MIDI Editing Question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gmg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Editing Question

Post by gmg »

Hi Everyone,

I had a question regarding how best to handle a pesky MIDI editing issue. Every time I make an edit that affects time - snipping a chunk of MIDI, scaling time, etc. - all the markers and tempo and other conductor track events stay put, so I have to go in and manually edit those as a separate step, to keep up with the changes.

Does anyone know if there is there some kind of setting that ensures all events past the location of the edit get shifted accordingly, so one doesn't manually have to go in and adjust after every edit of this kind?

Thanks!

Gordon
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Editing Question

Post by stubbsonic »

Make sure you select the conductor track when you do those edits. Also, you can check the edit filter to see what is included in your selections.

Still, I'm not sure if that will move your tempos. That might be too "dangerous" ?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also check that tracks aren’t locked. I think that preserves markers and other stuff in their original position. I never use that feature so :rtfm:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Can't speak for scaling time, but as was mentioned make sure you've selected the conductor track as well when snipping events. I find this much easier to do in the Tracks window, and if I've marked my song changes with Markers, selecting the Marker at the beginning of the area you want removed will select all events including the Conductor track until the next marker, select snip and done.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
gmg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by gmg »

Thank you all very much for the very helpful responses. Making the changes in the track window does the trick, and the tempos shift around as expected - I had been working mostly in the MIDI window, and it seems that the edits there don't implicitly carry over to that track, even when all the tracks are selected in the track selection panel.