DP 7.23 and Lion recent experience

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SmilesLots
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 7.23 and Lion recent experience

Post by SmilesLots »

I put lion on an SSD along with DP7.23. Today I went to use it and DP would not even start up. Gave me the message that Clockworks was a ppc application. Hope Motu will fix this soon.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
Frodo

Re: DP 7.23 and Lion recent experience

Post by Frodo »

Posted by MOTU just a few days ago.

MOTU Products and 10.7

You might also want to keep tabs on various threads like these as news develops:

OSX Lion Compatibility

Official Word on DP and Lion
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

DP 7.23 runs and opens and plays a project with only audio but several chunks on my old MacBook Pro. Played around a little bit with it and seems fine. But as MOTU says it's incompatible I wouldn't dare install it on my studio computer just yet. But as soon as DP and UAD are good to go (PLAY is supposed to already be) I'm going Lion there too.

What is clockworks? Try to ditch it then run DP?
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots »

FutureLegends wrote:DP 7.23 runs and opens and plays a project with only audio but several chunks on my old MacBook Pro. Played around a little bit with it and seems fine. But as MOTU says it's incompatible I wouldn't dare install it on my studio computer just yet. But as soon as DP and UAD are good to go (PLAY is supposed to already be) I'm going Lion there too.

What is clockworks? Try to ditch it then run DP?
Clockworks is what you use to digitally connect and sync up all your MIDI gear. Cannot use hardware synths or sound modules without it.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

SmilesLots wrote: Clockworks is what you use to digitally connect and sync up all your MIDI gear. Cannot use hardware synths or sound modules without it.
Ok. But is it a part of DP or a plug-in or additional software?
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I guess Lion built in a carbon alert. :lol:
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I guess we're going to have to lower our carbon footprint now. :shake:

Seriously, I'm having serious misgivings about Lion. What it does to Spaces will probably make it impossible to use DP the way I've grown accustomed to. I still haven't explored that. Tried to put it on my backup OSX partition, but I discovered that the disk hasn't been bootable for some time. Not sure what happened or when, but that's another issue, and until I resolve that, I won't be able to try out Lion. Looks like it's time for the big backup shuffle again, where I consolidate a lot of old disks and free up a lot of space, making room for a new partition for Lion on one of my SATA drives.

but if you read the reviews of Lion in the Mac App store, the negative ones aren't very encouraging. Maybe those are just the people who don't know how to use keyboard commands, or something to that effect.

If anyone could give a thorough trial of Spaces to see what's possible and what's not, I'd appreciate it. (It's not Spaces anymore, though. I guess it's Mission Control, or something like that.) It's looking like Apple made some of my favorite things (Spaces, Expose, Dashboard, to name a few) much more difficult to use, requiring extra time and extra steps.

Is it coincidental that this occurred while Steve Jobs has been too sick to ride herd on the company? This even causes me to worry for Apple's future. But I'll try to withhold judgment until I can really try it for myself and determine if there are ways to work around some of the new obstacles.

I think I'll like the scrolling method. I've actually wanted that for years, and now that I use the iPad a lot, I find myself wanting to move window content directly rather than the traditional opposite "clothesline" approach of scroll bars. But to lose Spaces? I don't know if I can take that. It has grown to be such an important part of my DP workflow.

The Apple giveth and the Apple taketh away. Thus saith the book of Jobs.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I don't know if I'm missing something, but Spaces seem to work as before..... I'll have a look next time....

I managed to set up 4 different Spaces in DP, with the usual common Transport bar..... seemed to be fine, and worked well with the Track pad gesture. It did not come back after reopening DP though, had to set it up again as before.

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

I was gonna try out the spaces and DP for Shooshie but then DP crashed and now I can't even open any projects without DP crashing...

I'm under the impression though that if anything, spaces are much improved in Lion.
I have never used them in earlier versions though.

Been using Lion now for a while... I'd say it's not that much different. And the shouts about it not being fit for pro work and yadda yadda seem to be much exaggerated. Feels to me to be just a bunch of improvements all around. As soon as your adjusted to them I believe it will be a better experience, for sure.

However it seems like many of the improvements really need a multi-touch trackpad. On my old MacBook Pro without multi-touch the new things like mission control and launch pad are kinda awkward to use...

