DP vs Logic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
excatcher
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP vs Logic

Post by excatcher »

I've been a DP user since, well, since forever. But the audio engineer I work with jumped to Logic a year ago and goes on ad nauseum about its virtues. I succumbed to his pressure and got Logic, but I must be missing something (besides the beaucoup $ I spent). I've woodshedded the app, but to date I find even the simplest navigational conventions to be counterintuitive and clumsy. Could be that its function doesn't fit my form, that I'm so used to getting around in DP. Anyone out there have any experience••”good or bad••”with Logic? Like to comment?
rikp

Post by rikp »

I have also been using DP since day 1 (Performer). Got Logic 7 months ago and really went at the program. I agree with you. DP is much easier to get around, work, edit etc. But, I do love Logic's VIs, integration with Garage Band, and Mixing Presets. I now find myself doing my work in DP and importing into Logic to record my sax, flute, ect. I may be crazy, but to me Logic just sounds better than DP. No tests, just my ears. I really do love using both programs. Am I spoiled or what?

Peace

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studiodog »

Curiosity got to me and I downloaded the trial version of Logic.

:shock:

Could anything seem more illogical than that program? It about drove me nuts.

No thanks, I'll stick with DP. I wish VI's could run better without me having to get a faster computer though.
blue

Post by blue »

you realize you've just started a 200 post topic?! :shock:

either that or you'll get the obligatory "this subject has been discussed to death, just search the forum."

as a long time DP user who has had to learn logic to collaborate with others, i also find the app to be not nearly as intuitive and elegant. some of that thinking undoubtedly comes with the frustration of having to relearn how a sequencer works.

but, having used logic for about two years now, i still feel the same way i did way back when. a lot of people rave about its cpu efficiency, its bundled instruments and its flexibility. me, i think the instruments are nice. as for flexibility, i almost think it's too flexible. sure i can build complex MIDI processes in the environment, but what if i don't want to? why do simple operations have to be as difficult to fathom as complex ones?

one of DP's strengths is its thoughtful design. logic looks and operates like it was designed by programmers who care less about the user experience and more about "what this baby can do." it's funny, most of the people i know who rave about the depth and flexibility of the environment never do anything with it beyond setting up the basic tracks in the setup assistant. i think most users don't need all that low level functionality, and they certainly don't want to have to learn how to program it.

when i got dp, i read the manual twice so i wouldn't miss anything. i did that not only because i was new to sequencing but because the app inspired me to unlock everything (well, almost everything) it had to offer. i crack logic's manual because i have to, and more often than not i come away more confused than ever!
excatcher

DP vs Logic

Post by excatcher »

<You realize you've just started a 200 post topic?!

either that or you'll get the obligatory "this subject has been discussed to death, just search the forum.">

Only one handslap so far (yours). I was having trouble zeroing in on this specific topic (DP vs Logic). What's the best way to narrow this kind of search?
reekguitar

Post by reekguitar »

well, i started a post a while ago where people I work with move over to Logic... it's pretty obvious that more and more people want to give it a try.

VIs is no big point for me, I believe that it's not necessarely good that everybody uses the same kind of "logic" VI sounds.

I will stick with DP cause I have no time nor energy to learn any other programm at this point. Although I have to say that some stuff I've tryed and heard on logic were far better, period.
And yes DP is more intuitive!
Reek
G4 Silver 733 / OS 9.2 / Motu 1224 / Fastlane
DP-3.11 / Reason 2.5
Roland MB-D1 / JV-1010 / U-220 / Korg X-5
blue

Re: DP vs Logic

Post by blue »

excatcher wrote:<You realize you've just started a 200 post topic?!

either that or you'll get the obligatory "this subject has been discussed to death, just search the forum.">

Only one handslap so far (yours).
It was hardly a handslap. I meant it to be humorous. I even used a silly emoticon. Oh well.
excatcher

DP vs Logic

Post by excatcher »

You're absolutely right. I figured that this (DP vs Logic) must have been covered a million times; I just couldn't find a clean thread. I didn't really feel slapped as much as helped, so thanks.
blue

Re: DP vs Logic

Post by blue »

excatcher wrote:I figured that this (DP vs Logic) must have been covered a million times; I just couldn't find a clean thread.
Yea, finding a clean thread may be hard to do. People are pretty passionate about their software, and the Logic vs DP thing usually gets heated pretty quickly. Tangents form quickly.

