Effect Error - PANIC MODE!!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bigcityrecording
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Effect Error - PANIC MODE!!!

Post by bigcityrecording »

Opening up any DP session brings up the "Effect Error" dialog with a list of effects that could not be found. Going to preferences shows that they are no longer enabled. I can enable them, but the instances that were already in place in the inserts are still disabled. This is true for my 3rd party plug-ins such as UAD, Izotope, Alitiverb, etc, not the native ones.

How do I enable the instances that are already in place?

The only thing that has changed since the time they all were working is that I did update my OS (10.12 to 10.12.6). Subsequently, I reset PRAM and used disc utility to check permissions on the boot drive all to no avail.

You might think it's no big deal, but I literally have over 100 projects that are in various stages of completion and none of them are opening with the instances working. I'm definitely panicking right now because I have several projects on a deadline. I've tried on DP 8 and DP 9 with the same problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Tavenner
Big City Recording Studios
Man Alive Music Productions
Los Angeles, CA
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Effect Error - PANIC MODE!!!

Post by mikehalloran »

There are a few possible causes.

The first I would check is whether you are running DP in 32 bit or 64 bit mode. You can check this by running Get Info on the DP icon. If it shows 64 bit, change to 32 bit and see if those effects reappear.

do you have your effects installed in the Default locations? If so, boot your Mac in Safe mode. When your desktop icons appear, shut down and reboot. Also boot DP in Safe mode—again, hold the Shift key (nothing will work—that’s ok), when it’s up, Quit and start normally. Both versions of Safe mode rebuild any paths corrupted by another install.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bigcityrecording
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Effect Error - PANIC MODE!!!

Post by bigcityrecording »

So, the OS update did somehow reset DP to boot in 64-bit mode.
Also, somehow the UAD plugins reverted to VST instead of AU mode (that could be pilot error when troubleshooting).

So, changing DP to 32-bit mode AND making sure the plugin default mode is set to AU fixed the problem.

Thank you for your help, Mike!
Paul Tavenner
Big City Recording Studios
Man Alive Music Productions
Los Angeles, CA