So when the time comes to upgrade the studio Mac Pro I'm gonna get a Magic TouchPad as well...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I hope you guys are right! One question: can you go directly to any space with a keyboard command? (essential for good workflow)

Shoosh

PS: still don't have my partition up and running for Lion. Sorry to have to ask so many questions.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots »

FutureLegends wrote:
SmilesLots wrote: Clockworks is what you use to digitally connect and sync up all your MIDI gear. Cannot use hardware synths or sound modules without it.

Clockworks gets installed whenever you install MIDI drivers and software, like for the MTP-AV-USB, as part of DP. It is a separate download and install. If you are using hardware synths and sound modules, it would be an absolute necessity.
mess
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mess »

SmilesLots wrote:
FutureLegends wrote:

Clockworks gets installed whenever you install MIDI drivers and software, like for the MTP-AV-USB, as part of DP. It is a separate download and install. If you are using hardware synths and sound modules, it would be an absolute necessity.
Sorry, but you are painfully mistaken on this.

Clockworks is only absolutely necessary if you are using a DTP to synchronize various digital devices via timecode.

If you're using an MTP AV you can use the front panel controls to setup the time based sync scenarios.

Clockworks has absolutely nothing to do with transmitting MIDI data to or from your hardware synths or sound modules. That communication is all handled via Core MIDI a/k/a Apple's built-in MIDI communication API in all versions of Mac OS X post 10.1. You access it via Audio MIDI Setup or via the Bundles window in DP.
cloudsplitter

Post by cloudsplitter »

Sorry, but you are painfully mistaken on this.

Clockworks is only absolutely necessary if you are using a DTP to synchronize various digital devices via timecode.

If you're using an MTP AV you can use the front panel controls to setup the time based sync scenarios.

Clockworks has absolutely nothing to do with transmitting MIDI data to or from your hardware synths or sound modules. That communication is all handled via Core MIDI a/k/a Apple's built-in MIDI communication API in all versions of Mac OS X post 10.1. You access it via Audio MIDI Setup or via the Bundles window in DP.
Mess is correct, I only use Clockworks when I sync up my analogue tape machine with DP via SMPTE time code. other than that core MIDI takes care of all other synchronization. When DP is set to "Internal" in the sync menu Apple handles all the sync. it's all in the manual.
Mac Pro 3,1 8 core 12 gigs ram Mavericks. DP-8.05 Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra, motu traveler, motu MIDI express, 2-24" LCD monitors, Yamaha HS80M,Yamaha NS10M's JBL28P monitors. Mackie control universal, BFD-2, Omnisphere,Trilian Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio/Editor, . Alesis Masterlink. Avalon 737sp. PCM 90. MikTek C4V. Korg Triton Extreme. Paul Reed Smith guitars, MPC-2500 there's more..but that's the heart of it.
Tuxtla

Post by Tuxtla »

SmilesLots wrote:I put lion on an SSD along with DP7.23. Today I went to use it and DP would not even start up.
I cloned my working Snow Leopard drive to an external HD - booted from it - reauthorized DP 7.23 and upgraded to Lion. I rebooted from my normal SL drive, ran Disk Warrior on the Lion HD, booted back in to Lion, repaired permissions and opened DP 7.23. It opened and I was able to load a recent project but the playback controls wouldn't work. No response to any key-strokes. No response to clicking on the controls.
MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz | 8 GB RAM | Mac OS X 10.6.8

DP 7.23 with MachFive 2, MX 4, | Alchemy | Rapture | AltiVerb 6 | NI Reaktor 5, Kontakt 4, Absynth 5 | PSP Lexicon, 84, 608 and Nitro | Augustus Loop | Spectron | Novation Remote 37SL.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Not sure why we're talking about Clockworks, but it does the following:
• channeling control of specific devices from other specific devices
• routing of MIDI through the MTP-AV and other MOTU MIDI devices that use it
• control of external pedals, knobs, and sliders for various MIDI applications
• real-time blocking of specific MIDI functions on specific cables/channels
• transposition of channels per specific cable
• muting of specific cables or channels
• freewheeling MIDI Time code, and other real time control over MIDI time code (but not necessary for creation of time code)

Also, some of these features no longer seem to work. They were part of Clockworks for a decade, then they seemed to go away. Not sure which ones or when. In fact, I'm not sure Clockworks still really does anything other than select saved control banks in the MTP. I've had little success with Clockworks lately.

Shooshie