Question about MIDI view window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sschachner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question about MIDI view window

Post by sschachner »

hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way for the MIDI view window to remember which tracks you had selected and were working on instead of always going back to the first one listed when you change windows and go back to the MIDI view. I just don't understand why it remembers in the sequence and mixer views but not the MIDI window. am i missing something obvious?? it drives me crazy.....

Thanks!

- Sarah
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There are some instances in which it does; I just can't think of them. Barring that, however, no. Maybe in DP6.

Meanwhile, always remember the Command-Click in the list, which selects everything BUT the one you click. Then click again, and they're all selected. It's just a fast way of getting all the tracks selected if you're working with several dozen tracks.

Are you using Leopard? If so, you can use Spaces as separate monitors, and set up your various windows in various spaces. By leaving them open that way, you never have to deal with this problem. Here's a link to a thread about that.

Lest you be worried about Leopard, I'm using DP 5.13 with Leopard in a Mac Pro, and I don't think I've had a single crash, despite having it open almost 24 hours a day for a couple of months now. I do save often, though. And I make backup copies, incremented in their names, about every 4 hours. One project now has about 30 backups. I'll throw them out at some point, but for now they aren't hurting anything.

So... even though there is no way to do what you ask, consistently, you do have some options that can help.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
sschachner

Post by sschachner »

thank you for the fast reply!

i guess there is no actual way to avoid that (grrrrrr) but your suggestions are very helpful. I just got the new 8-core macpro w/leopard and have 5.13 so i will try the spaces thing, it didn't occur to me but sounds like a really good solution, esp. since im also down to one monitor now.....

also contrary to your lack of crashing, i had dp freezing with the spinning wheel about every 20 minutes in leopard.....but its a new computer with newly installed things so it could be anything at this point...

thanks again!

- sarah
blue

Post by blue »

There is an option in the MIDI Editing preferences that will hide tracks that are not selected. If turned on, the tracks you have selected in the Tracks Overview will be the only ones displayed in the Graphic Editor the next time you open it.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

blue wrote:There is an option in the MIDI Editing preferences that will hide tracks that are not selected. If turned on, the tracks you have selected in the Tracks Overview will be the only ones displayed in the Graphic Editor the next time you open it.
So THAT'S why mine has been working. I thought it was just by chance I was doing "the right thing." When did they add that? I vaguely remember seeing it now, but like a lot of things, I just forgot all about it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

sschachner wrote:thank you for the fast reply!

i guess there is no actual way to avoid that (grrrrrr) but your suggestions are very helpful. I just got the new 8-core macpro w/leopard and have 5.13 so i will try the spaces thing, it didn't occur to me but sounds like a really good solution, esp. since im also down to one monitor now.....

also contrary to your lack of crashing, i had dp freezing with the spinning wheel about every 20 minutes in leopard.....but its a new computer with newly installed things so it could be anything at this point...

thanks again!

- sarah
Is it happening after anything in particular? If you can think to write down your last move when it happens, then report back here and let us know, that would be most helpful. Just start a new thread (or PM me if you don't want to do that, and I'll do it!) You might try running permissions repair in Disk Utility, and see if anything clears up. (it rarely seems to help, but once in a while it does)

Now that blue has filled us in on that MIDI window pref, you've got an answer to your question, PLUS a whole bunch of new monitors to work with! All fixed up!

Shoosh
blue

Post by blue »

Shooshie wrote:When did they add that?
It must have been recently. I found it by accident a couple of weeks ago and could have sworn I'd never seen it before. I'm still on 5.12, so it's been around at least since then. It's a great addition, for sure.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11