DP6 stability

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
macpibe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP6 stability

Post by macpibe »

Anyone have stability problems with the DP6 v.60.1?
My new program quits when I try to make a fade out in a soundfile!...
It's for me. or this program have more problems that never?
Many thank for your opinions.

DP 6.01, Dual 2Ghz.G5, 10.4.8
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP6 stability

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've had very few issues with DP6.01/10.4.11/Intel

But in fact more than with DP5.123/10.4.11/Intel which was a real rock here.

Cmd+S is not the rule as with DP5 early days, but I click those frequently though !

Could you try DP6.01/10.4.11 on another drive ?
And run the old tedious plugins test :
1 - disable all of third party ones and run some projects. Old and new ones.
2 - bring the plugs back one by one, or manufacturer by manufacturer
A plugin management utility will make these tests much faster.
I'll take AudioFinder over DP6 own plugin manager for this job any time.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

macpibe wrote:Anyone have stability problems with the DP6 v.60.1?
It's for me. or this program have more problems that never?
Many thank for your opinions.

DP 6.01, Dual 2Ghz.G5, 10.4.8
If you are experiencing too much trouble, just down-grade to a more stable version. No biggie. It seems, from what I keep reading here, that either, DP 6 works for some just fine, or it just doesn't, to the point of being almost unusable for a few here.
Your case seems to be the latter, so if you are using DP professionally, and deadlines seem to start strangling you, why suffer? 2 VERY stable versions are 4.61 (which I use), or 5.13.
Mind which OS version you use with each DP version. This is a BIG factor, apparently.

Also, remember that DP 6 went through MAJOR changes and improvements in MANY areas, so it's kind of understandable that it has issues and it's not perfect (yet). The way I see DP 6 is: Instal under your own risk. So if you don't have time to experiment, or just can't afford downtime, use a prior version. However, if you are not facing deadlines, or don't loose much by these annoyances, then do try it and experiment with all the fixes that you can find here, by all means.

I will start using DP 6x in my main production computer when MOTU releases 6.1, or 6.5. If history repeats itself, that's when it should work beautifully and reliably for professional work. It's totally a new version, after all...

Also note that there are enough users here who are not experiencing any problems, on the other hand, so it's kind of like a mixed bag.

Just my 2 pesos.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
macpibe

Post by macpibe »

Thanks for your comments...but
I will start using DP 6x in my main production computer when MOTU releases 6.1, or 6.5. If history repeats itself, that's when it should work beautifully and reliably for professional work. It's totally a new version, after all...
I understand this, but, can a new version of software have a "little" bug that quits when a fade out is made?
I'm a Macintosh technician and have to fight with those mayor problems when I install new versions to my customers.
I think that the very old versions of Performer had better code and software design.
magicd

Post by magicd »

macpibe wrote:Thanks for your comments...but
I understand this, but, can a new version of software have a "little" bug that quits when a fade out is made?
I'm a Macintosh technician and have to fight with those mayor problems when I install new versions to my customers.
I think that the very old versions of Performer had better code and software design.
I'm running DP 6.01 on my MacBook Pro and I've never had a crash when working with a fade.

This may or may not make a difference, but I do recommend upgrading your OS to 10.4.11

Have you run any disk maintenance utilities lately?

Dave
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Yes UPGRADE to 10.4.11 as there was many core audio improvements in the last update in tiger.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

macpibe wrote:A
Also, check your permissions. It could be something whacky going on when DP tries to access your Fades folder.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I had to go back to 5.13 to get stuff done.
Was trying to run 6.01 on an 8 core 3.2ghz machine OSX 10.5.5 and was to unstable, quits and freezing.
I tried everything and from what I've been reading it looks like most the problems are with DP6.01 and these 8 core Macs
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

I would love to go back. But what to do if you CAN'T?

I think the ideal OS/DP setup is 10.4.11 and DP 5.13. But in my case, I have a new MacPro, so that means moving back an OS is not possible. And I upgraded from DP 4, and getting 5 is also quite problematic.
I have learned my lesson. Just because you spend alot of dough and get the newest stuff, in no way means its going to work.
And asking MOTU for advice is also silly (another lesson learned).

I am now seriously considering moving to Logic. There is no way to tell when all this is ever going to be worked out. If someone could/would give me some ballpark (if that's even possible?) it might keep me in DP. But the Logic users seem to be a very content bunch right now...

DP is constantly crashing. Its ability to deal with VI's is spotty at best. Opening these outside of DP seems to help BUT what is the point of that? Soundflower is not my idea of a great solution. Dragging a note in the score should not crash a program. Recording MIDI tracks from my GIGASTUDIO one at a time should not bring up the Audio Performance dialogue.

This entire studio upgrade saga has caused me countless hours of frustrations and probably doubled the time it takes me to work on a project.

DP 6.0 OS 10.5.5 3.0 Ghz MacPro 18 GIGS or RAM. UAD-1e, MOTU USB Express XT, 2048 Mk II and Mk III, and if you are still reading zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Are you on DP6 or 6.01

I would recommend upgrading to .01 before you make any hasty decisions.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I see you have one of the 8 core Macs wrathy and this just confirms my belief.
I'm wondering if MOTU did any testing with these Macs.
I remmeber I bought my dual G4 when they first came out and there was an issue with some apps running on multi processors.
After a patch came out all was well.
I'm hoping this happens soon.
Last edited by wylie1 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
macpibe

Post by macpibe »

After reading previous DP6 user problems in this forum, I confirm this. DP6 (or 6.01) is a shame of software.
MOTU sells a program FULL of serious bugs.
Sorry fans of Performer.
Many thanks.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

macpibe wrote:After reading previous DP6 user problems in this forum, I confirm this. DP6 (or 6.01) is a shame of software.
Sorry fans of Performer.
Many thanks.
No probs

If it was FULL of serious bugs as you say, why is very stable on my system?

Outside of a minor bug I have found, It has been very stable for 6 weeks and Ive done many recordings for clients WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

I'm not saying it's perfect either, but because it's unstable on YOUR system doesn't mean it unstable on EVERY SYSTEM.

maybe you should look at your system or go use logic.

Which is UNSTABLE on my system somethimes but I'm not going to write it off because of that.

I could on but I better not :?
waxman

Post by waxman »

My system is solid. Especially since the new vi and plug updates from BFD, Liquid Mixes Focusrite, Celemony and Waves. I am really enjoying this new update.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

macpibe wrote:After reading previous DP6 user problems in this forum, I confirm this. DP6 (or 6.01) is a shame of software.
Sorry fans of Performer.
Many thanks.
This attitude won't get you far. MOTU is NOT selling a program full of bugs. It DOES work for MANY incredibly well, so please don't spread misinformation just because it doesn't work for you. I use DP 6.01 on my laptop and I haven't noticed ANY problems so far. And DP 4.61 has been stupid great in my main rig for years now, virtually crash free.

BYE!!
Enjoy Logic! As if it didn't have its own issues too :roll:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman