I can't recommend DP to others although I love it myself

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I can't recommend DP to others although I love it myself

Post by Timeline »

My friend Phil Collen from Def Leppard called for advice on a new system.

I had to recommend ProTools and digi 001 although I would have recommended DP but for one problem. Moving raw folder files over the internet....

SDII files become totally corrupted when they are transferred via the internet and this is totally unworkable. Yes you can bounce for a different format but I need to take raw audio folder files. When I'm sent files from other users in Aiff it always works perfect. SDII is just totally outdated.

If MOTU does not allow multi-format audio in DP5 I will likely not upgrade.

I felt this was important enough to list the point here for discussion.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
oldguitars

Post by oldguitars »

I have never had a problem sending SDII files over the internet. Ichat works great, or FTP. The only time i have had an issue is when a PC user gets them. Then they get mangled. If it is going to a PC, then i export them as AIFF.
3GHz 8 core, 6GB ram, DP 5.13, OSX.4.11, PTLE 7.4.2, Rosetta 200 digi003, waves platinum, mach five, distressors, ADL 1000, API, Calrec, UA mic pres, neumann, AT, shure, Sennheiser and rode mics...old guitars and drums...nord rack 2, s90, micro korg...yaddda yadda.
http://myspace.com/monkeydenrecording
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

oldguitars wrote:I have never had a problem sending SDII files over the internet. Ichat works great, or FTP. The only time i have had an issue is when a PC user gets them. Then they get mangled. If it is going to a PC, then i export them as AIFF.
arrythebannerJoined: 18 Oct Location: Brighton, MA
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 10:09 pm Post subject:
It's a good chance that somewhere along the lines of transmission that your files will end up passing through a PC or UNIX system, so if you're sending Mac-specific files like DP projects and SDII audio files you should probably ZIP or StuffIt them so they don't lose their resource forks.
You must compress the files with SDII as pointed out here due to resource fork loss
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

SDII is just totally outdated.
Amen! This is a format that even Digi (the creator of the format) has orphaned. I would vote for being able to choose among a list of formats to include, at the least, .aiff and broadcast wave.

For those who have not had this joyous experience yet: SD2 depends on a resource fork (remember those?) to hold all format data for a file - yes, even in OSX. This fork is stripped off when passed to a Unix or Windows file system and you end up with the data fork alone. No workie! You can zip these files, however, if you're intended is on a PC, they will need to know how to resolve them or use a "fork aware" utility to unstuff. Also, Apple has warned programmers for some time to get rid of forks in the OSX file system. I would say SDII's days are numbered.

Wayne
Last edited by markwayne on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Timeline wrote:
oldguitars wrote:I have never had a problem sending SDII files over the internet. Ichat works great, or FTP. The only time i have had an issue is when a PC user gets them. Then they get mangled. If it is going to a PC, then i export them as AIFF.
arrythebannerJoined: 18 Oct Location: Brighton, MA
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 10:09 pm Post subject:
It's a good chance that somewhere along the lines of transmission that your files will end up passing through a PC or UNIX system, so if you're sending Mac-specific files like DP projects and SDII audio files you should probably ZIP or StuffIt them so they don't lose their resource forks.
You must compress the files with SDII as pointed out here due to resource fork loss
Well, you can ZIP them without compressing them. It'll just package them up in an extractable container.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks cris. That's what I actually meant.
Tim

Post by Tim »

markwayne wrote:

Amen! This is a format that even Digi (the creator of the format) has orphaned.
And how lame MOTU looks still using a format that their rival created and tossed out. It's embarrasing.

I was meaning to ask MOTU about this at NAMM but totally forgot.

Go Pro, MOTU....
Broadcast Wave - AES Standard!
emulatorloo

Re: I can't recommend DP to others although I love it myself

Post by emulatorloo »

Timeline wrote:I had to recommend ProTools and digi 001
Well, you better call him back quick!!!!!! and tell him you meant digi 002.

Or he won't be your friend anymore.

Because per digi, the 001 stopped working at 10.3, QT 6.x and PT 6.4.
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Gotta cast my vote for .BWF as well. Timestamps are imbedded, so transferring files over internet is much easier. It's a multi-platform world out there, so MOTU needs to get up to speed.

While I'm at it, how about adding destructive record capability as well? Digi has had this since Sound Tools days. Very useful when mixing long-form projects (anything film-related).
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

emulatorloo wrote:
Timeline wrote:I had to recommend ProTools and digi 001
Well, you better call him back quick!!!!!! and tell him you meant digi 002.

Or he won't be your friend anymore.

Because per digi, the 001 stopped working at 10.3, QT 6.x and PT 6.4.
I told him 002. Miss-type. Thanks.
beubbo

Post by beubbo »

rockitcity wrote:...While I'm at it, how about adding destructive record capability as well? Digi has had this since Sound Tools days. Very useful when mixing long-form projects (anything film-related).
"destructive record capability"... could you be kind to elaborate just a little bit about this ?

Thanks.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Timeline wrote:I told him 002. Miss-type. Thanks.
just having a silly giddy day -- :lol:

(although 001s are going cheap and kinda thinking about getting one)

It will be interesting to see what happens w formats in DP5
mothra

Post by mothra »

Wait you recommended to Phil Collen a ProTools LE system??
He cant afford the real deal and go HD?

Hmm.. Somebody got screwed on their royalty checks...

:twisted:

You will find that MANY file types get screwed when you move them from Mac to PC. Has nothing to do with how outdated the SD file format is..
It has to do with the fact you dont know enough about the Mac OS to remember some of the file types still have these things called Resource Forks. This has ALWAYS been a problem between Mac and PC.
And like everyone else said, ZIP em and they work fine.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Hey I agree. If he wanted a full blown production system i would have said HD. He doesn't need it though.

He just adds guitars and a few vocals to an MP3 and sends them to Ireland dude.

Aiff files don't get screwed. So ....
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
GvdB

Post by GvdB »

SDII's won't get screwed either if you SIT of ZIP them first...

But still you've got a valid point.