Asking about people's experiences using Logic is casting a pretty big net. You're going to get a lot of answers, not all of them useful (this one?). I think you nailed it when you asked in your first post: "Could it be that its function doesn't fit my form." I think that may be what it boils down to. Some people like Logic, some DP. Some for valid reasons, others just because.

I'm not trying to discourage you from posting this question. But I would say that, without more specific questions you may just end up with a lot of open ended philosophizing. If you're just taking a survey, though, I guess that would suffice.
builder

Post by builder »

I really wanted to give logic its fair share when deciding was DAW to peruse and I must say, even thought it handles VI's better it is the most unintuitive software released. I am not saying that it is not powerful enough.
Give me DP anyday.
Music - http://www.missingpalmerwest.com/Missin ... songs.html

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studiodog »

You would think MOTU would be behooved to release a free, very stripped down version of DP for evaluation purposes.

Something with, for example, 4 MIDI tracks, a couple of mono and stereo tracks, and two or three plugins. They could even cripple it somehow. Limit it to one minute of sequence length or something.

Come on MOTU, it would help bring more users I think.
lordtom

Post by lordtom »

Well I bought DP 3 mos ago and IMO its nothing like logic. For me, Logic is miles ahead, easy to use, lots of Plugs and very stable on my DP 2.3.

My 2 cents
Mac DP 1.8 6 gig ram
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

Have tried out Logic Express, and DP's routing options and MIDI are much better IMO.
However, Logic seems to be much more efficient in terms of it's processor use, especially when using reason as a rewire instrument (although you don't seem to be able to record the audio from reason exept when doing a bounce). This kind of activity usually has flames shooting from the back of my poor old powerbook on DP, but seems fine on Logic....
nicken

Post by nicken »

I‘ve been using DP since version 2.7 and plan on doing so in the future as well but... The other day i did some CPU-tests comparing DP 4.61 to Logic Express 6.4. The tests where done on a 1.6 ghz G5 with 2 gigs of ram and no external soundcard was connected. I had the exakt same 24 bit 44.1 hz audio running in both DP and logic and also the same presets on the Altiverbs. The CPU-load figures where taken from the Activity Monitor utility. The results where as follows:

Built in audio, Buffer size 512
4 tracks no plugins
DP 23,5%
Logic 8,5%

4 tracks 1 Altiverb
DP 31,8%
Logic 19%

4 tracks 2 Altiverbs
DP 41%
Logic 30%

4 tracks 3 Altiverbs
DP 52,5% ?(49%-53%)
Logic 39%

4 tracks 4 Altiverbs
DP 63% Processor overload from time to time
Logic 49%

4 tracks 5 Altiverbs
DP Didin‘t even try...
Logic 60% (58••“62%)

4 tracks 6 Altiverbs
DP ...
Logic 70% (68%••“72%)

4 tracks 7 altiverbs
DP R.I.P.
Logic Mostly around 80%, but generally all over the place

4 tracks 8 Altiverbs
Logic Around 90%

4 tracks 9 Altiverbs
Logic No overload message but the computer was very slow

4 tracks 10 altiverbs
Logic Audio overload!

The biggest problem with DP isn‘t necessarily that it is so heavy on the CPU. As i see it the main problem is that already when the CPU-load is about 60 % you will get the occasional audio overload. Logic can be pushed up towards 90 % and still it keeps on delivering.

My 1 cent... :roll:
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Can anyone tell me if Logic has Tape style switching with direct monitoring/hardware playthrough in the main mixer?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2