shooshie, would either of both of you wish to do be moderators of this forum? That could handle the troll problem and you could remind people to stay off the "technology" and keep on track? PM me if you'd like to and I'll upgrade you. Also FM, you suggested the forum, so I would be happy to give you moderator priveleges (delete posts, etc.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh geez... I forgot Frodo too, which is a tremendous oversight given his talent. Further there are so many talented people on this board that I hope no one was offended if I didn't mention them specifically. These people and Frodo came to mind immediately, but I want to make it clear that I wasn't wanting to exclude anyone. I have enormous respect for all of you on this board!

**UPDATE** MIDILife said he's okay with it... so I'm going to make him a moderator. Anybody else interested in sharing that let me know. You should be able to delete posts. Refer bad guys to me for booting if necessary.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm tacking on Frodo as a moderator too. He's been very helpful to me keeping the spam under control. There is no practical limit to how many people can be given moderator privileges in the forum so if anyone else feel strongly that they'd like to, PM me.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... so new forum is up and zero activity. :-) Hopefully this won't become as slow as the Unisyn forum. :lol: Seriously though, if there isn't much demand for this I'm not sure a forum that sits dorman with very few topics is worthwhile. We'll give it a month or so and see how it goes.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote:Okay... so new forum is up and zero activity. :-) Hopefully this won't become as slow as the Unisyn forum. :lol: Seriously though, if there isn't much demand for this I'm not sure a forum that sits dorman with very few topics is worthwhile. We'll give it a month or so and see how it goes.
I had this fear too, especially as I've no theory knowledge and so assumed I'd be good for nothing in yet another way.

Tell you what, Jimbo, I'll mosey on down there, fling some poo and see if anything sticks. :lol:

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Monkey Man wrote:Tell you what, Jimbo, I'll mosey on down there, fling some poo and see if anything sticks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MIDI Life Crisis

monkey man wrote: Tell you what, Jimbo, I'll mosey on down there, fling some poo and see if anything sticks. :lol:
Gives a whole new meaning to the teflon john! (Oh wait, that was the teflon Don... my bad!) :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS