The Future of Digital Performer

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Future of Digital Performer

Post by Michael Canavan »

All of the Air betas do not load as VST3 and Hybrid doesn't load as AU as well so VST2 only right now.

Still I'm pleasantly surprised, I thought these were all depreciated. Hopefully a GUI refresh is next.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:All of the Air betas do not load as VST3 and Hybrid doesn't load as AU as well so VST2 only right now.

Still I'm pleasantly surprised, I thought these were all depreciated. Hopefully a GUI refresh is next.
FWIW, Xpand2! is working okay for me. I was also able to open Hybrid VST3 inside Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:06 pm
Michael Canavan wrote:All of the Air betas do not load as VST3 and Hybrid doesn't load as AU as well so VST2 only right now.

FWIW, Xpand2! is working okay for me. I was also able to open Hybrid VST3 inside Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6.
Yeah all of them either work as AU or VST2 here, but no VST3 directly in DP11. Still, I didn't think they would do it at all, so it has to count as a win. Mostly DP on Mac shows how sketchy VST3 is even 15 years on, considering it's always the most likely format to fail evaluation here.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Yeah all of them either work as AU or VST2 here, but no VST3 directly in DP11. Still, I didn't think they would do it at all, so it has to count as a win. Mostly DP on Mac shows how sketchy VST3 is even 15 years on, considering it's always the most likely format to fail evaluation here.
I’ll have to try Hybrid as VST2. AU and VST3 were a fail in DP (although each format works in Logic and Cubase respectively). Hopefully they’ll sort it out. I have noticed DP seems much more picky about which plugs it will validate than other DAWs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:37 pm I’ll have to try Hybrid as VST2. AU and VST3 were a fail in DP (although each format works in Logic and Cubase respectively). Hopefully they’ll sort it out. I have noticed DP seems much more picky about which plugs it will validate than other DAWs.
It is, I've got too many DAWs here and DP is easily the pickiest. Mostly with VST3, I would say it's not any more random than the rest about AU and VST2. Sometimes it's the developer, U-He were honest enough to admit it and fix an issue one of their plugins had with AU in DP11. DP like Live and Reaper though can use any plugin format, so far I've yet to run into a plugin that couldn't at least run in DP in at least one of the formats.

I do hope MOTU adopt CLAP in the future, the new plugin format that has at least three major DAWs using it. CLAP is supposed to solve 90% of these issues being an open source cross platform DAW agnostic format with plenty of documentation for both plugin and host developers.