MOTU Audio/UltraLite problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ceedub
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ceedub »

Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated.

Playback in DP is sluggish, starts and stops, clicks and pops, and stops completely. I get the “Audio playback has overloaded your computer’s processor” message repeatedly, even when I’m playing just a single stereo track. Playing a track in iTunes produces the same symptoms. Sometimes iTunes hangs. Sometimes the Ultralite “disappears” and all my outputs switch to Built-in Audio. DP often hangs on startup. Sometimes if I stop using the computer for a while, I return to find the UltraLite power off.

Playback using Built-in audio is usually fine.

Sometimes if I just keep working through all the starts, stops, and dropouts, audio starts to function normally after 10-15 minutes of use.

Also, my computer is suddenly shutting down occasionally. Kernel panic. This happens at any time, not just while running DP. It has happened while running Excel, Word, Safari… Don’t know if this is related.

I have repaired permissions, trashed preferences, run hardware check, Disk Utility, etc.

All software/firmware is up to date.
Ultralite v.1.15
DP 7.24
MOTU FW/Audio Driver 1.6
Mac OS 10.6.8

MacBook Pro 15” (2010) 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
MOTU UltraLite
4 external FW HDs

Thanks very much.

Cheers.
DeMoloy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Audio/UltraLite problems

Post by DeMoloy »

I have had the same problem as you describes it, but first after installing MacOS 10.7 Lion. What I did was downloading the latest driver for MOTU UltraLite. 1.6 48575 http://www.motu.com/newsitems/software- ... u-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you need to uninstall the old driver, before installing the latest update:

Follow these instructions to reinstall the drivers:

Turn the interface off.
Launch the installer and choose Uninstall from the install drop down menu in the upper left hand corner of the window. Once the operation is complete, quit the installer.
Go into the Hard drive/Users/your user name/Library/Preferences, locate the files named com.motu.firewire.CueMix.console.plist, com.motu.firewire.SMPTE.console.plist, com.motu.FireWireAudio, and MOTU FireWire Console.prefs, move them to the trash and empty the trash.
Go into the Hard Drive/Applications and make sure the MOTU Audio Setup, MOTU CueMix Console and MOTU SMPTE Setup are no longer there. If they are still there, move them to the trash and empty the trash.
Restart the computer. Launch the installer and install the latest MOTU OS X FireWire drivers. Once the installer is complete, restart the computer. Do not turn the interface on until the OS is fully booted with all drives and icons mounted on the desktop.

iMac 2.8 GH Intel i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard disk
MOTU UltraLite (first generation)
External Hard drives from LaCie
Technics SX-P30 88-keys digital piano
DeMoloy

Post by DeMoloy »

...and it did not work. The problem is still there... :x
mjmoody

Post by mjmoody »

I had all kinds of problems, started a tech file, etc., then realized there was a problem with the FireWire chord. Got a new one and everything is working like a charm. The thing is that the "symptoms" seemed like the ultralite was the problem...

John
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Digital Performer 8.05
UltraLite (2007)
Komplete 7, Omnisphere, IvoryII, and other VIs
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

"4 external FW HDs"

Does the problem still exist with those disconnected? One bad cable in the chain can cause all of the problems that you describe.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
DeMoloy

Post by DeMoloy »

I bought a new Fire Wire chord as you did John, and everything is functioning! Thanks John! :D

- dagfinn

iMac 2.8 GH Intel i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard disk
MOTU UltraLite (first generation)
External Hard drives from LaCie
Technics SX-P30 88-keys digital piano
Finale 2011, Logic 8.1 (which does not function under Lion...)