Vintech 1272 For Starters

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Akai96
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Vintech 1272 For Starters

Post by Akai96 »

I,am wanting to track my MIDI instruments through a mic pre,would this be a good choice or mabye a tube instead? As i have heard that the 1272 is not a tube.

<small>[ July 19, 2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Jason Gaines ]</small>
Just testing this thing out
tringlesceo

Re: Vintech 1272 For Starters

Post by tringlesceo »

get a b.l.u.e. robbie.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

You don't have to have a tube-pre to warm up a track, some pres (such as Vintech, Focusrite, etc) that are solid-state will provide some warmth. The Blue ROBBIE is a very good product, but it's only a single channel so he'd need (2) of them. A product I recommend heavily is the Focusrite ISA428. This is a very good 4-CHANNEL preamp that also has a DI on each input. For slightly more money over the Vintech, you're getting (2) more channels. The ISA sound isn't as warm, but there is still some warmth with more clearity. I use it for all of my keyboard tracks and really like the results. Actually, I'm now using the DI's on the ISA428, inserting out to my Liquid Channels for compression (when needed) and using the optional MH442 converter card to go digital into my system. great results.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
TRUN

Post by TRUN »

Brad.. I was looking at the ISA 428 as well for tracking keys and drums samples directly to DP....I have an ADL stereo tube direct box and was looking for a nice pre to match up that could also double and do vocals...the Great River has been mentioned and I wanted your opinion on saving a few extra bucks and getting the Great River, or will the ISA-428 be what the doctor ordered for me... looking for a little warmth, but clarity...... thanks......
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

Trun,

I think the ISA428 could be the ticket, I love mine and use it extensively.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
MT

Post by MT »

Ditto on Brian's comments. The ISA is a great unit, and the cost is so reasonable. Not that my opinion matters - the Sweetwater guys know what they're talking about. Shout out to Ted!

MT
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
duncan

Post by duncan »

The Focusrite Trakmaster Pro compares favorably with the 428, or so they say. It's a single channel mic preamp with compression for $299. I like it better than my FMR RNP for vocals. It seems to warm things up a bit but you don't lose presence. And you can really squash stuff with the compressor if you want to. Plus it has a VU meter.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will wipe out an entire species."
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

The Trakmaster Pro is a good unit in its price, but it does NOT compare with the ISA ;-) Completely different level of sound. If you like the Platinum Range, you'll go ga-ga for the ISA.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Akai96

Post by Akai96 »

Originally posted by Brad Lyons:
The Trakmaster Pro is a good unit in its price, but it does NOT compare with the ISA ;-) Completely different level of sound. If you like the Platinum Range, you'll go ga-ga for the ISA.
How does this thing compare with the Vintech 1272? Because I'm lookin for a that agressive neve sound.
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

The Vintech is like an original NEVE, nice warm sound and more mid-range pressence. The Focusrite ISA has some coloration, very round and smoothe sound. It has more clearity on the top end. What I like about the ISA preamp (for microphones) is that you have some warmth, but not too much. You have some neutrality and clearity, but it's not sterile. Using the example of recording acoustic guitar, if I use my Earthworks TC30K's or Royer ribbons on the guitar, I'm going to get more of the natural sound of that instrument but it won't be so pristine that it's just clean gain. But if I throw a Soundelux U99 on it, I get that saturated tube-warmth I want. The Vintech isn't as versatile, but it's VERY good at giving you a vintage warm sound that's in your face.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Akai96

Post by Akai96 »

Originally posted by Brad Lyons:
The Vintech is like an original NEVE, nice warm sound and more mid-range pressence. The Focusrite ISA has some coloration, very round and smoothe sound. It has more clearity on the top end. What I like about the ISA preamp (for microphones) is that you have some warmth, but not too much. You have some neutrality and clearity, but it's not sterile. Using the example of recording acoustic guitar, if I use my Earthworks TC30K's or Royer ribbons on the guitar, I'm going to get more of the natural sound of that instrument but it won't be so pristine that it's just clean gain. But if I throw a Soundelux U99 on it, I get that saturated tube-warmth I want. The Vintech isn't as versatile, but it's VERY good at giving you a vintage warm sound that's in your face.
So the ISA and the 1272 are neck on neck with overall sonic quality,and this is a matter of my
preference?
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

Well all pres really are preference..... IMHO, I think you get more bang for the buck with the ISA. It's sound is similar to the Vintech, but different. Either will provide killer results, it's really a matter of preference and taste.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
zobomix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zobomix »

I have never used the ISA428 but I have been tracking on neve console (8078 board with 1073 preamps) for some time. If you are looking for a certain degree of warmth the Vintech will give you that, which is really the main characteristic of the Neve sound.

I have never used the ISA428 but the Neve sound is a special one indeed. Although, the Neve does tend to be a bit cloudy in the midrange area and that's why some people prefer API on kicks and snares. In fact, API is another great pre that is used for its superior clarity in the midrange spot and the best choice for kicks and snares. Yes, two API500 series mic pres are more expensive, twice more than the Vintech 1272.

I would go for the Vintech if I were you.
zobomix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zobomix »

Just adding one note real quick. The Neve sound is not aggressive at all. It may well be quite the opposite, it's smooth and silky at times.

I have no business in selling audio equipment as it is not my job, but an alternative to the Vintech is the following.

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com

In any case, good luck with your choice.
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

I agree with the above: API would be my choice for aggressive, mid-forward stuff. The Neve would be my choice for a smoother, more forgiving sound.

I'll also second the seventh circle plug. Tim has done his homework. His Neve clone, while not a perfect copy, is - IMHO - far better sounding than the Vintech and his API clone is just dead to rights. I built a home-made rack, sampler-platter, of Tim's pres a while back and have been using them more than any of the "name-brand" stuff I own.

If you don't relish the idea of soldering, I think the Great River stuff is about as good as it gets in the Neve-ish territory.

just my thoughts,
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.