OS upgrade drama: mountain lion bites MC Control -- RESOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
otalgia-2000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OS upgrade drama: mountain lion bites MC Control -- RESOLVED

Post by otalgia-2000 »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESOLVED! (...sorta...)

thanks to everyone who helped out. here's what i did:

ran for the hills, rolled back to Eucon 2.6.1.

then re-copied an old Econ Bundle file (which, with huge props to stephentayler, i had kept saved in its own location) over the new one in library/audio/plugins/motu control surface.

MC Control load is MUCH faster now, DP launch is faster also. the only thing i sort of miss about Eucon 3 (for the few precious moments during which it kinda worked, a little) was that it very helpfully scrolled DP to the selected track. and we're talking 3 panes of the consolidated window: tracks, channel strip, and sequence (even tracks that were scrolled-below at the moment).

but heck, i'll take "works" over "tased into jelly" any day!

my thanks again to everyone on this board who generously gives time to share knowledge.

0-2k

//// read the bone-chilling original post & subsequent exchanges below ///

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

greetings everyone

yes. i was afraid something like this would happen.

upgrading from snow leopard to ML (10.8.5) has taken out my MC-Control and i'm appealing for experiences or advice any of you all might have to share.

after some valiant tweeking and many a re-start (SSD... hmmm....), i've ended up with this:

- applied Eucon 3.01, no dice.

- performed plist-file trash & Eucon-relaunch sequence as suggested on an AVID faq. also, nada. this i did prior to...

- ...re-installed DP (8.05) -- Control Surface Setup offers eucon as an option. it is selected.

- the control surface will boot, tho this takes much longer than before. kinda distressing but better than it never mounting at all, which was happening for awhile there. i was actually having to go into EuControl Settings and move the discovered CS over to the list of My Surfaces manually with every re-start (ouch). happily that *seems* to have ironed itself out now.

- once the suface is up, it will "recognize" DP insofar as the words "Digital Performer" display in the upper left of the MC's touchscreen when DP has the focus.

- control surface loads my stored softkeys and they work, which makes sense under the circumstances.

- repaired permissions.

- but: but no tracks display on the touchscreen, the surface's transport, faders and track selection buttons have lost functionality.

if i go into Eucon in SysPref's, i can add DP to the (empty) list of applications there, but only have the choice of HUI or mackie control to associate (no Eucon). i managed to get some functionality back by choosing HUI this way, but only to a very limited degree -- just one row of tracks on the touchscreen, really nothing like what i enjoyed previously.

don't know whether this is significant but i've noticed that i'm no longer challenged if i want to accept incoming network connections when DP loads (i was accustomed to just "yes"-ing thru this at launch). but like'say, whole new OS here and i can't say if that means anything or not.

would be most appreciative of any suggestions!

all the best,
o-2k
Last edited by otalgia-2000 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
cloudsplitter

Re: OS upgrade drama: mountain lion bites MC Control

Post by cloudsplitter »

I think you need to go to the motu website and download the proper driver.
Mac Pro 3,1 8 core 12 gigs ram Mavericks. DP-8.05 Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra, motu traveler, motu MIDI express, 2-24" LCD monitors, Yamaha HS80M,Yamaha NS10M's JBL28P monitors. Mackie control universal, BFD-2, Omnisphere,Trilian Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio/Editor, . Alesis Masterlink. Avalon 737sp. PCM 90. MikTek C4V. Korg Triton Extreme. Paul Reed Smith guitars, MPC-2500 there's more..but that's the heart of it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

links greatly appreciated, mh! i neglected to mention that i had already hit up a different avid FAQ and performed a various-plist-files-trash-routine recommended there, a detail which i will add to my original post now. (and just finding my ~/library folder... yeesh, that was slippery!)

however i hadn't seen this particular FAQ page, and i thank you for that. many of the questions are about failed connections, whereas my dilemma centers more around improving the connection i can make. but we shall see... i'm sure it's something.

i'm considering a roll back (yet again) to 2.6.2 which was the last working version for me. but i was already running 2.6.2 when the ML u/g knocked out my controller so i'm not sure that returning will do the trick. but i reckon i can always give it a shot.

with appreciation, yours from re-start,
0-2k

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

cloudsplitter wrote:I think you need to go to the motu website and download the proper driver.
thank you for the suggestion, cs. i searched the MOTU site for driver downloads (these do not seem to be found on the main updates page) but the extensive list of drivers returned by my search didn't include any results for "eucon". in fact, the page search bounces at "eu"...

are you aware of a page on the MOTU site i should look at particularly?

yours in the vortex,
0-2k

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I know this sounds bizarre, but every time I start DP I have to go into Setup>Control Surface Setup and enable a Eucon driver.

Also, I made the Eucon a trusted application

System Preference Panel > Security and Privacy > Accessibility
Then drag the Eucon application into the window that says "Allow the apps below to control your computer." and check the little box.

About that last one, can't remember where I read something that led to that. I'm not sure it's necessary, but have not had the chance to experiment once I got it working.

My problem is that the screen is really really slow to respond to input, but only in DP. Other apps seems normal.

EDIT: I have an Artist Control btw, not a MC

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

nk_e wrote:Also, I made the Eucon a trusted application

System Preference Panel > Security and Privacy > Accessibility
Then drag the Eucon application into the window that says "Allow the apps below to control your computer." and check the little box.
thanks, nk_e.

i'm trying this but embarrassed to say that i can't find what you describe in ML SysPrefs -- there doesn't seem to be a tab for "accessibility" in the S&P options.

S&P > "firewall" tab > "firewall options" seems like the closest match (and Eucon is on the list along with ExHUI, ExMackie and MC Client). but there's nothing in that pane that offers a selection for "allow apps to control...".

am i looking in the wrong place? (SysPrefs "accessibility" options doesn't seem quite the right choice either... different kinda "accessibility" there!)

much appreciated,
o-2k

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

No. My mistake. I'm on Mavericks.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com